Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who is the Free Agent You Want the Most?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dawgpound1816

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Byrd/D.Gholdson for sure.

J.Byrd is the more centerfield type. Athletic, fast & ballhawkish type.

D.Gholdson is the more physical, athletic & hard hitting run support type.

It's so hard to choose, b/c I love both, but if I had to choose 1......Gholdson fits Hortons D better. Physicality in a little ball, big hitter, great in run support & decent in coverage. I'd love to have a true center fielder, but Gholdson makes more plays with his physical style.

R.I.P. Brother Crakburn - Never Bark in the Dark Brother Crakburn....For all of us Dawgs will be barking to the heavens for you.
PayJay

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawgpound1816 wrote:

1......Gholdson fits Hortons D better. Physicality in a little ball, big hitter, great in run support & decent in coverage. I'd love to have a true center fielder, but Gholdson makes more plays with his physical style.

OMG can you imagine the pads popping with Gholdson/Ward at FS/SS

^^^^^^^^^^^ sig by BGG ^^^^^^^^^^^
buno67

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FA i want most is Joe Flacco...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PayJay wrote:
dawgpound1816 wrote:

1......Gholdson fits Hortons D better. Physicality in a little ball, big hitter, great in run support & decent in coverage. I'd love to have a true center fielder, but Gholdson makes more plays with his physical style.

OMG can you imagine the pads popping with Gholdson/Ward at FS/SS

I know brother. Both players will keep the lanes clean.....teams will have to challenge our CBs period. The only way we don't stay aggressive at the LOS is if they beat us deep consistently. It will be imperative to get a rush OLB this offseason if we get Gholdson. Pressure is key to the hearts of the DBs.

My dream offseason would be Vasquez, Gholdson, S.Phillips & Jared Cook Jr in FA.
Milliner in the 1st.

R.I.P. Brother Crakburn - Never Bark in the Dark Brother Crakburn....For all of us Dawgs will be barking to the heavens for you.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Dawson. For sentimental reasons, as well as the gap between he and the next available player being greater a Kicker vs every other position.

Also, Josh Cribbs. For sentimental reasons, as well as the fact $1.8M (his reported asking price) is only $1M more (slighly more than double) than the league minimum for a veteran with 7-9 years vested ($840K). For perspective, Ray Ventrone has made $1.2M/year for the past 3 seasons in Cleveland, about double the leauge minimum for his status. Doesn't Cribbs deserve at least a Bubba Ventrone-type contract? I think so.

However, I plan on being disappointed.

As far as other teams' players, there are three or four areas that we absolutely have to fill with a quality starter before the draft. This Free Agency period should be an active one, with all the cap space and desire of the new regime to put it's mark on the team.

The four positions are ROLB, CB, FS and TE. Secondary targets could be added at OG, LB, RB and of course they have to make good on their stated goal of getting Weeden some competition by signing Matt Moore or whichever derelict on the FA QB market "confident" enough to think he can beat out Weeden.

ROLB - I would target Quentin Groves here, for obvious reasons. Horton seems to be the only coach in the league with the key to unlocking the potential that made Groves the 52nd overall pick in 2008.

Another possible target is Anthony Spencer. There are much bigger questions with Spencer, though. Will he or Sheard be able to play ROLB? How much would we have to spend to get him here? How many years does he have left at the level he is now (and will be paid at for the duration of his contract)? The reasonably priced alternative is Shaun Phillips, and he could very well be the most likely signing at this position given Lombardi's history with teams being very veteran-laden at linebacker.

CB - I would target Greg Toler here, again for obvious reasons. The Horton connection and the chance to start opposite Joe Haden should be enough to get him here for a decent price. He is an up and coming player, who has to know that Cleveland represents his best chance to continue to develop at the same rate that has gotten him to this point from St. Paul's College in Virginia.

Another possible target is Keenan Lewis. There's a decent argument for going after both, even. I put Toler first for fit and value, but understand why some would put Lewis at the top of their list.

FS - I would target Chris Clemons here, because he was one of the best overall Free Safeties in the league last year. He played 75% of his snaps "outside the box" according to PFF, but still posted good numbers in run stopping (6th in the league) and pass defense (8th in the league). There aren't many true FSs that can cover deep and support the run from back there.

Another possible target is Glover Quin. Not a true FS, but does well covering the slot (ranked 5th out of 40 slot CBs). He receives a lot of targets due to man coverage on the slot, but could be a very verasatile piece in the secondary for an imaginative DC like Horton.

TE - I would target Martellus Bennett here, because he's the best, most well-rounded TE available. Having that solid starter would allow Jordan Cameron and possibly a mid-to-late-round pick like Chris Gragg or Jake Stoneburner to be the move TE, flexing out wide and creating mismatches. He's fairly good as a receiving option, but excels as an in-line blocker. Would be worth top 10 TE money.

Another possible target is Anthony Fasano. He's also a well-rounded TE who is a reliable pass catcher. He could be a decent door prize if Bennett signs elsewhere.
dawgpound1816

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditch.....I like the resignings for sure, but hard to see Banner pursue both....letalone 1 of them. That's where my disappointment will lie.

I like the Groves pick up, and I think it will become a battle of price and differences btwn Lombardi & Horton. Draft one or go get one. If we don't get Groves....I think it will be Phillips and his drafted predecessor.

Toler or Lewis I'd be alright with, but again.......Lombardi vs. Horton. Get Milliner or pay for talent at a higher price.

Personally.....I don't like Clemons or Quin in the position of cash available, but I could see Quin moreso than Clemons in the position of slot coverage since Skrine hangs on WRs, and that would help scheme depth in the midst of it all.

I'm good with Bennett, just aslong as the Browns draft an athlete at TE. I don't like Cameron at all, and Fasano doesn't speak threat to me in Chuds system.

As you and mistake don't like the Big Ugly pickups, I personally think its better to spend money in FA on Good Veteran Big Uglys than to Draft one unless there's a stud available ala Mack & Thomas. Steinbach served us well, and was a great pickup to play inbetween Mack & Thomas. Plus.....it's cheaper to get a good OL in FA, than a weapon in FA.

I liked your offseason, but IMO needed a little more ugly weight.

Who would draft in this scenario brother?

ditchdigger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawgpound1816 wrote:
I liked your offseason, but IMO needed a little more ugly weight.

Who would draft in this scenario brother?

I had OG, LB and RB as secondary targets as well. Louis Vasquez seems like the most likely target there. I actually would prefer a veteran FA signing to a draftee at OG.

Who would I draft? Whoever I wanted, because all the primary holes are filled. My primary targets would be Damontre Moore, Dion Jordan and Ezekiel Ansah. You can never have too many pass rushers, and having Groves in place would allow you to not force your top draft pick into a position he isn't ready for. The same thought would apply if you drafted (presumably after a trade down) Milliner, Vacarro or Eifert.
Reginaldm9

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take Matt Moore.

Many of you may scoff at this, but the guy has been really solid as a starter. Not only that, but I think he pushes Weeden to play better as well. For those of you who want true competition, this is it. Moore isn't flashy, but wins games.

Adopt-a-Brown: Joe Haden
Stats: 1 big fat pay day
JCBrowns21

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kruger or Barwin for me. Need pass rushers and want to get one in FA and the draft.

I like Byrd, but it's more important to put pressure on the QB IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any solid #2 CB so we don't have to worry about drafting one in the 1st.

<3 JF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: