Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Will OG Louis Vasquez make it to Free Agency?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Will OG Louis Vasquez make it to Free Agency? Reply with quote

Why or Why not?

And do you guysthink if he does make it Cleveland would he follow Chud/Turner to Cleveland?

Thanks.

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Will OG Louis Vasquez make it to Free Agency? Reply with quote

DawgSoldier wrote:
Why or Why not?

And do you guysthink if he does make it Cleveland would he follow Chud/Turner to Cleveland?

Thanks.

If he leaves here, he leaves for whoever offers him the most money. I think it's as simple as that; and I think "so and so played for this coach in this place" gets horrifically overblown most of the time as it mostly is only applicable to older vets and occasionally quarterbacks.

Evidently McCoy has been like a gigantic breath of fresh air around here and absolutely magnetic at Chargers HQ. So unless Louis is solely drawn by getting max money and doesn't care where he goes past that - there's a fair chance Mike gets the guy to buy in and stick around. That said, we look to be shifting to more of a zone-blocking scheme so retaining Green may be the better fit for us.

The question I have for you is aside from the fact that he's a name you recognize because he's been a starter in the league and he's played for Norv and Chud in the past - why do you want him? Norv never used him effectively, never made sure that his technique was cleaned up by his position coaches, and more or less threw him and his entire line under the bus on the way out of town when he stated that the "talent" provided him by AJ Smith and the front office wasn't sufficient (if I were Vasquez and had half a brain, I'd realize that that statement was being made about my "picked in the 3rd round" butt too).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Will OG Louis Vasquez make it to Free Agency? Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
Why or Why not?

Thanks.

If he leaves here, he leaves for whoever offers him the most money. I think it's as simple as that; and I think "so and so played for this coach in this place" gets horrifically overblown most of the time as it mostly is only applicable to older vets and occasionally quarterbacks.

Evidently McCoy has been like a gigantic breath of fresh air around here and absolutely magnetic at Chargers HQ. So unless Louis is solely drawn by getting max money and doesn't care where he goes past that - there's a fair chance Mike gets the guy to buy in and stick around. That said, we look to be shifting to more of a zone-blocking scheme so retaining Green may be the better fit for us.

The question I have for you is aside from the fact that he's a name you recognize because he's been a starter in the league and he's played for Norv and Chud in the past - why do you want him? Norv never used him effectively, never made sure that his technique was cleaned up by his position coaches, and more or less threw him and his entire line under the bus on the way out of town when he stated that the "talent" provided him by AJ Smith and the front office wasn't sufficient (if I were Vasquez and had half a brain, I'd realize that that statement was being made about my "picked in the 3rd round" butt too).

Because the Browns guard play especially RG is poor to meh.A Roadgrading RG to stick between Mack and Schwartz would upgrade the running game IMO. That and the 2nd half of the season in the AFC North is played in conditions that favour a mauling OL IMO.

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Will OG Louis Vasquez make it to Free Agency? Reply with quote

DawgSoldier wrote:
The LBC wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
Why or Why not?

Thanks.

Because the Browns guard play especially RG is poor to meh.A Roadgrading RG to stick between Mack and Schwartz would upgrade the running game IMO. That and the 2nd half of the season in the AFC North is played in conditions that favour a mauling OL IMO.

You do know Vasquez is the opposite of a mauler or grader right? He's a pass blocker. Laughing

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I expect the Bears to target him because Kromer loves the big OGs and we need pass protection in a BAD way.

But how could SD let him leave their OL is not in a good place.
sanitizer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
That's why I expect the Bears to target him because Kromer loves the big OGs and we need pass protection in a BAD way.

With the dollars that Carl Nicks and Ben Grubbs got last year in free agency, I'm under the assumption that Vasquez will go to the highest bidder and that dollar amount will be something that San Diego isn't interested in offering.

I'm not sure if anything will change with the OLine this year or if the scheme will change, but if we're going to go to a ZBS then letting him walk isn't a bad idea. I can never figure out the cap space so I don't know necassarily about that, but Telesco comes from the family of building through the draft, so really its all a question mark.

But if you're looking for a good guard in pass protection then Vasquez is your man. The Bears make me sick so here's to Vasquez not going to Chicago.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

Because you don't overpay to keep average talent just because the rest of the talent in the unit isn't any better. That's how teams get themselves locked into generations of mediocrity.

Moreover, with Joe D'Alessandris coming in as our new OL coach, we're likely to see much more of an emphasis on zone-blocking in our scheme, and Vasquez is a questionable fit there - and committing a $7 million per year average to a player who is a questionable fit is just flat dumb business team operations wise, financial wise, any wise.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any info or a read on Troutman. Could he step up and start at one of the G spots. Heard he was pretty solid in college before the injury. That being said I wouldn't pencil him right in but it may be a filler for one of our many holes.
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkieray wrote:
Anyone have any info or a read on Troutman. Could he step up and start at one of the G spots. Heard he was pretty solid in college before the injury. That being said I wouldn't pencil him right in but it may be a filler for one of our many holes.

He may be a decent reserve but I'm not getting my hopes up.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld wrote:
The Chargers have identified free agent LG Louis Vasquez as their "top priority" to re-sign and will make him a contract offer "shortly."
The Chargers arrived in Indianapolis on Wednesday, and on Thursday night met with Vasquez's player rep. Vasquez is believed to be seeking $6 million annually. Turning 26 in April, Vasquez would be a hot commodity if he hit the open market.

Looks like they're going to do everything they can.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He wants Dielman money but doesn't offer the leadership, or the talent. Ugh.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: