Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Analyze This: The 2010 Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kparty69

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could've gotten Morgan Burnett and Eric Decker if we didn't trade up for Toby!!
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck44 wrote:
greg hardy was a first rd talent who driopped due to injury....punters dont count.....all the others are role players who wont be on teams in anotheryear.....similar talent can be had in FA or UNdrafted signing...all the guys you mentioned except for a few will be out of the league in less than 4 years

Punters are people too!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kparty69 wrote:
We could've gotten Morgan Burnett and Eric Decker if we didn't trade up for Toby!!

Or Mike Williams (TB).

Really, any combo of two players from round 2 and 3 would be better than a backup RB.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hindsight is a beautiful thing.

We could have had Roddy White and Aaron Rodgers instead of Troy Williamson and Erasmus James.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
hindsight is a beautiful thing.

We could have had Roddy White and Aaron Rodgers instead of Troy Williamson and Erasmus James.

The bigger point is the 2010 draft was mostly a disaster. I got that sense while it was unfolding, and that was a big year to have a standout draft. Just the way it is, and similar to some of the previous drafts before that, its easy to see why the Vikings roster was so thin with little upside in 2011/2012.

The Vikings really are on par with the rest of the league, the draft is mostly a crap shoot. But that isnt an excuse, poor drafting does contribute to head coaches losing there job and its partly why there is so much turnover from year to year.
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F

Out of 8 picks you only got 1 starter, and really only 2 players who contribute to the team. Out of the 8 players only 4 are still on the team, and it could very easily be 2 by next season. And this only after 3 seasons.

Normally I would give it a D, but the trade for Gerhart is mind boggling. And deserves to knock the grade down to an F on it's own. But when you can't even land a contributing special teams player in the later rounds, or even a decent backup, the draft is a complete failure.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I predicted we'd draft Chris Cook with our 1st pick. When I saw we were interested, I figured it would just happen. I like him a lot, but he's been in and out of the lineup. If I could give a solo grade for him, he'd be a B. He's good enough to cover most #1's in this league.

I didn't predict Gerhart, but I hated it when we drafted him. He's a backup who doesn't do anything special for this team. I honestly feel he'd be better off somewhere new, but we likely won't get rid of him until after this season hopefully.

Griffen is an excellent rotational player who is still growing. He's an impact player on defense and helps keep the Dline fresh. Wish we had more of these kinda guys. I could see him becoming a starter in a year.

After that, its been pretty dead. DeGeare never made an impact, and neither did Shuler, D'Imperio or Triplett.

Joe Webb is an interesting case. He's started 3 games in his career, and played in a bunch of games. He's had his moments, up and down. He's a pure athlete QB though without much passing ability. To really get something out of him, he'd need an offensive genius to work with. I actually wouldn't be surprised if we trade him for a 6th this offseason to a team like Philly who I could see be willing to take a chance on him and work on his abilities.

Overall, I'm giving this draft a D+. In hindsight, it just didn't work out well for us at all.

Since Childress has been gone though, our drafts have been better atleast!

down but not out. I still believe!
humbolt1011

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off after looking at it...it was a really really poor draft class. we could have got gronkowski...graham...navarro bowman...but really thats about it!! yeah decker too. overall crappy draft our draft D
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why should anyone be surprised that a Childress draft sucked?

Really? Look at his other P.O.S. moves . . . lol. YES - he did draft some core personnel on the current team. So did Tice for that matter.

Don't get me started on Denny Green's drafts Laughing That guy couldn't pick defensive talent if Ray Lewis and Warren Saap bit his arse. Have to give him props on putting butts in the seats with Carter, Moon, Moss, Smith and Culpepper . . . but those teams were so unbalanced, they weren't going to win deep in the playoffs.

As for the class of 2010, Everson has blossomed and I truly believe Cook is 16 healthy & trouble-free games from being a Pro-Bowl level CB. Gerhart is far better than his record shows, but then again, Steve Young had issues with being in a shadow too . . . lol. However, to date, I'd still rate this draft as a C at best.

Sad to say, but 2012's draft not only beats this one, but it could go down as the best Vikings Draft EVER.
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any grades lower than F? F-? Abysmal?
disaacs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thestonedkoala wrote:
Is there any grades lower than F? F-? Abysmal?

You can't get an F- if at least 1 player is a significant contributor (Everson Griffen).

This draft is closer to a F- than the 2010 Draft:

Quote:
2005 1 1 7 7 Troy Williamson WR South Carolina
2 1 18 18 Erasmus James DE Wisconsin
3 2 17 49 Marcus Johnson T Mississippi
4 3 16 80 Dustin Fox DB Ohio State
5 4 11 112 Ciatrick Fason RB Florida
6 6 17 191 C.J. Mosley DT Missouri
7 7 5 219 Adrian Ward DB Texas-El Paso

Thx to Uncle Buck!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cook and Griffen save the draft from being an "F". Cook has atleast been good when on the field, and Griffen seems like breakout pass rusher waiting to happen.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby, despite giving up to much to get him, is also an effective player from that draft.

He spells our greatest asset and is an effective third down back in pass catching and protection.

The players in the draft get a C as if you can get three guys in a draft that can contribute outside of special teams I feel that's at least average. How they acquired the players drop it down to a D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: