Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 NFL Combine Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
KBS756 wrote:
KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
The more I think about it the more drafting Matt Barkley makes too much sense not to happen

He's unlike any other USC QB in my eyes and reminds me a lot of Chad Pennington with more upside

I pray we draft him, I think he's going to be up there with Luck

From what I have heard, and at times seen about his arm strength it scares me to be honest. He may have the best NFL head on his shoulders but if he cant get the ball out there with authority it wont really mean all that much.

I think he'll be better when healthy after the procedure due to rehabilitation which strengths the surrounding muscles

As long as he can accurately hit the 15 yard outs, drive the ball at least 50-60 yards with precise touch then he's fine

I still think he'll be a top 5 Quarterback one day IF YOU BUILD AROUND HIM PROPERLY AND PLAY TO HIS STRENGTHS

I see a ton of Sanchez comparisons but Mark has nothing on Barkley's mechanics and Barkley has 4 years of experience at the college level

He can't. Luck struggles hitting the 10 to 15 yard outs and he has a much stronger and better arm than Barkley.

But again its a process, Barkley wants to come in and play from day 1 however he'll likely need a year or 2 to really come into his own. I'm willing to take that risk, I think he's that good

There is no coming into his own. There is no improving his arm. He doesn't have mechanical issues.

His strongest parts of his game are the mental aspects, he's completely lacking physically.

The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
KBS756

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
KBS756 wrote:
KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
The more I think about it the more drafting Matt Barkley makes too much sense not to happen

He's unlike any other USC QB in my eyes and reminds me a lot of Chad Pennington with more upside

From what I have heard, and at times seen about his arm strength it scares me to be honest. He may have the best NFL head on his shoulders but if he cant get the ball out there with authority it wont really mean all that much.

I think he'll be better when healthy after the procedure due to rehabilitation which strengths the surrounding muscles

As long as he can accurately hit the 15 yard outs, drive the ball at least 50-60 yards with precise touch then he's fine

I still think he'll be a top 5 Quarterback one day IF YOU BUILD AROUND HIM PROPERLY AND PLAY TO HIS STRENGTHS

I see a ton of Sanchez comparisons but Mark has nothing on Barkley's mechanics and Barkley has 4 years of experience at the college level

He can't. Luck struggles hitting the 10 to 15 yard outs and he has a much stronger and better arm than Barkley.

But again its a process, Barkley wants to come in and play from day 1 however he'll likely need a year or 2 to really come into his own. I'm willing to take that risk, I think he's that good

There is no coming into his own. There is no improving his arm. He doesn't have mechanical issues.

His strongest parts of his game are the mental aspects, he's completely lacking physically.

Unfortunately I gotta agree Barkley does not have the arm strength and his mechanics are about as clean as you get his arm won't get much stonger which sucks because he seems to have a lot if the other thibgs you look for in a QB. Accuracy, good weight, decent height, big hands, High football iq and a good character guy as well
KingOfTheHill84

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KBS756 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
KBS756 wrote:
KingOfTheHill84 wrote:

Unfortunately I gotta agree Barkley does not have the arm strength and his mechanics are about as clean as you get his arm won't get much stonger which sucks because he seems to have a lot if the other thibgs you look for in a QB. Accuracy, good weight, decent height, big hands, High football iq and a good character guy as well

I'd still pull the trigger, his arm strength isn't a huge red flag to me

[quote="Ring Worm Sherm"]Revis hasn't done jack since 09[/quote]Fly-A-Jet 2013 Jeremy Kerley
Rec:5 Yards:70 TDs:0 PR Average:7 ypa
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfTheHill84 wrote:

Lack of size, arm strength and mobility? I'm not taking that in the first. In the second, it's worth considering but I think I'd opt not to still.

The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

KingOfTheHill84

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
KingOfTheHill84 wrote:

Lack of size, arm strength and mobility? I'm not taking that in the first. In the second, it's worth considering but I think I'd opt not to still.

6'2 about 230 is fine
his arm strength while not elite is good enough
he's mobile enough to evade the rush

[quote="Ring Worm Sherm"]Revis hasn't done jack since 09[/quote]Fly-A-Jet 2013 Jeremy Kerley
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
KingOfTheHill84 wrote:

6'2 about 230 is fine

6'2" is on the short end for a QB. Not going to hinder you but not ideal either. His arm strength is in no way, shape or form "good enough". Good enough means that you can make all the throws. Barkley can't. His arm is what you call limited.

And he's really not mobile enough either. He'll have to learn to expertly maneuver the pocket with quick, subtle moves because he doesn't have a lot of escapability.

What you're talking about here is a guy who simply doesn't have the physical tools. I have a lot of doubts about his long term viability as a NFL starter. At best, you're talking Chad Pennington or Jon Kitna. But you're more likely getting a guy like Matt Cassel, Kyle Orton or Trent Edwards. Basically, a limited QB that can put together some solid years in the right environment but isn't the long term answer as a starter.

But hey, that's just my opinion. I've been pretty consistent on this since 2012 Draft.

The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

KingOfTheHill84

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can respect all of your opinions on Barkley but I just see a traditional QB here. The type of guy we need to build around, he's a QB at heart and thats what we need.

As far as his arm strength, the deep ball shouldn't be a staple in our offense but more of a home run type play we got to 5-7 times a game depending on the situation, as far as his throws to the sideline 15-20 yards deep we need to focus on having a clean pocket and reliable check downs so he doesn't feel the need to force the issue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4SfjfEyBgc

this tape has a lot of good and bad Barkley but I'd be willing to bet on him being an excellent pro at this level with our new OC and potentially a more versatile offense

IvyLeague

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tavon Austin 4.25
IvyLeague

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.25 for Marquise Goodwin. Holy [inappropriate/removed].
KBS756

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
KingOfTheHill84 wrote:

6'2 about 230 is fine

6'2" is on the short end for a QB. Not going to hinder you but not ideal either. His arm strength is in no way, shape or form "good enough". Good enough means that you can make all the throws. Barkley can't. His arm is what you call limited.

And he's really not mobile enough either. He'll have to learn to expertly maneuver the pocket with quick, subtle moves because he doesn't have a lot of escapability.

What you're talking about here is a guy who simply doesn't have the physical tools. I have a lot of doubts about his long term viability as a NFL starter. At best, you're talking Chad Pennington or Jon Kitna. But you're more likely getting a guy like Matt Cassel, Kyle Orton or Trent Edwards. Basically, a limited QB that can put together some solid years in the right environment but isn't the long term answer as a starter.

But hey, that's just my opinion. I've been pretty consistent on this since 2012 Draft.

Couple opinions on a few things you said

6'2 isn't all that bad for an NFL QB I believe the average is 6'3 and on top of that he is 230 LBs so he's very well built especially compared to Bray and Glennon.

In terms of arm strength I am not sure it's as bad as you say, but it definitely is far from ideal, which I really dont want in a QB here especially because we will have to play bad weather games and arm strength isn't good enough for us.

In terms of pocket manipulation, he is by far the best QB in this draft with that as well as mechanics. Unfortunately he seems the most NFL ready QB mentally which also would mean he's about hit his ceiling already.

And Chad Pennington I honestly would not mind having Chad Pennington again, I just don't think Barkely pans out to even Chad Pennington when he was good.

KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
I can respect all of your opinions on Barkley but I just see a traditional QB here. The type of guy we need to build around, he's a QB at heart and thats what we need.

As far as his arm strength, the deep ball shouldn't be a staple in our offense but more of a home run type play we got to 5-7 times a game depending on the situation, as far as his throws to the sideline 15-20 yards deep we need to focus on having a clean pocket and reliable check downs so he doesn't feel the need to force the issue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4SfjfEyBgc

this tape has a lot of good and bad Barkley but I'd be willing to bet on him being an excellent pro at this level with our new OC and potentially a more versatile offense

Name the top 10 QBs in the NFL today and tell me who has a weaker arm then Barkley?

On a side note I want Tavon Austin, he'd be an instant boost to our offense deadly versatile weapon we desperately need, instantaneously would make us a better offense.
MoLewis57

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping this thread blew up talking about someone i gave a flying penis in vagina about. Not matt barkley
IvyLeague

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty damn fast group. Interested to see Patterson run. I don't see any of the notable RBs posting a crazy time.
quietjetsket

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan to take Matt Barkley, take Ryan Nassib.

Ryan Walsh Griffin.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im just now getting up. 2 4.2's? damn. I can't wait to see Wheaton's

Quote:
Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it. - Johnny Depp
KBS756

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler Bray runs a 5.00 40 No surprise didnt expect him to have any real speed. Same with Glennon, who honestly I think ran a bit faster then I thought he would run.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 11 of 33

Jump to: