Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Romo Contract

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GeneralDissaray


Joined: 07 Apr 2006
Posts: 5438
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Romo Contract Reply with quote

Debates over. Romo will get an extension. My question is what average per year amount do you think he will get, and what is appropriate. Leave the hate/love at the door, and come with the facts, and a reasonable argument.

Last contract Age 28
6 year 67.5 mil contract Average: 11.25mil per year.

Actually turned into a 6 year approx 55 mil contract with voidable years.
Average about 9 mil per year.

Now will be Age 33 in April and coming off a 5000 yard passing season, but the linger of a terrible performance vs Washington for the division and a playoff appearance.

Comparables: Similar Age and Achievements. Note. Age is the age when they signed their contract, not current age.

Carson Palmer Age 32
Signed 4 year 43mil contract
Average 10.75 mil per year.

Micheal Vick Age 32
1 year 12.2mil contract(Incentive based).

Alex Smith Age 28
3 year 24mil
Average 8 mil per year.

Matt Schaub Age 31
5 yr 66.15mil contract.
Average 13.23mil per year.


Straight math (10.75+12.2+8+13.23)/4= 11.045 Average per year.
Average Age is 30.75 or almost 31.

While Romo's stats and QBR might put him in the 15 mil per season category, I think his age, and lack of big game performance will bring down his price. I am guessing it will be a 5 year deal, adding a 4 year extension to 2013 at an average of 8 to 9 mil per season.

Your thoughts?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 20658
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a franchise filled with imbeciles who overpay their players and structure contracts in the worst possible ways. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Romo get a contract which pays him $21-22M per season and leave us in a cap hell situation unless he plays out the entire deal, thus limiting our ability to draft and groom a QB to replace Romo.
_________________

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MaddHatter


Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Posts: 45063
Location: ROH Class of 14
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likely $15-16m/yr
_________________


Sig courtesy of mack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flyingmonkey30


Moderator
Joined: 04 Mar 2007
Posts: 6579
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
We have a franchise filled with imbeciles who overpay their players and structure contracts in the worst possible ways. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Romo get a contract which pays him $21-22M per season and leave us in a cap hell situation unless he plays out the entire deal, thus limiting our ability to draft and groom a QB to replace Romo.


Not really. It doesn't limit our ability to draft a QB to groom. Now, it may lead the front office to believe that we don't have to find his replacement for another year or two, but it doesn't hamper our ability at all to do so.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Matts4313


Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 37939
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of 12
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Likely $15-16m/yr


I think ~15 is likely as well.
_________________

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buckwild


Joined: 25 Jan 2011
Posts: 1979
Location: Ft Worth, Tx
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought he would be asking for 14-15 million a year.
_________________


Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The_Slamman


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 13520
Location: Las Vegas, NV
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its anything above the Schaub contract I will be disappointed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ninjaneer


Joined: 25 Jan 2008
Posts: 2354
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$12-13 mil a year would make sense to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheStarStillShines


Joined: 12 Oct 2004
Posts: 8774
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'll probably get a deal that averages close to $15M annually. Hopefully, the contract isn't longer than 4 years, but I doubt it.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MaddHatter


Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Posts: 45063
Location: ROH Class of 14
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheStarStillShines wrote:
He'll probably get a deal that averages close to $15M annually. Hopefully, the contract isn't longer than 4 years, but I doubt it.


It will likely be till 2017 as its already till 2016 IIRC and wpuldnt be an extension if it didnt.
_________________


Sig courtesy of mack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 20658
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
We have a franchise filled with imbeciles who overpay their players and structure contracts in the worst possible ways. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Romo get a contract which pays him $21-22M per season and leave us in a cap hell situation unless he plays out the entire deal, thus limiting our ability to draft and groom a QB to replace Romo.


Not really. It doesn't limit our ability to draft a QB to groom. Now, it may lead the front office to believe that we don't have to find his replacement for another year or two, but it doesn't hamper our ability at all to do so.


Disagree. Our front office is too stupid to do that. Once we sign the long-term marriage certificate, you can forget about looking for a QB until Romo is released and the need becomes a dumpster fire without any contingency in place. That's how this team operates. There is no forward thinking. It is need based, not future based. The only time we draft for the future is when we draft a player who is injured and can't play that season. Otherwise, we're still scurrying to find immediate starters in the 5th and 6th rounds rather than using those rounds to find guys who can contribute but will be groomed for the future.
_________________

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flyingmonkey30


Moderator
Joined: 04 Mar 2007
Posts: 6579
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
We have a franchise filled with imbeciles who overpay their players and structure contracts in the worst possible ways. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Romo get a contract which pays him $21-22M per season and leave us in a cap hell situation unless he plays out the entire deal, thus limiting our ability to draft and groom a QB to replace Romo.


Not really. It doesn't limit our ability to draft a QB to groom. Now, it may lead the front office to believe that we don't have to find his replacement for another year or two, but it doesn't hamper our ability at all to do so.


Disagree. Our front office is too stupid to do that. Once we sign the long-term marriage certificate, you can forget about looking for a QB until Romo is released and the need becomes a dumpster fire without any contingency in place. That's how this team operates. There is no forward thinking. It is need based, not future based. The only time we draft for the future is when we draft a player who is injured and can't play that season. Otherwise, we're still scurrying to find immediate starters in the 5th and 6th rounds rather than using those rounds to find guys who can contribute but will be groomed for the future.


We still have the ability to draft someone. Just because we don't do it doesn't mean we are incapable, we just chose not to.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 20658
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
We have a franchise filled with imbeciles who overpay their players and structure contracts in the worst possible ways. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Romo get a contract which pays him $21-22M per season and leave us in a cap hell situation unless he plays out the entire deal, thus limiting our ability to draft and groom a QB to replace Romo.


Not really. It doesn't limit our ability to draft a QB to groom. Now, it may lead the front office to believe that we don't have to find his replacement for another year or two, but it doesn't hamper our ability at all to do so.


Disagree. Our front office is too stupid to do that. Once we sign the long-term marriage certificate, you can forget about looking for a QB until Romo is released and the need becomes a dumpster fire without any contingency in place. That's how this team operates. There is no forward thinking. It is need based, not future based. The only time we draft for the future is when we draft a player who is injured and can't play that season. Otherwise, we're still scurrying to find immediate starters in the 5th and 6th rounds rather than using those rounds to find guys who can contribute but will be groomed for the future.


We still have the ability to draft someone. Just because we don't do it doesn't mean we are incapable, we just chose not to.


Consistently making the wrong choices doesn't give me confidence that we'd make the right choice in the future.
_________________

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aceinthehouse


Joined: 23 Dec 2010
Posts: 2859
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the status on Romo's contract in Dallas?

I'm hopeful you guys can lock up your Franchise QB, to a long term deal.

Should make the NFC East fun to watch for many years.

Good luck this off season.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 24685
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We likely won't see a contract until after Flacco is signed.

Given his late start as a QB, I expect a similar trajectory as Captain Comeback (not comparing careers, merely length of tenure). As such, the deal will likely be 4-5 years.
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group