Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

MMA Thread XXII | GSP-Diaz up next
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 97, 98, 99  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 25137
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
Ronda Rousey could armbar a double amputee...

I thought the whole card was pretty damn entertaining. Bermudez-Grice might be fight of the year in February. We got another Rousey armbar after overcoming adversety, we got a sick transition from a standing crucifix to standing RNC by Faber, Koscheck got his lights turned out which is always awesome, Chiesa had a nice RNC as well, and Kenny Robertson had a sick kneebar.

I'm not sure I'd call it Kos' "lights getting turned out". In fact, I was kind of PO'd at Herb because I felt like (especially after what he left go in the 3rd of Bermudez/Grice) he robbed us of the opportunity to see Kos actually make Rashad face. Was a kill shot almost certainly coming? Pretty much, unless Lawler just flat out gassed which was unlikely since he was fighting at much closer to his natural weight. But Kos was still intelligently defending himself, so I can see the argument for the stoppage being labelled premature - and not just because I wanted to see Josh KTFO'd.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bmore4life815


Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 3429
Location: Climbing up M&T
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still pretty stunned as a Kos fan (yes, we do exist), but props to Robbie. I personally thought the stoppage may have been a tad premature, but it was understandable.

I think Lawler/Pyle is a matchup that makes sense now. As for Kos..... I really don't know.
_________________

Bernard "Crush Boy" Pollard- Forever a Raven

El Ramster on the sig that isn't going anywhere
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bkobow05


Joined: 16 Dec 2005
Posts: 49191
Location: Milwaukee, WI (PB87 on the RAD sig!)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmore4life815 wrote:
Still pretty stunned as a Kos fan (yes, we do exist), but props to Robbie. I personally thought the stoppage may have been a tad premature, but it was understandable.

I think Lawler/Pyle is a matchup that makes sense now. As for Kos..... I really don't know.
I thought I was the only Kos fan on FF haha.
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PuntMyLumps


Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Posts: 1584
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolverine_Joe wrote:
PuntMyLumps wrote:
We can hate on WMMA all we want, (I have been) but here we are talking about it.


i don't get all this hate. that fight was entertaining


A dominant WNBA team is still a WNBA team.
_________________



Do I dare to eat a peach?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ArodFanboy


Joined: 28 Dec 2008
Posts: 4663
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkobow05 wrote:
bmore4life815 wrote:
Still pretty stunned as a Kos fan (yes, we do exist), but props to Robbie. I personally thought the stoppage may have been a tad premature, but it was understandable.

I think Lawler/Pyle is a matchup that makes sense now. As for Kos..... I really don't know.
I thought I was the only Kos fan on FF haha.


That makes 3 of us. I honestly wouldn't be very surprised if he retired at this point. He just hasn't been the same guy since George jabbed him to death. Don't know if his hearts truly in it anymore.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PuntMyLumps


Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Posts: 1584
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
PuntMyLumps wrote:
We can hate on WMMA all we want, (I have been) but here we are talking about it.

I'm actually not hating on it so much as hating the way it's being handled. It's like the lower weight divisions, you either commit to them and give them regular promotion or just don't bother. I'm not convinced we're going to see many, if any, WMMA fights in the UFC that don't involve Rousey on one side of the cage.


I'm pretty down on BW/Flyweight as well though. It's obviously possible to have fighters that have all the tools to be spectacular competitors in these divisions, but the pool is very, very thin and it shows. Also you run into physiological issues that dramatically change the sport in ways that I feel (and most seem to agree) make it less interesting. I do think the nature of promotion is an overlooked factor though. Look at the way 145 has developed- it certainly won me over. And BW is making some pushes too, with guys like Alex Caceres and Johnny Bedford climbing up my 'favorite fighter" list.
_________________



Do I dare to eat a peach?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PuntMyLumps


Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Posts: 1584
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArodFanboy wrote:
bkobow05 wrote:
bmore4life815 wrote:
Still pretty stunned as a Kos fan (yes, we do exist), but props to Robbie. I personally thought the stoppage may have been a tad premature, but it was understandable.

I think Lawler/Pyle is a matchup that makes sense now. As for Kos..... I really don't know.
I thought I was the only Kos fan on FF haha.


That makes 3 of us. I honestly wouldn't be very surprised if he retired at this point. He just hasn't been the same guy since George jabbed him to death. Don't know if his hearts truly in it anymore.


I've been a big AKA guy, and I'd say I have a relatively favorable opinion of Kos (root for him in pretty much all his fights, despite some negative feelings for him) but I can pretty much echo your sentiment in 5 words:

Was getting out-struck by Hughes.
_________________



Do I dare to eat a peach?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kempes


Joined: 12 Sep 2009
Posts: 11731
Location: England
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grice v Bermudez was a war. Really good fight.

I don't think Rousey will ever lose.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bkobow05


Joined: 16 Dec 2005
Posts: 49191
Location: Milwaukee, WI (PB87 on the RAD sig!)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldo's camp is refusing to fight Pettis, saying he doesn't deserve the 145 lbs shot. Funny...they didn't say anything about Frankie...

Oh they scared.
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ArodFanboy


Joined: 28 Dec 2008
Posts: 4663
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a huge Pettis fan, that being said I'll admit he really doesn't deserve a shot for simply moving down. However his fight makes a lot more sense to me then Jones/Sonnen and even Diaz/GSP. If Aldo really is worrying about this fight, Pettis will take it. He's an extremely confident fighter.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PuntMyLumps


Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Posts: 1584
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArodFanboy wrote:
I'm a huge Pettis fan, that being said I'll admit he really doesn't deserve a shot for simply moving down. However his fight makes a lot more sense to me then Jones/Sonnen and even Diaz/GSP. If Aldo really is worrying about this fight, Pettis will take it. He's an extremely confident fighter.


I generally would agree that a guy should fight once at the division before getting a shot (look at KenFlo) but I think Pettis' situation is sort of an exception. Pettis has been an absolute monster in his last two fights, and really has earned a shot at 155. Then you look at him physically and see the cut really shouldn't be an issue, and his reasoning for not dropping sooner, Erik Koch his teammate being a contender, is certainly believable.
_________________



Do I dare to eat a peach?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PuntMyLumps


Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Posts: 1584
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish the champs would stop trying to pick their own fights. It's one of the things I respect most about Bendo. Cain seems like he might be the same way. I guess Cruz, Barao, and Mighty Mouse haven't pulled that card yet, but it's pretty obvious they don't have the card in their hand yet anyway.
_________________



Do I dare to eat a peach?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bkobow05


Joined: 16 Dec 2005
Posts: 49191
Location: Milwaukee, WI (PB87 on the RAD sig!)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PuntMyLumps wrote:
I wish the champs would stop trying to pick their own fights. It's one of the things I respect most about Bendo. Cain seems like he might be the same way. I guess Cruz, Barao, and Mighty Mouse haven't pulled that card yet, but it's pretty obvious they don't have the card in their hand yet anyway.
Agreed. There's absolutely no reason why Gusty/Machida should be taking a backseat to Chael. Same for Hendricks with Diaz. Love Nick but its Hendricks shot.
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mossburg


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
Joined: 02 Jan 2005
Posts: 43727
Location: Straight Cash Inc. Headquarters
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
PuntMyLumps wrote:
We can hate on WMMA all we want, (I have been) but here we are talking about it.

I'm actually not hating on it so much as hating the way it's being handled. It's like the lower weight divisions, you either commit to them and give them regular promotion or just don't bother. I'm not convinced we're going to see many, if any, WMMA fights in the UFC that don't involve Rousey on one side of the cage.


Yup. I wanted to see Rousey lose just to see what happens.
_________________
Equal Opportunity Hater

EFF YOUR FANTASY TEAM, I HOPE YOU LOSE

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BillsGuy82


Joined: 16 Jan 2007
Posts: 9554
Location: Niagara Falls
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkobow05 wrote:
PuntMyLumps wrote:
I wish the champs would stop trying to pick their own fights. It's one of the things I respect most about Bendo. Cain seems like he might be the same way. I guess Cruz, Barao, and Mighty Mouse haven't pulled that card yet, but it's pretty obvious they don't have the card in their hand yet anyway.
Agreed. There's absolutely no reason why Gusty/Machida should be taking a backseat to Chael. Same for Hendricks with Diaz. Love Nick but its Hendricks shot.


I like the set up now.. The Champ says "unfinished business" with Diaz so that's the fight right there. If Hendricks happens to loose to Carlos Condit than the door blows wide open for Damian Maia (who I hope fight Ellenberger on the card.

Honestly the only 2 fighters I see as biggest threats to GSP is Maia and Rory but Rory needs a bit more seasoning.

Let's say

GSP w/ Diaz
Condot w/ Hendricks
Maia w/ Ellenberger

Would anyone oppose Maia / GSP ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 97, 98, 99  Next
Page 94 of 99

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group