Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

OL depth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcm412

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: OL depth Reply with quote

Does anyone else worry about OL depth? If we really loose Starks, Colon, Foster, an possibly Legursky how do we fill all those holes?
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: OL depth Reply with quote

jcm412 wrote:
Does anyone else worry about OL depth? If we really loose Starks, Colon, Foster, an possibly Legursky how do we fill all those holes?

The simple answer to that s yes. Have you not met 3Rivers yet?

...you have a forum resume?
byerly724

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally i see it like this. i doubt we lose both Legs and Foster. Starks is always around if we need him so he can be put on hold till around training camp.

Starters
Adams--- Foster/Legs--- Pouncey -- Decastro -- Gilbert
Backups
Beachum Maleki (Legs/Foster if both return)

Its really not as bad as it seems. Gilbert had a rough year this year but his rookie year he actually performed decently. Lets hope this year was just a slump of a year and he realizes that slacking during season leads to being benched.

Plus there is always the outside chance we spend a mid-late round pick on lineman that competes for the back up role. I just don't see us picking a lineman in the first three round again this year. Our line has 4 potenial 1st/2nd round starters within there first contract already.
jcm412

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byerly724 wrote:
personally i see it like this. i doubt we lose both Legs and Foster. Starks is always around if we need him so he can be put on hold till around training camp.

Starters
Adams--- Foster/Legs--- Pouncey -- Decastro -- Gilbert
Backups
Beachum Maleki (Legs/Foster if both return)

Its really not as bad as it seems. Gilbert had a rough year this year but his rookie year he actually performed decently. Lets hope this year was just a slump of a year and he realizes that slacking during season leads to being benched.

Plus there is always the outside chance we spend a mid-late round pick on lineman that competes for the back up role. I just don't see us picking a lineman in the first three round again this year. Our line has 4 potenial 1st/2nd round starters within there first contract already.

Here is how I see it. We loose Starks, Colon, and Foster. We resign Legursky.

I would be willing to bet that Starks is signed by another team. So, he won't be there go bail us out again. We cut Colon. Foster will want more than we can pay him and he no longer fits out system.

I see the starting line up as follows.

Gilbert-Beachum-Pouncey-DeCastro-Adams

We are left with Legursky and Maleki as back ups.

I can live with Legursky as a back up OG and OC. Maleki is an emergency player at best.

With recent injuries along the line, I do not feel comfortable at all. We will need atleast 3 quality back ups.
Dook

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we sign Foster and Legursky.

Mostly I'm not worried because by the time the draft comes around we'll have a better idea about our needs. If we do lose Starks, Foster, and Legursky we'll use a pick or two on OL in the draft.
JLambert58

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason Tomlin & the FO don't like Starks. I think if you sign Starks for 1 mil. you win two ways: LT is solidified regardless if Gilbert is ready, it creates major competition at LT and RT. AND it provides quality depth at both postions as well as possible depth for OG if necessary. At least one of the 3: Legs, Colon, or Foster have to be resigned if not 2 depending on the draft.
Dook

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLambert58 wrote:
For some reason Tomlin & the FO don't like Starks. I think if you sign Starks for 1 mil. you win two ways: LT is solidified regardless if Gilbert is ready, it creates major competition at LT and RT. AND it provides quality depth at both postions as well as possible depth for OG if necessary. At least one of the 3: Legs, Colon, or Foster have to be resigned if not 2 depending on the draft.

Colon is still under contract, it's just that most of us want him cut.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think the front office wants him cut, and they're the only ones with opinions that count (unfortunately)
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly expect us to lose Starks, Foster, & Cut Colon.

I like Beachum, I think we'll bring back Foster, we have Malecki as well. So I don't think we're 'in trouble' at OL but I think we could use some young potential to help out.

We REALLY need a new Strength and Conditioning Coach and I don't see how this wasn't the first thing that was addressed.

Overall, my 1st round dream draftee would be Chance Warmack, to complete our Offensive Line. Protecting Ben has to be our #1 priority, but am I worried about our OL depth. For the first time in a long time, no, I'm really not.
jcm412

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
I highly expect us to lose Starks, Foster, & Cut Colon.

I like Beachum, I think we'll bring back Foster, we have Malecki as well. So I don't think we're 'in trouble' at OL but I think we could use some young potential to help out.

We REALLY need a new Strength and Conditioning Coach and I don't see how this wasn't the first thing that was addressed.

Overall, my 1st round dream draftee would be Chance Warmack, to complete our Offensive Line. Protecting Ben has to be our #1 priority, but am I worried about our OL depth. For the first time in a long time, no, I'm really not.

I really don't want to have 2-3 OL go down like in the past and have to play with what we have.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcm412 wrote:

I really don't want to have 2-3 OL go down like in the past and have to play with what we have.

I agree with that however, we can't keep 'pouring into our offensive line' either. This staff has to find a way to make it worth with what they've got. Even if that means picking up a couple more guys in the draft and then letting it ride.
3rivers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: OL depth Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
jcm412 wrote:

The simple answer to that s yes. Have you not met 3Rivers yet?

I dunno, have we Laughing

Looks like OL could be lacking depth, but with new scheme the OL might hurt the opposition instead of themselves. Gilbert might still hurt a few team mates , but lets wait and see how the OL is with the new coach.

Depth won't matter if all the starters are good enough and stay healthy as some teams can manage .
ImissEricGreen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leg, Colon, Beachum, Maleki & Cheadle-all 6'2, does Colbert have a love affair for the smurfs or what. Regardless of what kind of blocking scheme we have, if we get lucky in the draft things will begin to look up.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

of that list the most promising is Beachum I think. Beachum, and several people have said this before, was a pleasant surprise. Sure he's got to improve but overall, as a rookie, he did very well. Obviously I'd like to see our depth improve but at the same time, it's very important for our starters to stay healthy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: