Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

OL G.Schwartz has no intention of signing on as a backup.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dawgpound1816

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OG period is a huge need. As Entropy stated.....3.6 yds/carry.....NO BUENO! Look at Doug Martin and his OL.....or OGs. D.Martins good, but his OL is built to make big holes. We have 2 great OTs & 1 great C, but our OGs were atrocious.....whether if Pinkston was hurt or not.....we have finesse & intelligent players at OTs and a Mauler in Mack. Our middle is soft. We gave up most of our sacks up the middle, and we had no push in the middle. Can't do it.

As for building on a strength......You do it....period. Especially if its in the trenches. It will will help in so many ways......we will get over 4 yds/carry, protection in the middle and a bigger push in the middle. That will sustain drives, keep the defense fresh & give the Browns more opportunities to score. You always build inside out. QB/Trenches & then the rest. The Big Uglys make the Playmakers lives easier, whether on offense or defense. We have talent at the playmaking positions on both sides of the ball and our trenches are good......we need to make that good to dominant. Give your boys time to throw, holes to blow through (O & D) and to Eat the OL. You have to dominate the LOS to have success.

R.I.P. Brother Crakburn - Never Bark in the Dark Brother Crakburn....For all of us Dawgs will be barking to the heavens for you.
dawgpound1816

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^^That was the Crackburn coming out in me^^^^^^

Count It!

R.I.P. Brother Crakburn - Never Bark in the Dark Brother Crakburn....For all of us Dawgs will be barking to the heavens for you.
MalcolmBrown

Location: 2013 Adopt a Brownie: Leon McFadden: 1 solo tackle, 1 assist
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How realistic is it that we get this guy?

Reppin in Athens, Ohio AKA South Cleveland
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is nobody else concerned that the guy has only played I e full season and has not started a game in like 2 years or us that just me

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

TKL- 75, INT- 2, Sack- 1.5,PDF-7, TD-2

zelbell

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Planet Earth
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
Is nobody else concerned that the guy has only played I e full season and has not started a game in like 2 years or us that just me

it is a bit scary to me too
dawgpound1816

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:

Straight up......when I was spouting off.....I was speaking in general. As for Schwartz....I like the confidence that he wants to be a full time starter with starter pay, but the contract would have to be an incentive laden contract. He's in FA due to his injuries, and he was unseated by a rookie. He has to prove himself once again that he can stay healthy and be dominant consistently. I think he would be a good pickup as a versatile player, and possibly a starter....."IF" he can stay healthy and back up his talk.

DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO he is a very good risk reward ratio kinda of player

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
candyman93

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do people like him?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
Why do people like him?

Big guy who is nasty run blocker and a good pass blocker and is a 3 position player. He is in his mid 20's and won't break the bank.

He reminds me a lot of Ryan Tucker.

H2ThaIzzo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think our YPC had more to do with
1. T-Rich being a rookie
2. T-Rich playing hurt
3. Our offensive scheme

Can we upgrade at guard? Sure. But I don't think adding or deciding not to add to the position is going to change our win/loss numbers at all. Trent had lots of opportunities where rookie mistakes cost us yards, whether it be missing a hole, or whether it be taking a loss instead of just making the smart move and getting back to the line of scrimmage. Then he got hurt. The ribs definitely impacted him. Finally, we draft a guy 3rd overall, he is a physical runner to begin with, so why clog the running lanes by throwing a fullback in on every rushing attempt? I think if we would have run more singleback type formations with Richardson getting some rush attempts with the defense spread out, his averages would have been much higher. I can tell you that New England did this. Ridley isn't better than Richardson, Belicheck is just smart when it comes to personnel and formations. Leave all your receiving weapons in the game, spread the defense out and make them guess what you're gonna do.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H2ThaIzzo wrote:
1. T-Rich being a rookie
2. T-Rich playing hurt
3. Our offensive scheme

Can we upgrade at guard? Sure. But I don't think adding or deciding not to add to the position is going to change our win/loss numbers at all. Trent had lots of opportunities where rookie mistakes cost us yards, whether it be missing a hole, or whether it be taking a loss instead of just making the smart move and getting back to the line of scrimmage. Then he got hurt. The ribs definitely impacted him. Finally, we draft a guy 3rd overall, he is a physical runner to begin with, so why clog the running lanes by throwing a fullback in on every rushing attempt? I think if we would have run more singleback type formations with Richardson getting some rush attempts with the defense spread out, his averages would have been much higher. I can tell you that New England did this. Ridley isn't better than Richardson, Belicheck is just smart when it comes to personnel and formations. Leave all your receiving weapons in the game, spread the defense out and make them guess what you're gonna do.

In respect to your New England & Belicheck answer......it boils down to 1 word. Respect. You can do comparisons to the Pats b/c you have to respect every playmaker on the offensive side of the ball......but they have a great OL and scheme.

How about the Saints? They lose there top 2 OL last year.....They kept all their offensive playmakers and were determined......but there offense sputtered (mainly the threat of keeping teams honest) running game. There OG went to the Bucs, and all of a sudden DMartin played amazing. I agree that schemes do come into effect, and other variables.........but a very strong OL will make things easier. Especially transitioning to a new offensive scheme. We still have The Punisher in the backfield, but we need more time for blocks to be set, quicker advances to get a body on a LB and most importantly the middle of our OL holding up against 2 blitzers up the gut constantly. Weeden did well stepping up in the pocket......when there was one. Being a vertical offense teams won't be able to shutdown the passing lanes at the LOS.

Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would people honestly have any desire to sign him if his brother didn't play RT for us.....? the guy has not started a game since 2010

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

TKL- 75, INT- 2, Sack- 1.5,PDF-7, TD-2

dawgpound1816

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want Vasquez or Levitre. I don't care if we get Schwartz at all, but as a role player or someone as depth. I'm not against it.....just aslong that its incentive laden.

DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawgpound1816 wrote:
I want Vasquez or Levitre. I don't care if we get Schwartz at all, but as a role player or someone as depth. I'm not against it.....just aslong that its incentive laden.

I agree with vasquez and the schwartz comments

+1

Entropy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawgpound1816 wrote:
H2ThaIzzo wrote:
1. T-Rich being a rookie
2. T-Rich playing hurt
3. Our offensive scheme

In respect to your New England & Belicheck answer......it boils down to 1 word. Respect. You can do comparisons to the Pats b/c you have to respect every playmaker on the offensive side of the ball......but they have a great OL and scheme.

How about the Saints? They lose there top 2 OL last year.....They kept all their offensive playmakers and were determined......but there offense sputtered (mainly the threat of keeping teams honest) running game. There OG went to the Bucs, and all of a sudden DMartin played amazing. I agree that schemes do come into effect, and other variables.........but a very strong OL will make things easier. Especially transitioning to a new offensive scheme. We still have The Punisher in the backfield, but we need more time for blocks to be set, quicker advances to get a body on a LB and most importantly the middle of our OL holding up against 2 blitzers up the gut constantly. Weeden did well stepping up in the pocket......when there was one. Being a vertical offense teams won't be able to shutdown the passing lanes at the LOS.

I get what you're saying. But the Saints still had an all-pro (Jahri Evans) and Ben Grubbs paying OG for them last year. It didn't seem to help them much. There must have been more going on there than just losing Carl Nicks, who only played in 7 games for Tampa last year before going on IR.

I also think there was more going on in Tampa, since their OG spots were covered by at least 4 different players. And if I'm not mistaken, they had a patchwork line for most of last season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: