Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Browns wouldn't rule out trading Brandon Weeden, Colt McCoy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiltman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Makes sense to trade Colt, Weeden not so much, give him another year not like the draft is strong with QB's.

Agreed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
I know a lot of people like to bash Weeden, but he didn't play half bad last year. He was ok for a rookie. Seems rash to throw him under the bus.

Then again, he might win the spot. But this doesn't exactly show any confidence in the guy.

with his age and how pro-ready some thought he was, he kinda deserved some of what he got

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
SwiftTexan wrote:
theJ wrote:
I know a lot of people like to bash Weeden, but he didn't play half bad last year. He was ok for a rookie. Seems rash to throw him under the bus.

Then again, he might win the spot. But this doesn't exactly show any confidence in the guy.

How long can you wait for him to develop? Not to mention new HC probably wants his own QB

Considering the availability of QB's out there, i'd give him another year at the very least.

What else is Cleveland going to do? Go after Alex Smith? Matt Flynn? What would be the point?

well, alex smith is younger than weeden, better than weeden, better than anything we could get in the draft this year and sould instantly put us in contention for an 8-8 season which... we havent seen since the last time rob chudzinski was in town.

oh and alex smith loves norv turner.
DawgX

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
theJ wrote:

with his age and how pro-ready some thought he was, he kinda deserved some of what he got

Just because he's older doesn't mean he's more experienced than any other rookie. And who thought he was pro-ready? Just because he's older doesn't mean he was pro ready.

I'd be shocked if the Browns traded Weeden. There really aren't any better options out there right now so they might as well stick with him for at least one more reason. Like others have said, Weeden wasn't nearly as bad as some make him out to be. He had some bad games but he also had some good games. If he was younger I bet most Browns fans would be perfectly fine going forward with him. I thought he had a solid rookie year and now he's going to be in an offense that suits him much better.
BillsGuy82

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeden was not that bad
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgX wrote:
Just because he's older doesn't mean he's more experienced than any other rookie. And who thought he was pro-ready? Just because he's older doesn't mean he was pro ready.

At what point in his development is he supposed to move along faster than your typical prospect, then? I'd expect him to perform at least a little better as a 29 year old rookie than as a 22 year old rookie. And if he wasn't pro ready at 29, I'd like to know why the heck he had any kind of draft value whatsoever. Just look at what rookie QBs did in 2012 - they're more pro ready than ever before. I'd be hard pressed to say that Weeden outperformed any of his fellow rookies.

Quote:
Like others have said, Weeden wasn't nearly as bad as some make him out to be. He had some bad games but he also had some good games. If he was younger I bet most Browns fans would be perfectly fine going forward with him. I thought he had a solid rookie year and now he's going to be in an offense that suits him much better.

Solid relative to what? Relative to what we'd expect from a 29 year old rookie? Relative to what we'd expect from any rookie? Neither of those were the case last year. He was outperformed by his four other Week 1 starting counterparts. Nick Foles seemed to outplay him in limited playing time, and Kirk Cousins looked worlds better in a very small sample. He was very arguably, if not probably, the worst rookie QB to play last year.

"Solid" seems to be a spinful, empty word to me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgX wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
theJ wrote:

I'd be shocked if the Browns traded Weeden. There really aren't any better options out there right now so they might as well stick with him for at least one more reason. Like others have said, Weeden wasn't nearly as bad as some make him out to be. He had some bad games but he also had some good games. If he was younger I bet most Browns fans would be perfectly fine going forward with him. I thought he had a solid rookie year and now he's going to be in an offense that suits him much better.

When you draft a 28 year old QB (the age a QB should be in his prime) in the 1st round, you are saying you believe he is pro ready.

Nacho Simulation Football League
candyman93

Location: The Man, The Myth, The Legend El Ramster on the sig
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
Nick Foles seemed to outplay him in limited playing time, and Kirk Cousins looked worlds better in a very small sample

I think it's stupid to compare those rookie QBs who didn't have as much tape on them as Weeden.

sdrawkcab321 wrote:
It'll be a cold day in hell when I read a thread title.
UofMfan909

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
Alex Smith was awful until he had elite talent around him.

I don't understand why people like him

Wasn't he respectable in 06 with Norv Turner as OC? They did have Gore, but Vernon Davis wasn't what he was going to be yet, and I don't know who their WR's were.

Yeah, he really looked a lot better under Norv than he did in his rookie year and I think that losing him really hindered his development. VD was a rookie and got injured, didn't really make much of an impact (285 yards). His leading receivers were Antonio Bryant and Arnaz Battle, and they were really the only wide receivers on the roster (Bryan Gilmore had 150 yards receiving). That was Gore's best season, though, and took a lot of pressure off of him.

Norv + Alex would be a good match, especially with how much better Smith is now than he was in 2006.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
DawgX wrote:

At what point in his development is he supposed to move along faster than your typical prospect, then? I'd expect him to perform at least a little better as a 29 year old rookie than as a 22 year old rookie. And if he wasn't pro ready at 29, I'd like to know why the heck he had any kind of draft value whatsoever. Just look at what rookie QBs did in 2012 - they're more pro ready than ever before. I'd be hard pressed to say that Weeden outperformed any of his fellow rookies.

Quote:
Like others have said, Weeden wasn't nearly as bad as some make him out to be. He had some bad games but he also had some good games. If he was younger I bet most Browns fans would be perfectly fine going forward with him. I thought he had a solid rookie year and now he's going to be in an offense that suits him much better.

Solid relative to what? Relative to what we'd expect from a 29 year old rookie? Relative to what we'd expect from any rookie? Neither of those were the case last year. He was outperformed by his four other Week 1 starting counterparts. Nick Foles seemed to outplay him in limited playing time, and Kirk Cousins looked worlds better in a very small sample. He was very arguably, if not probably, the worst rookie QB to play last year.

"Solid" seems to be a spinful, empty word to me.

Pretty much this. If Weeden was 23 I think everyone would be labeling him as the "Franchise QB" but since he's 29 you have to question his ability. How long is it going to take him to adjust to the NFL game? 2-3 years? By then he'll be well in his 30's and you have to wonder if he'll be on the decline.

It was a horrible pick from the get go.. No one was drafting a 28 year old rookie in the 1st round and that pick would've been easily available in the second or even third..

As for Alex Smith he would be a great addition and they'll be a dark horse playoff contender with an aging division. Alex Smith is one of the most underrated players in the game..
Aristotle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UofMfan909 wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
Alex Smith was awful until he had elite talent around him.

I don't understand why people like him

Wasn't he respectable in 06 with Norv Turner as OC? They did have Gore, but Vernon Davis wasn't what he was going to be yet, and I don't know who their WR's were.

Yeah, he really looked a lot better under Norv than he did in his rookie year and I think that losing him really hindered his development. VD was a rookie and got injured, didn't really make much of an impact (285 yards). His leading receivers were Antonio Bryant and Arnaz Battle, and they were really the only wide receivers on the roster (Bryan Gilmore had 150 yards receiving). That was Gore's best season, though, and took a lot of pressure off of him.

Norv + Alex would be a good match, especially with how much better Smith is now than he was in 2006.

It would be a great addition. Don't forget Alex was very raw coming into the NFL and he would've been one of those spread type of QB's like Cam, Kaep, etc.(Not as athletic though)

I would think the Browns offense would look alot like the niners offense the past two years under Alex and that should get Browns fans excited. Solid run game, solid O-line and let Alex do what he does best(run the offense with great efficiency) It will also help out their defense as you'll see the Browns running large chunks of times on offense which will only help them out
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree they shouldnt trade Weeden.

I dont expect him to turn into anything, but at the very least, keep him around to push whatever other QB they bring in.

Colt McCoy has no real trade value. That doesnt mean no one will trade for him...it just means you could probably land a QB of his caliber late in the draft that has more potential than he does.
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
Nick Foles seemed to outplay him in limited playing time, and Kirk Cousins looked worlds better in a very small sample

I think it's stupid to compare those rookie QBs who didn't have as much tape on them as Weeden.

It's not something you can put as much stock into, but it certainly doesn't help his case. If we can just write off Weeden's struggles because of him being a rookie, why didn't other younger rookies seem to struggle as much, if at all with it?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know why they drafted Weeden that high anyway. A team like Cleveland shouldn't draft a 28 yr. old to be their #1 QB.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom cody wrote:
Don't know why they drafted Weeden that high anyway. A team like Cleveland shouldn't draft a 28 yr. old to be their #1 QB.

Why not? Its not like he's a RB. His age shouldn't matter when most QBs play into their late 30s

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: