Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Franchise Tag: To Tag or Not to Tag?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maddogg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCool333 wrote:
While Long isn't worth it, I'd consider the tag just as an attempt to get some value for him and trade him. Worst case scenario, you're taking a chance on Long returning to form next season as a Dolphin (and overpaying by a good few mil, sure, but for a one year test-run contract). Best case scenario, some team trades a pick for Long.

We played the whole Long situation incorrectly, I think. I'm not sure it would work but the right play would have included Ireland saying every time that Long will definitely be a Dolphin, and pretending that we have no plans to see him go elsewhere. And leak that message to everyone. Then tag him right away and trade him while everyone thinks we still believe he has a lot of value.

Still, it may be too late now to actually attempt to get any trade value for Long. But I think that's always the case when we try and trade someone because we don't play our hand close enough to our chest.

No team is going to acquire Long with a tag, it will put them in cap hell.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 10, Tackles 10 Assists 3 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1
Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 9 : Death 27 Joe 34
cddolphin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do people keep suggesting we trade Odrick?

When Starks walks and he is put in his natural UT position next to Soliai he will shine.
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
JCool333 wrote:
While Long isn't worth it, I'd consider the tag just as an attempt to get some value for him and trade him. Worst case scenario, you're taking a chance on Long returning to form next season as a Dolphin (and overpaying by a good few mil, sure, but for a one year test-run contract). Best case scenario, some team trades a pick for Long.

We played the whole Long situation incorrectly, I think. I'm not sure it would work but the right play would have included Ireland saying every time that Long will definitely be a Dolphin, and pretending that we have no plans to see him go elsewhere. And leak that message to everyone. Then tag him right away and trade him while everyone thinks we still believe he has a lot of value.

Still, it may be too late now to actually attempt to get any trade value for Long. But I think that's always the case when we try and trade someone because we don't play our hand close enough to our chest.

Perhaps we ought to consider the transition tag for Long. That way he can test the market, find his value, and we can decide if we'd like to match. If we choose not to match, it will be because Long cost too much, and we were incorrect about his market value. If he is indeed a player who's value has largely eroded then we should be able to match and retain him if we choose. The new CBA has limited the ability for other teams to include "poison pills" and while there is a good chance Long leaves, we can ensure no one gets an amazing deal.
skatewood2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
Maddogg wrote:
JCool333 wrote:

Perhaps we ought to consider the transition tag for Long. That way he can test the market, find his value, and we can decide if we'd like to match. If we choose not to match, it will be because Long cost too much, and we were incorrect about his market value. If he is indeed a player who's value has largely eroded then we should be able to match and retain him if we choose. The new CBA has limited the ability for other teams to include "poison pills" and while there is a good chance Long leaves, we can ensure no one gets an amazing deal.

I really like this idea instead of overpaying him. At least this way we have the chance to decide if we want to overpay for him or not.

NFL - Miami Dolphins
College - THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCool333 wrote:

I agree
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ireland is suggesting that its likely that the Dolphins WILL use the franchise tag.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2013/02/jeff-ireland-use-of-franchise-tag-a-likelihood.html

The speculation is that it might be on Starks, but its early to say.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starks is the guy I said above I would consider for many reasons. Ireland values D-line and losing Langford and starks back to back years hurts depth and you dont want a strength of the team to become a weakness. I would be somewhat hesitent to lock him up long term but keep him another year and put more tread on the tires and see what vernon can really do and push odrick inside more to spell both solia and starks some. QB OLINE DLINE are the 3 most important positions to winning. It does sound like they want jake back though and reggie bush as the same role he had with saints so thats up to reggie
skatewood2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I really do not want to Franchise Tag Starks. I like him, but think we have an equally good but younger player in Odrick. I would rather keep the extra money and get some of the younger players in FA or save it for the draft. Our problem is that we keep players too long and I think Starks is getting to that place.

NFL - Miami Dolphins
College - THE Ohio State University Buckeyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: