Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Parys Haralson

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big9erfan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Parys Haralson Reply with quote

The invisible man. OK, I'm not talking about the way he plays. I just have hardly seen his name mentioned here of late, for months actually. Not too long ago we thought enough of him to sign him to a multi-year deal. Not for big bucks, but a few million a year is something.

So what's his future with this team? Do we keep him? Cut him and eat his salary? Trade him - who'd give anything for a backup LB coming off an injury that kept him out all year and who would cost them $2.5 million a year?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Parys Haralson Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
The invisible man. OK, I'm not talking about the way he plays. I just have hardly seen his name mentioned here of late, for months actually. Not too long ago we thought enough of him to sign him to a multi-year deal. Not for big bucks, but a few million a year is something.

So what's his future with this team? Do we keep him? Cut him and eat his salary? Trade him - who'd give anything for a backup LB coming off an injury that kept him out all year and who would cost them $2.5 million a year?

He has no trade value, coming off an injury like that. I think we'll just cut him. I give him 5% chance of re-structuring for less money. But really, I think he's gone. He wasn't overly big, fast or strong to begin with. He didn't have one strong part to his game that could enhance our team. He was just solid at this point in his career. He is the kind of part to a team that you just eventually replace with better talent. Hopefully we find that talent and we go forward.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
EverythingSF

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Parys Haralson Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

He has no trade value, coming off an injury like that. I think we'll just cut him. I give him 5% chance of re-structuring for less money. But really, I think he's gone. He wasn't overly big, fast or strong to begin with. He didn't have one strong part to his game that could enhance our team. He was just solid at this point in his career. He is the kind of part to a team that you just eventually replace with better talent. Hopefully we find that talent and we go forward.

How much of his contract do we have to eat? And I cannot see him wanting to restructure to serve as pure depth. There are a few teams switching to a 3-4 and to me it would be a better option to take what he can from us for being cut and then signing on elsewhere where he could conceivably start as a stop-gap as rudyz described is all he really is

^Thanks to NS922

EverythingSF wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

Alex's Mom?

Alex's High School Backup? Wink
Forge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Rudy, I think there's no question he's gone and I doubt he restructures. after that injury too, I'd much rather just pick up an OLB in round 5 or something and see what he can do. Parys was just...all around mediocre i guess? I mean, he could do a little of everything, he just did everything just below average lol. I think we can find someone of a comparable skill set later in the draft for depth purposes. I don't think there's a reason to even tie up the veteran minimum for him.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
rudyZ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Parys Haralson Reply with quote

EverythingSF wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

How much of his contract do we have to eat? And I cannot see him wanting to restructure to serve as pure depth. There are a few teams switching to a 3-4 and to me it would be a better option to take what he can from us for being cut and then signing on elsewhere where he could conceivably start as a stop-gap as rudyz described is all he really is

I don't think anyone will look at Parys as a stopgap starter, or that Parys himself will look for a starting job. Everybody knows what he is. He is solid depth. He knows it. We know it. My bet is that he signs a one-year deal to show he's returned to full health and to cement himself as a good back-up and special team player. As we've seen with Blake Costanzo, being special on special team has value in this league. Being a reliable back-up has value too. Remains to be seen where he'll opt to show that.

big9erfan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then if we cut him, will there be any cap hit?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:

The only figure I found regarding guaranteed bonus money was a $200K signing bonus. I can't tell if it was his entire signing bonus, which means that prorated over the length of his contract, releasing him would now cost us less than 50K (because he signed an extension on his rookie deal, the signing bonus happening in the last year of that deal, before adding four more years.. so the signing bonus should be divided by 5, not 4). I'm really not sure about this, considering the few sources google gave me. So it will either cost us between 40K and 50K or 200K to release him. So, it's really nothing to worry about.

big9erfan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

The only figure I found regarding guaranteed bonus money was a $200K signing bonus. I can't tell if it was his entire signing bonus, which means that prorated over the length of his contract, releasing him would now cost us less than 50K (because he signed an extension on his rookie deal, the signing bonus happening in the last year of that deal, before adding four more years.. so the signing bonus should be divided by 5, not 4). I'm really not sure about this, considering the few sources google gave me. So it will either cost us between 40K and 50K or 200K to release him. So, it's really nothing to worry about.

Great. Goodbye and good luck Parys.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

right, But we did miss his production somewhat this season. aldon really hit the wall the last quarter of the season. we need to have someone who can come in and give us 3-5 sacks per season in a back up role

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbrown wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

right, But we did miss his production somewhat this season. aldon really hit the wall the last quarter of the season. we need to have someone who can come in and give us 3-5 sacks per season in a back up role

The problem is that Parys is good for 3-5 sacls per season as a starter... it's hard to imagine him getting as much with more limited playing time. He's just not explosive, fast or strong enough to have an impact.

NcFinest9erFan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask him for a paycut if not, cut him.

I am sure we can find depth out in FA and we also have Fleming and Cam maybe they can provide us with some depth.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: