Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

the 2013 future of Percy Harvin (trade to SEA? p.39)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freakout

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Freakout wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
AQuintus wrote:
Freakout wrote:
If Wright, Simpson, and Jenkins can play together then are you honestly going to say that Percy Harvin or Jarius Wright could not do the things we had Michael Jenkins doing? Seriously?

Obviously he could since all Michael Jenkins did was make 1 catch a week and fail to get open the rest of the time. We should probably be aiming a little higher than that.

The bigger question is, why take Harvin out of his comfort zone and where he is most useful. Id rather see Wright on the outside, to keep Harvin in the slot.

I never said it had to be Harvin outside.

The point about Jenkins was clearly about us getting very little production out of him. Even if Wright isn't a perfect fit on the outside, I am pretty comfortable in saying he would make more plays down field than Jenkins. As the third receiver on a run heavy team, that is all you really expect.

Down the field, sure Wright probably has the advantage. But Jenkins did come through with a lot of big possession receptions, I wonder how Wright would do in that same capacity?

Wright's height would hurt him some as a possession receiver. I won't deny that. I don't see how that changes anything. The whole point is to have a receiving unit that compliments each other. If money isn't an issue, I would keep Michael Jenkins as the 4th receiver. If you use him to his strengths he is not a bad possession receiver. You just do not want him running anything past 10 yards down field.

Of course this is all included in drafting a new receiver. One player will not fix everything but it will help balance out a unit that was completely inept.

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Percy comments that he has no comment on potential trade talks:

The Vikings have tiptoed around the topic of whether receiver Percy Harvin will be on the team in 2013. Harvin has opted to take a different approach. Hes not talking.

I got nothing to say about any of that, Harvin tells Brian Murphy of the St. Paul Pioneer Press.

Harvin has been keeping a very low profile in recent weeks. Murphy tracked Harvin down at his Florida home through a search of public records. Its a far cry from Harvin asking to be dealt to a new team. But its an equally far cry from Harvin renewing his vows with the Vikings.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/19/harvin-has-no-comment-about-trade-talk/

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
I'm not saying he can't; I'm saying I wouldn't bank on it as he hasn't shown an ability to, yet, at this level.

I've been going to bat for Wright since we drafted him, and he played all over the field for Arkansas. But, at this level, he hasn't shown anything for me to believe he can be a successful outside receiver.

He hasn't even played a full season.

I don't know what kind of expectations you set for him, but he played pretty much the way I expected him to play. Have a few rookie mistakes, but still add some life into the passing attack.

Give him some time before you judge him.

down but not out. I still believe!
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hence, the "yet" in my post.
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:

I think he can definitely play on the outside. He played all over the field at Arkansas. Its not like he's been in the slot his whole career like Percy.

If we can land Hopkins, keep Percy, resign Simpson and have Wright, I can definitely see Simpson and Jarius splitting time at that other outside spot and see who ends up working out. If worse comes to worse we end up moving Jarius back to the slot if we let Percy walk next year.

If we hold onto Harvin what do you expect us to do with Wright, have him split time with Percy?? That will just cause more drama. We are almost forced to put him on the outside if Harvin is kept. There is no point of keeping him on the sideline because he has shown what he is capable of. Simpson isnt a definite starter so I think it would be a good battle for that outside spot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One issue I have with Wrigh taking the reps on the outside and Harvin on the inside, what happens in two WR sets. If Wright becomes more established on the outside and the Vikes add another outside receiver, where does that put Harvin? He will basically become and overpriced part time player.

An expensive receiver who mostly plays in the slot isnt ideal, what happens when you go 2 WR/2 TE?

Harvin goes back to playing about 50% of the snaps, he starts griping, and fans and the media start complaining that he isnt on the field enough.

If Harvin remains a Viking and signs a big contract, he must learn to play on the outside otherwise he will get surpassed by players who show they can (Wright, not that he has yet, just hypothetically).
Kellerman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
If Harvin remains a Viking and signs a big contract, he must learn to play on the outside otherwise he will get surpassed by players who show they can (Wright, not that he has yet, just hypothetically).

I get where you're coming from, but in my mind this is going about things the wrong way 'round.

You only pay Harvin big money if he's actually a successful outside reciever now. You don't give him a big contract, and then ''hope'' he acquires the skills you paid him for in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

I get where you're coming from, but in my mind this is going about things the wrong way 'round.

You only pay Harvin big money if he's actually a successful outside reciever now. You don't give him a big contract, and then ''hope'' he acquires the skills you paid him for in the first place.

This is essentially the issue the Vikings face. Harvin is mostly hope and potential at this point. The hope is that he develops into a better outside receiver and a receiver who can stay on the field on all downs. You're essentially giving him a big contract with the idea that he will acquire that skill set.

Harvin simply isnt worth whatever contract he gets (assuming #1 WR money) based on his current body of work.

Money shouldnt control if Harvin sees the field in two WR sets, it should be production. I get the feeling that if Harvin is paid, he will be forced onto the field into roles he may not be ideally suited for, and perhaps, he could be holding back other players who may be better fits.

If the Vikings dont feel Harvin has performed up to the standards of a big contract, I hope they dont give in and move on.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:

very true. Laughing

Hopefully Wright will see the field more often throughout the offseason and preseason before this season starts. Without any setbacks, I really think he could be a playmaker for this team. We've seen a few flashes of it already.

CriminalMind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argument A = why should Percy be paid #1 WR money if he has not shown to be an outside threat in this offense.

Argument B = *if Percy has not been used on the outside, not because of ability, but because of the constraints of this offense, is that a reason he should not be paid #1 WR money

On the field, he has lined up all over the place, because we over-all had a lack of WR talent the last 3 years. That should not be put on Percy. Maybe he wants to be a more outside WR, but in this offense they needed him to do different things. Its poor to say Percy is not an outside WR, when he was not given the chance to be an in-game outside WR on this team (whatever the reason being lack of ither WRs, QB play, Playcalling).

I think he will be used as a #1 WR on another offense, if he he not on this team.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Kellerman wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

This is essentially the issue the Vikings face. Harvin is mostly hope and potential at this point. The hope is that he develops into a better outside receiver and a receiver who can stay on the field on all downs. You're essentially giving him a big contract with the idea that he will acquire that skill set.

Harvin simply isnt worth whatever contract he gets (assuming #1 WR money) based on his current body of work.

Money shouldnt control if Harvin sees the field in two WR sets, it should be production. I get the feeling that if Harvin is paid, he will be forced onto the field into roles he may not be ideally suited for, and perhaps, he could be holding back other players who may be better fits.

If the Vikings dont feel Harvin has performed up to the standards of a big contract, I hope they dont give in and move on.

I completely disagree that Harvin is mostly "potential". He's had excellent production over his career, it's just not entirely from the receiver postion. I don't need to see anything from Harvin that he hasn't already done to think he's worth being paid like a top receiver.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll weigh in on the present point of discussion...

i too feel Harvin deserves big money right now, regardless of how his role is classified by position on the field. his contribution to the team is that of an explosive playmaker and he can do that several times a game, every game. guys like that are, and should be, well paid.

HOWEVER... and you all know how infrequently i use capital lettering, Harvin's attitude and dedication is what is in question. and that is what limits his paycheck right now.

my two cents.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:

i too feel Harvin deserves big money right now, regardless of how his role is classified by position on the field. his contribution to the team is that of an explosive playmaker and he can do that several times a game, every game. guys like that are, and should be, well paid.

HOWEVER... and you all know how infrequently i use capital lettering, Harvin's attitude and dedication is what is in question. and that is what limits his paycheck right now.

my two cents.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but has Percy Harvin ever actually quit on the team?

he's expressed his dislike of the offense, mainly the pass game. he has been frustrated with this team and with his coaches, but I've never seen quit...at any point.

as long as he hasn't officially given up, I think we can work out a deal with Harvin. Of course, we would seriously have to consider ways to improve our passing attack, but if both sides can agree to (this) deal, perhaps any questions about his attitude and dedication won't be a concern anymore.

Smile

vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:

my two cents.

you have to wonder though, is that attitude and dedication hindering his ability to be a complete receiver? Its been known that Harvin misses a lot of practice time, I feel as if Harvin should be further along in his development as a WR form the standpoint of running a complete route tree and having the coaches trust to be used more extensively than mostly an underneath receiver
chuck44

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spielman was interviewed today at combine and said " we have no intent on trading Percy Harvin" coupled with Frazier saying that the media hype is fueling this not the vikings....could be smoke screen but doubt...unless someone breaks the bank for him ..he will be a viking

Frazier also said after speaking with Percy that there will be no camp holdout either

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 25 of 44

Jump to: