Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Free-Agency Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
I really think Josh Cribbs makes some sense for the Pats. He'd have competition for returning duties, but he plays on kick coverage and he's the kind of shifty YAC receiver that the Pats seem to get more things out of than most teams. Don't know if the value is there unless he's definitely going to be returning kicks, though. The reported $1.8-2M is a lot for a backup returner, ST cover guy, and #4/5 WR.

He's not a good WR and the Pats don't use the Wildcat (where Cribbs' value on offense is).

Unless Edelman walks, it's a very poor fit IMO. Even then, $2M for a punt returner is bad value for a team which doesn't have much cap room.
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Titans signed former Bills Safety George Wilson Sad Sad

It's only 2m/year as well...the Pats could afford that. Darn.

I'm pretty sold on Woodson coming here then...small contract so he can hunt for a second ring. Makes sense.

Adopt-a-Pat 2014: Robert Gronkowski TE
Rec: 82 Yards: 1124 TDs: 12
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tavon Austin.w/ 4.25 unofficial 40. BB in stands now, NFL Network showed him.

Sig by Smack
AAP Chandler Jones
2.5 Sax, 17 tackles, 1 TD
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bills will not tender David Nelson, he is coming off an ACL injury but i liked him in 2011. He's 6-5 and maybe we can sign him to a cheap deal, although he is not really the Patriots type of receiver.
Tom Brady Tribute
adesilva

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Bills will not tender David Nelson, he is coming off an ACL injury but i liked him in 2011. He's 6-5 and maybe we can sign him to a cheap deal, although he is not really the Patriots type of receiver.

Agreed, not who you would expect but he could be good insurance to have around in case the Pats can't find anyone they like in the draft ( don't want to go in having to pick a player at a specific position).
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:

Nelson is terrible, and as you point out, not a Pat style player.

He put up some halfway decent numbers because of how bad the Buffalo WR corps was but he's no better than a lot of the practice squad/undrafted/late round pick type the Pats can pick up in the next few months.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:

Nelson is terrible, and as you point out, not a Pat style player.

He put up some halfway decent numbers because of how bad the Buffalo WR corps was but he's no better than a lot of the practice squad/undrafted/late round pick type the Pats can pick up in the next few months.

The Bills used him in the slot and just had him run crossing routes and seam routes. We have Gronk and Hernandez, we don't need a poor man's receiving tight end.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles released DT Cullen Jenkins, we need a good interior pass-rusher, that's what Jenkins is if he has enough left in the tank.
Tom Brady Tribute
Sciz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Eagles released DT Cullen Jenkins, we need a good interior pass-rusher, that's what Jenkins is if he has enough left in the tank.
Makes sense at the right price. Was a 60% snap guy last year, and I think the Pats would want to keep him at less than that, maybe in the 40-45% range. Seems to still have that burst inside, though.

My guess is that he's going back to GB, though. They have a big need for an interior rusher too.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread takes an whole other outlook following the Brady extension [i love you Brady]
Tom Brady Tribute
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
Makes sense at the right price. Was a 60% snap guy last year, and I think the Pats would want to keep him at less than that, maybe in the 40-45% range. Seems to still have that burst inside, though.

My guess is that he's going back to GB, though. They have a big need for an interior rusher too.

Jenkins was pretty brutal last year. He'd still be a decent sub player, but I would think someone will pay him way more than the Pats would value that spot for.
Sciz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two nuggets from Bedard:
Quote:
The Patriots could very well use the transition tag -- right of refusal and no compensation, as opposed to two first-round picks with the franchise tag -- on Talib and save about $1.7 million. NFL teams in Indianapolis are talking more about this possibility, and the Patriots could be involved;

The Patriots are expected to be active on the free-agent market at cornerback, receiver and defensive end. Brady's deal gives them a lot more room.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2013/02/what_does_brady.html

I had mentioned the Talib trans tag option a while ago. Makes way more sense than the franchise tag. Would cost $8.9M as opposed to $10.6M.

Interesting that DE is mentioned as a position they'd look at. I wonder if that means a starting LE or just a situational guy like Freeney.
NinjaZX6R

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
Two nuggets from Bedard:
Quote:
The Patriots could very well use the transition tag -- right of refusal and no compensation, as opposed to two first-round picks with the franchise tag -- on Talib and save about $1.7 million. NFL teams in Indianapolis are talking more about this possibility, and the Patriots could be involved;

The Patriots are expected to be active on the free-agent market at cornerback, receiver and defensive end. Brady's deal gives them a lot more room.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2013/02/what_does_brady.html

I had mentioned the Talib trans tag option a while ago. Makes way more sense than the franchise tag. Would cost $8.9M as opposed to $10.6M.

Interesting that DE is mentioned as a position they'd look at. I wonder if that means a starting LE or just a situational guy like Freeney.

Besides the 2011 season, I can't remember how often teams used the transition tag.
TomRalph

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is a Transition Tag?

Is it basically like RFA in the NBA where you have the opportunity to match any contract offer that comes in for him and if no offers come in you pay him that amount?

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola Status: Being Severely Underutilised
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinjaZX6R wrote:
Sciz wrote:
Two nuggets from Bedard:
Quote:

Besides the 2011 season, I can't remember how often teams used the transition tag.

Because it's pretty useless given the relatively small gap between the franchise and transition amounts. Yes, the Pats are somewhat tight with the cap (though the Brady extension is a big relief) given their holes, but the extra $1.7M difference is fairly insignificant in the grand scheme given the compensation tied to the respective tags.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 7 of 74

Jump to: