Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Are Browns fans excited about Norv Turner?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you glad Turner's in Cleveland
Yes, his history shows he will help.
73%
 73%  [ 28 ]
No, his history as a head coach shows he's no good.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Stop, collaborate, and listen
23%
 23%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 38

Author Message
Vanilla_Ice


Joined: 17 Jan 2013
Posts: 104
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

malibuspeedrace wrote:
Will a mod add a Third option to the poll....

"stop collaborate and listen"



Haha - well played fellas. Atleast Browns fans have a sense of humor. As for NFCE fans...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dawgpoun8017


Joined: 14 Jan 2009
Posts: 12284
Location: Waterloo,NY
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanilla_Ice wrote:
malibuspeedrace wrote:
Will a mod add a Third option to the poll....

"stop collaborate and listen"



Haha - well played fellas. Atleast Browns fans have a sense of humor. As for NFCE fans...



frankly it is a necessity to keep your sanity as a browns fan
_________________
2013 Joe Blackburn HOF Award Recipient
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dropkick_pride


Joined: 18 Jan 2009
Posts: 10805
Location: C-bus
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
Vanilla_Ice wrote:
malibuspeedrace wrote:
Will a mod add a Third option to the poll....

"stop collaborate and listen"



Haha - well played fellas. Atleast Browns fans have a sense of humor. As for NFCE fans...



frankly it is a necessity to keep your sanity as a browns fan



^^^^
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ditchdigger


Joined: 09 Jan 2005
Posts: 16859
Location: Gahanna, OH
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanilla_Ice wrote:
I can't see SF trading for a FB and backup QB.


Despite your username choice, you appear to be an intelligent man.

Count me in the glad Norval is in Cleveland now crowd. He can do what he does best here, and that is run an offense. I think the pieces we have in place are all well suited for the Air Coryell system he runs, and thought that throughout last season. It was torture watching all the hitches and slow crossing routes last year.

Count me out on Alex Smith, though. If he was good enough to take a team to the playoffs, then Harbaugh would have went back to him after his recovery. If we're going to pay draft picks and a ton of cash for a QB, it better be someone who has proved they are worth it (i.e. Joe Flacco).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brownsalltheway


Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Posts: 1241
Location: Stow, OHIO
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm very excited. Most important, though, I think for Norv to be as successful as we want him to be, it will be all about him getting the right pieces for his offensive attack lined up as quickly as possible. Despite being somewhat of an offensive guru, his actual offensives seem to have a pretty easy to spot template.

Dallas Cowboys 1991 to 1993:
QB - Troy Aikmen
FB - Daryl "Moose" Johnston
RB - Emmitt Smith
WR (#1) - Michael Irvin
WR (blazing deep threat) - Alvin Harper
WR (slot) - Kevin Williams
TE (Receiving) - Jay Novacek
TE (Blocking) - Scott Galbraith
KR/PR - Kevin Williams

Result: Won back-to-back Super Bowls in 1992 and 1993 (he left to be the Redskins Head Coach in 1994).

Highlights:
-Took offense from dead last in yards in 1990 to 9th overall in his first year.
-In 1992 & 1993, his offense ranked 4th in scoring

-Emmitt Smith won the NFL rushing title all three years under Norv Turner

-Dallas had a record of 211 in the regular season and 50 in the postseason when Emmitt Smith ran for 100+ yards in a game under Turner's guidance of the offense from 19911993, usually gaining the lead early with big plays from Aikman to Irvin and Novacek then finishing off drives with Smith and that overpowering front line.

-Troy Aikman had a record of 718 as a starter before Turner's arrival, then 3111 in the regular season and 60 as a starter in the post season winning Super Bowl XXVII MVP.

-Michael Irvin never finished lower than 2nd in the NFL in receiving yards under Norv.

-Overall the Cowboys record was 4213 with 3 playoff appearances, winning 2 NFC East Division Titles (1992, 1993), 2 NFC Championships (1992, 1993), 3 Rushing Titles (19911993 Emmitt Smith), 1 League MVP (1993 Emmitt Smith), and 2 Super Bowls (XXVII, XXVVIII), in Turner's years in Dallas.

San Diego Chargers = 2007-2012
QB - Phillip Rivers
FB - Lorenzo Neal
RB - LaDanian Tomlinson
WR (#1) - Vincent Jackson
WR (blazing deep threat) - Chris Chambers (4.31 40-yard dash)
WR (slot) - Malcolm Floyd 6'5", 221 lbs. (later moved to #2 receiver, then #1)
TE (Receiving) - Antonio Gates
TE (Blocking) - Brandon Manumaleuma
KR/PR - Darren Sproles

Result: Lost the 2007 AFC Championship game; Lost the Divisional Round Game in 2008, Lost to the Jets in their first playoff game in 2009 after a first round bye. Failed to make playoffs in 2010-2012.

Cleveland Browns 2013-???
QB - Brandon Weeden ??
FB - ???
RB - Trent Richardson
WR (#1) - Josh Gordon
WR (blazing deep threat) - ?? (as of now Travis Benjamin)
WR (slot) - Greg Little
TE (receiving) - Jordan Cameron ??
TE (blocking) - ??
KR/PR - Travis Benamin ??

In my opinion if we sign Mike Wallace he moves into the blazing deep threat position. I know guys around here like Travis Benjamin--and I do, too--but the reality police say all he has proven is that he needs to work on catching the ball and it only takes one good hit to knock him from a game.

Possible blocking tight ends that might show up in Cleveland:
Delanie Walker (San Francisco) - Turner was the 49ers OC in 2006 when they drafted Walker.

Dante Rosario (San Diego) - Solid blocking tight end for Turner over several seasons in San Diego.

Anyways, I based on his history and the pieces of his offensive template he already has here, I have good reason to be excited.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Vanilla_Ice


Joined: 17 Jan 2013
Posts: 104
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
Vanilla_Ice wrote:
I can't see SF trading for a FB and backup QB.


Despite your username choice, you appear to be an intelligent man.

Count me in the glad Norval is in Cleveland now crowd. He can do what he does best here, and that is run an offense. I think the pieces we have in place are all well suited for the Air Coryell system he runs, and thought that throughout last season. It was torture watching all the hitches and slow crossing routes last year.

Count me out on Alex Smith, though. If he was good enough to take a team to the playoffs, then Harbaugh would have went back to him after his recovery. If we're going to pay draft picks and a ton of cash for a QB, it better be someone who has proved they are worth it (i.e. Joe Flacco).



The one thing I think that hurts Smith in the Turner talks is his arm - I don't think his arm is very strong. That's where Weeden could excel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NewWorldOrder


Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 957
Location: Cleveland
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As far as Alex Smith, there is history with Norv, and Norv helped him turn his career around. There have been a few threads in our forum, and it seems a lot of us are split on bringing in Alex Smith. Some see him as an immediate upgrade to Weeden, and others don't want him. I personally don't see the attraction to Alex Smith and would prefer giving Weeden a year under Norv/Chud, especially since the FA and draft options are pretty lousy.


I agree with you Reggie. Smith doesn't seem suited for a vertical passing game. In 8 games last season he had 22 passes of 20 yards or more. This doesn't take into account how many passes actually traveled 20 yards in the air.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bulldog


Joined: 18 Nov 2008
Posts: 5840
Location: Salem
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewWorldOrder wrote:
Quote:
As far as Alex Smith, there is history with Norv, and Norv helped him turn his career around. There have been a few threads in our forum, and it seems a lot of us are split on bringing in Alex Smith. Some see him as an immediate upgrade to Weeden, and others don't want him. I personally don't see the attraction to Alex Smith and would prefer giving Weeden a year under Norv/Chud, especially since the FA and draft options are pretty lousy.


I agree with you Reggie. Smith doesn't seem suited for a vertical passing game. In 8 games last season he had 22 passes of 20 yards or more. This doesn't take into account how many passes actually traveled 20 yards in the air.


Alex Smith attempted 19 passes that traveled more than 20 yards in the air, completing 9 of them. for 3 TD's and 1 INT.
_________________
2013 First Ballot Recipient of the Joe Blackburn Award
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mastercheddaar


Joined: 14 Dec 2006
Posts: 5009
Location: Northeast Ohio.. Obviously
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

I voted for the V Ice one just because he rocked in That's My Boy. I really have nothing to add here.

That is all

Mastercheddaar
_________________
For those that don't know:
NFL - AFC Browns, NFC Eagles
Basket Ball - Cavs
Baseball - Indians/Yankees.
CF - Ohio State and Wake Forest
Women - Brunettes with Blue eyes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group