Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Romo Contract

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Romo Contract Reply with quote

Debates over. Romo will get an extension. My question is what average per year amount do you think he will get, and what is appropriate. Leave the hate/love at the door, and come with the facts, and a reasonable argument.

Last contract Age 28
6 year 67.5 mil contract Average: 11.25mil per year.

Actually turned into a 6 year approx 55 mil contract with voidable years.
Average about 9 mil per year.

Now will be Age 33 in April and coming off a 5000 yard passing season, but the linger of a terrible performance vs Washington for the division and a playoff appearance.

Comparables: Similar Age and Achievements. Note. Age is the age when they signed their contract, not current age.

Carson Palmer Age 32
Signed 4 year 43mil contract
Average 10.75 mil per year.

Micheal Vick Age 32
1 year 12.2mil contract(Incentive based).

Alex Smith Age 28
3 year 24mil
Average 8 mil per year.

Matt Schaub Age 31
5 yr 66.15mil contract.
Average 13.23mil per year.

Straight math (10.75+12.2+8+13.23)/4= 11.045 Average per year.
Average Age is 30.75 or almost 31.

While Romo's stats and QBR might put him in the 15 mil per season category, I think his age, and lack of big game performance will bring down his price. I am guessing it will be a 5 year deal, adding a 4 year extension to 2013 at an average of 8 to 9 mil per season.

Your thoughts?
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a franchise filled with imbeciles who overpay their players and structure contracts in the worst possible ways. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Romo get a contract which pays him $21-22M per season and leave us in a cap hell situation unless he plays out the entire deal, thus limiting our ability to draft and groom a QB to replace Romo.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likely $15-16m/yr

Sig courtesy of mack.
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
We have a franchise filled with imbeciles who overpay their players and structure contracts in the worst possible ways. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Romo get a contract which pays him $21-22M per season and leave us in a cap hell situation unless he plays out the entire deal, thus limiting our ability to draft and groom a QB to replace Romo.

Not really. It doesn't limit our ability to draft a QB to groom. Now, it may lead the front office to believe that we don't have to find his replacement for another year or two, but it doesn't hamper our ability at all to do so.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Likely $15-16m/yr

I think ~15 is likely as well.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
buckwild

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought he would be asking for 14-15 million a year.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its anything above the Schaub contract I will be disappointed.
ninjaneer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$12-13 mil a year would make sense to me.
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'll probably get a deal that averages close to $15M annually. Hopefully, the contract isn't longer than 4 years, but I doubt it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheStarStillShines wrote:
He'll probably get a deal that averages close to $15M annually. Hopefully, the contract isn't longer than 4 years, but I doubt it.

It will likely be till 2017 as its already till 2016 IIRC and wpuldnt be an extension if it didnt.

Sig courtesy of mack.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:

Not really. It doesn't limit our ability to draft a QB to groom. Now, it may lead the front office to believe that we don't have to find his replacement for another year or two, but it doesn't hamper our ability at all to do so.

Disagree. Our front office is too stupid to do that. Once we sign the long-term marriage certificate, you can forget about looking for a QB until Romo is released and the need becomes a dumpster fire without any contingency in place. That's how this team operates. There is no forward thinking. It is need based, not future based. The only time we draft for the future is when we draft a player who is injured and can't play that season. Otherwise, we're still scurrying to find immediate starters in the 5th and 6th rounds rather than using those rounds to find guys who can contribute but will be groomed for the future.

Northland wrote:
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:

Disagree. Our front office is too stupid to do that. Once we sign the long-term marriage certificate, you can forget about looking for a QB until Romo is released and the need becomes a dumpster fire without any contingency in place. That's how this team operates. There is no forward thinking. It is need based, not future based. The only time we draft for the future is when we draft a player who is injured and can't play that season. Otherwise, we're still scurrying to find immediate starters in the 5th and 6th rounds rather than using those rounds to find guys who can contribute but will be groomed for the future.

We still have the ability to draft someone. Just because we don't do it doesn't mean we are incapable, we just chose not to.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:

We still have the ability to draft someone. Just because we don't do it doesn't mean we are incapable, we just chose not to.

Consistently making the wrong choices doesn't give me confidence that we'd make the right choice in the future.

Northland wrote:
aceinthehouse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the status on Romo's contract in Dallas?

I'm hopeful you guys can lock up your Franchise QB, to a long term deal.

Should make the NFC East fun to watch for many years.

Good luck this off season.

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We likely won't see a contract until after Flacco is signed.

Given his late start as a QB, I expect a similar trajectory as Captain Comeback (not comparing careers, merely length of tenure). As such, the deal will likely be 4-5 years.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: