Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Being the GM for the Panthers..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Being the GM for the Panthers.. Reply with quote

So here is the deal. I am running the Panthers in my GM league and wanted the Panthers fans opinions on the offseason so far. I have started to become a fan ever since they draft Cam Newton (favorite player) and I am liking them more and more.

These drafts are not supposed to be realistic. It's just mostly for fun, see if you can improve the team or not. There is no cap in this league.

Depth Chart:

QB: Cam Newton, Jimmy Clausen
RB: Bilil Powell, Ronnie Brown, Armond Smith
FB: Mike Tolbert
WR: Brandon LaFell, Robert Meachem, Markus Wheaton, Armanti Edwards, Ted Ginn Jr., Joe Adams
TE: Greg Olsen, Nelson Rosario, Ben Hartsock, Kyle Miller
OT: Jordan Gross, Garry Williams, Byron Bell, Bruce Campbell
OG: David Diehl, Geoff Hangartner, Amini Silatolu, Zack Williams, Mike Pollack,
C: Ryan Kalil, Jeff Byars

DE: Greg Hardy, Damontre Moore, Antwan Applewhite, Frostee Rucker, Thomas Keiser, Frank Alexander
DT: Sione Fua, Andre Neblett, Dwan Edwards, Martin Tevaseu, Frank Kearse, Ron Edwards
OLB: Luke Kuechly, James Anderson, Thomas Davis, Erin Henderson, Jason Phillips, Jason Williams
MLB: Jon Beason, Doug Hogue, Jordan Senn
CB: Chris Gamble, Tracy Porter, Captain Munnerlyn, Josh Norman, Josh Thomas, James Dockery, Nate Ness
S: Charles Godfrey, Anderson Russell, Colin Jones, Sherrod Martin, Haruki Nakamura

K: Graham Gano
P: Brad Nortman
LS: J.J. Jansen

Draft picks:
1. (9)- Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M
-A top 5 talent, Moore slides to #9 and we make an aggressive move up to get him. He instantly gives us a pass rusher where Johnson used to be.

2. (44)- Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State
-Smith's replacement, Wheaton is a very good WR.. he will blow up at the combine, mark it down.
3. (90)
4. (105)
7. (203)

Cut/Releases:
Derek Anderson QB
Tauren Poole RB
Lamont Bryant WR
Richie Brockel TE
Thomas AustinC
Mario Addison DE
David Gettis WR
Louis Murphy WR
Kealoha Pilares WR
Gary Barnidge TE
Hayworth Hicks OG
Justin Wells OG
Kenny Onatolu MLB
Nick Hixson CB

Free Agents:
Ronnie Brown RB- Nice back up RB who has experience.
Kyle Miller TE- Young talent who could develop nicely for Cam.
David Diehl OG- Experienced OG to teach the young boys.
Frostee Rucker DE- Depth at DE.
Erin Henderson OLB- Depth at OLB.
Martin Tevaseu DT- Depth/potential starter?

Trades:
Panthers receive: Ted Ginn Jr.
49ers receive: 6th round, #173

-This was a no brainer. Ginn is one of the best returners in the game, and could be used nicely in our offense.

Panthers receive: Tracy Porter and a 3rd rounder, #90
Broncos receive: Charles Johnson

-This one was tough, but I knew I was going to end up with either a good DE in the first 2 rounds, and adding a starter and draft pick for Johnson was too good to pass up.. I think? Please let me know if I made a mistake here..

Panthers receive: Robert Meachem
Chargers receive: Jonathan Stewart and a 5th round pick, #141

-I wanted to give Stewart a fresh, new start somewhere, and needed WR depth.

Panthers receive: #9 and Bilil Powell
Jets receive: #14, DeAngelo Williams, Steve Smith

-Toughest trade yet. The Panthers would never trade Smith, but Damontre Moore was on the board at #9, and I believe Powell will be better than Williams when it is all said and done. Sad to see Smith leave, but it was best for the team.

Please let me know what you think!

XBL-theUrbanator69
Student @ smww.com
Twitter: @draft4mark
Zithers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trading smitty, cj, and stew = 0/10

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the CJ for Porter and a pick since you kept Gamble, and counting on a rookie DE you don't know what you will get.

Ronnie Brown is over the hill I think. I dont see trading both the backs.

Thanks CK
boondock

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what everyone else is saying. A pretty poor Panthers offseason.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if this happened the panthers fan base would plummet. almost all the trades are IMO terrible for thepanthers. trading our starting caliber rbs and our franchises best wr for what amounts to a hill of beans (meachem completely sux and powell couldn't even beat out shonn greene so no way is he better than d will) would cause a riot. i dont think gettlemen wuold last too long if he did this.

CarolinaKitten on the sig
CAROLINA DID NOT DRAFT ARMANTI EDWARDS TO PLAY QB...or at all. Man he sucks
PantherDE90

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of those trades are absurd. You got trade raped. You could have gotten 3rd maybe a 2nd for Stew yet you traded him for Meachem(sucks) and gave up a 5th as well. Most I would give for him is maybe a 6th by itself. Trading D-Will and Smitty to move up 5 spots and get a RB who would be 3rd/4th string on this team now. Wow that's just retarded. Worse of all you traded arguable the best defensive player on the Panthers and top 5 DE for an average (at best) corner and a 3rd.

Objectively speaking, you're a terrible GM. The Panthers would be set back years if this were the case.

"There are many things given to us in this life for the wrong reasons. What we do with such blessings, that is the true test of a man." - Gannicus
Toughguy77

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PantherDE90 wrote:
All of those trades are absurd. You got trade raped. You could have gotten 3rd maybe a 2nd for Stew yet you traded him for Meachem(sucks) and gave up a 5th as well. Most I would give for him is maybe a 6th by itself. Trading D-Will and Smitty to move up 5 spots and get a RB who would be 3rd/4th string on this team now. Wow that's just retarded. Worse of all you traded arguable the best defensive player on the Panthers and top 5 DE for an average (at best) corner and a 3rd.

Objectively speaking, you're a terrible GM. The Panthers would be set back years if this were the case.

^This

*2013 NFC South Champions* Panthers
Mike Davis Watch
80 CAR 368 YDS 3TDS
atown703

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would we cut DA over CLAUSEN?!?!? Mad

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We wouldn't really be cutting Anderson though. He's already a free agent. We'd just be making the decision to not re-sign him.
Marky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words so far.

It'd be pretty hard to get a 2nd round pick for a guy who's never been the main back and is hurt a lot. Plus we get Meachem, a solid WR.

I personally don't like Williams, I just wanted to get ride of him. How many years does Smith have left? 2? Gotta move on eventually. Moore is going to be a good DE, and had to move up to get him.

I admit, should of got more for CJ, that one is my bad. Whoever said he's a top 5 DE though, no.

So Ginn Jr. for a 6th was a bad trade? Really?

Quote:
These drafts are not supposed to be realistic.

Make sure you remember that.

Added:

Justin Pugh, OL, Syracuse
Jordan Hill, DT, Penn State

XBL-theUrbanator69
Student @ smww.com
Twitter: @draft4mark
Panthers11

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty terrible, not gonna lie man.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
OneBadCat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles Johnson isn't top a 5 DE? Care to explain?
PantherDE90

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneBadCat wrote:
Charles Johnson isn't top a 5 DE? Care to explain?

I should have said borderline top 5.

"There are many things given to us in this life for the wrong reasons. What we do with such blessings, that is the true test of a man." - Gannicus
Silverback47

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it, the Panthers lost two 1,000 yard rushers, a 1,000 yard receiver, and replaced them with guys with average or worse production (Meachem, Powell, Brown, and Ginn). They also lost their best defensive lineman and replaced him with a decent corner. The draft picks were both used to fix holes that didn't exist before the trades. I don't like it. I don't see how you get production from the offense now, and the defense is relying a lot on DaMontre. You probably set both units back, but if DaMontre blows up you might have a decent defensive swing on your hands.

And yes, the Ginn trade was nice, but only in a world where the Panthers can cut a bunch of the receiver/returners on the roster.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers should try to trade down unless the OT Johnson falls to them, if he is there, that would be by favorite / possible.

In the first and second rounds they have to go OT, DT. I think there are more DTs so I like OT. first. Panther really need a WR and S as well. Finding true quality in the 4th and 5th for these positions is a crap shoot. I could see an argument for grabbing a WR with one of the first two picks and grabbing a DT or OT in the fourth round. They could draft a offensive linemen in the 5th, 6th, and compensatory pick and let them fight it out in training camp.

Between the salary cap problems and the loss of the 3rd rounder again, we are still living under the Hunrey Pox, but Gettlemen has made good moves so far. Beason and DeAngelo haven't been heard from nor Gamble. I suspect Beason and DeAngelo are last so they can get it done at the end. as needed. I can't see how Gamble sticks, and we need to sign Munnerlyn - that's a tough little dude.

Panthers could go OL, DL, S, or WR with the first two picks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: