You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My stab at the Chiefs off season

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiefsfansince89

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: My stab at the Chiefs off season Reply with quote

My assessment of KC needs:
CB 1 Highest Pressing Need. Starter and possible nickel back too.
DE 2 High High Need. Need more pass rush pressure.
LB 3 High Need. No starters distinguished.
WR 4 Med Medium need. Good players but not impact type.
OL 5 Med Medium need-- players to develop, groom
P 6 Low High need. But you only spend low round picks on punters.
QB 7 Low It would be nice to get a young player to develop.
FB None no need to use picks on this position. Build training camp depth from off the street free agents and Practice squaders.
TE None no need to use picks on this position. Build training camp depth from off the street free agents and Practice squaders.
K None sign a few off the street free agents to press Tynes
DT None Skip, find DE
S None Skip S, find CB. We have two CBís that might be suited to FS; Battle and Bartee.
HB None try to retain Blaylock. Build training camp depth from off the street free agents and Practice squaders
----------------------
Chiefs Draft choices:
3 or 4 ( Comp-Tait)

What I would do.
First two picks, CB and DE. Maybe a LB instead of DE.
3 or 4 ( Comp-Tait)
If no DE yet, pick one here. Otherwise LB or WR; WR only if much better than LB
LB or WR, the one not taken above

One more of each CB, DE, LB, maybe two more of one. Maybe a Punter. Maybe a QB. An OL pick or two.
Alternately we could take a quantity approach to LB or OL. Donít draft any of that position at 4 or above and then take three in the later rounds.
Free Agency: try to retain Blaylock. Try to retain Fujita. Not keeping him mandates we sign an OLB in free agency. Few big name free agents have returned the value in recent years. Instead of big names go after okay veteran starters. Try for one each of the top needs, CB, DE and LB. Maybe an OL.

With a little luck we can improve the defense and keep the offense at a high level without ransoming the future.

thanks
Mongo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most everything, but...

1. I don't see DE as a higher priority than LB. Jared Allen led NFL rookies with 9 sacks and can and will get stronger. Hicks is solid.

2. Re-signing Blaylock is a mistake. His success is a product of our o-line. Unless he comes cheap, we don't need him taking cap space.

3. Re-signing Fujita is a mistake. He's ordinary at best. The Chiefs need a playmaker at LB. Same as Blaylock, unless he comes cheap we don't need him taking cap space. The Chiefs absolutely need to come up with an impact LB either through FA and/or the draft.

4. A young QB is a higher priority than you've assessed. All of our QB are 30+. I think a day one draft pick should be used on a QB or they should take a chance on Tim Couch or Mike McMahon.
mh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything you said. Trent has such a low profile that people often forget he is 34 and Todd Collins, well, he's been a backup since I can remember. Green only has a few years left, and put him with Roaf, Shields, and Priest, the best players on offense as a whole are getting close to retirement. I think next year will be Roaf and Shields' last, possible even Priest's.

We don't have one playmaking linebacker. You could make a case for Shawn Barber, but he really hasn't had the major influence on the defense I wish he had. He did lead the team in tackles last year, but if you ever watch him close, he misses quite a few too. They have to go FA here with Ahmad Brooks choosing to stay in school. I don't really know who is going to be on the market but I've heard Kendrell Bell, Brian Simmons? Bell would be great.

As far as CB goes, there are a couple notable FAs this year. I hope the Chiefs are able to look at Fred Smoot and Ken Lucas - they're proven players and I especially like Smoot. I think the Chiefs draft a CB with their first pick, hopefullly Marlin Jackson or Carlos Rogers. They're both big and fast, Jackson is a great tackler, and would go well opposite Smoot or Lucas. This all of course depends on the players - just by saying that Smoot is a FA doesn't mean that we'll automatically be able to sign him because not everyone wants to come to KC.

And not like this matters, but I just found a Peter King article that says he thinks Bell will end up in KC next year. Cool.
Mongo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We don't have one playmaking linebacker. You could make a case for Shawn Barber, but he really hasn't had the major influence on the defense I wish he had. He did lead the team in tackles last year, but if you ever watch him close, he misses quite a few too. They have to go FA here with Ahmad Brooks choosing to stay in school. I don't really know who is going to be on the market but I've heard Kendrell Bell, Brian Simmons? Bell would be great.

Amen. Shawn Barber has been bad. It kills me watching Donnie Edwards in SD. Greg Robinson really blew it with that one. He let him go because "he didn't fit" the scheme. A year later they overpaid for a lesser version of essentially the same player. FA mistakes hurt for a while.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: