Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots CB Dennard will serve 30 days in jail for assault
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
Assault is the single most ridiculous charge that gets made. Assault starts at the very bottom with touching.

No, you don't need to touch anyone to be guilty of assault

Quote:
If I accidently touch someone getting off the train, that is, according to the law, assault.

No, it's not. In order for it to be assault, the victim needs to fear violence or feel threatened. That's unlikely in most "accidental bumping" type scenarios.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
redsoxsrule1437 wrote:
Quote:
Prosecutors said after the verdict was read that they were not recommending a sentence, but that typical sentences for a crime like this would range from probation to 180 days in jail. The sentencing hearing is set for April 11.

From an article Reiss just posted on twitter.

Well, that's not too bad.

It's not the end of the world, but say his sentence starts in April, you're talking roughly mid-late October (180 days). At that point he probably isn't going to be in game shape - I know guys in jail work out and such but it's different than being in football condition. I would think that a 180 day sentence would really kill Dennard's value to the team in 2013. He might be able to be a nice addition down the stretch into the playoffs, but I wouldn't count on him for all that much during the regular season if he got 180 days.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
TomRalph wrote:
Assault is the single most ridiculous charge that gets made. Assault starts at the very bottom with touching.

Quote:
If I accidently touch someone getting off the train, that is, according to the law, assault.

No, it's not. In order for it to be assault, the victim needs to fear violence or feel threatened. That's unlikely in most "accidental bumping" type scenarios.

TomRalph, you're confusing 'assault' with 'battery.'

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
TomRalph wrote:

Quote:

TomRalph, you're confusing 'assault' with 'battery.'

Even then, battery necessitates a conscious choice and intent to harm. Sure, a weasel lawyer can try to create those types of things out of an accidental touching, but it's very unlikely to get prosecuted.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
redsoxsrule1437 wrote:
Quote:
Prosecutors said after the verdict was read that they were not recommending a sentence, but that typical sentences for a crime like this would range from probation to 180 days in jail. The sentencing hearing is set for April 11.

It's not the end of the world, but say his sentence starts in April, you're talking roughly mid-late October (180 days). At that point he probably isn't going to be in game shape - I know guys in jail work out and such but it's different than being in football condition. I would think that a 180 day sentence would really kill Dennard's value to the team in 2013. He might be able to be a nice addition down the stretch into the playoffs, but I wouldn't count on him for all that much during the regular season if he got 180 days.
Can't he ask to serve his term out during the offseason?

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
redsoxsrule1437 wrote:
Quote:

Can't he ask to serve his term out during the offseason?

I guess it's possible, but if a judge is going to allow him to defer his sentence by a whole year (presumably to February through August of 2014), I don't see why that same judge wouldn't just do a shorter sentence + probation/community service/counseling/etc.

In other words, a judge is going to be swayed by the "he has a lot to lose" type argument is probably going to sentence Dennard in a manner which minimizes the jail time in the first place. Though, maybe he/she would view 180 days as a minimal amount of time compared to the 6 years Dennard is potentially facing.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given first time offender + uniqueness of situation, it is highly possible he doesn't get jail time.

Again, jail time is not required for the sentence, likely because unique incidents such as this case exist where jail time is not truly warranted.
3. Cordarelle Patterson
Past Successes: Dez Bryant, Alshon Jeffrey, Torrey Smith
Future Successes: Sammy Watkins, Rueban Randle
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
Given first time offender + uniqueness of situation, it is highly possible he doesn't get jail time.

Again, jail time is not required for the sentence, likely because unique incidents such as this case exist where jail time is not truly warranted.

My guess would be that his lawyers and the prosecution end up coming to an agreement which recommends a short jail sentence (60-120 days) followed by extensive probation.

Had he not plead not-guilty, I'd think he'd have a better chance of no jail.

I doubt he'll do serious time, but I'd be mildly surprised if he didn't at least get a month.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly sounds like the lawyers failed him by not convincing him to sign a plea bargain...
3. Cordarelle Patterson
Past Successes: Dez Bryant, Alshon Jeffrey, Torrey Smith
Future Successes: Sammy Watkins, Rueban Randle
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
Certainly sounds like the lawyers failed him by not convincing him to sign a plea bargain...

I think the lawyers and Dennard himself were genuinely convinced the prosecution's case wouldn't hold up.
Sciz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
I think the lawyers and Dennard himself were genuinely convinced the prosecution's case wouldn't hold up.
Based on what has been known about the case, I can't say I blame them.
Pats#1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the judicial system decides Mayweather can post pone and then shorten his jail sentence after beating on his children's mother in front of them so he won't lose money and because he is a star....then I will be pissed if they don't treat this case the same way for Dennard being in a bar fight and then smacking cuffs away when he was drunk.

There's been faaaarrrr too many cases of NFL players getting away with much worse things than this.

I'm not condoning what Dennard did, he was an idiot and deserves to be punished, but like everything else, the judicial system needs to be consistent, which they are unfortunately not.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Dennard will be sentenced on Thursday, the link also adds: "Dennard faces up to five years in jail for his conviction, though generally such cases in Nebraska draw a 90- to 180-day sentence."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2013/04/post_17.html
Tom Brady Tribute
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***
Dennard will be sentenced on Thursday, the link also adds: "Dennard faces up to five years in jail for his conviction, though generally such cases in Nebraska draw a 90- to 180-day sentence."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2013/04/post_17.html

I hear the 90-180 day sentence is the most likely. If he starts his time immediately he will be free Oct 10th at the latest...

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***

I hear the 90-180 day sentence is the most likely. If he starts his time immediately he will be free Oct 10th at the latest...

Free on Oct 10th probably means he won't be up to speed until early November. That's 6-8 games with Kyle Arrington outside Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: