Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mayock: "Dion Jordan could be next Aldon Smith"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
bulldog wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
bulldog wrote:
Once again, Kam was spot on.

Kam has been raving about him for months now. Got me to watch a bunch of videos of him, and its easy to see why.

I just hope he shows up at the combine over 245lbs.

I would hope for mor than that for a 6-7 guy. He'll need the muscle bulk to protect himself in the nfl.

He can't add weight thru his rookie year? ..

The answer is yea, he can.

If he shows up at 245 then he's geting better at adding muscle. He was once reported at 220 or something like that. Id love for him to be 270 as well, but he does play with good leverage already.

That may be dependant on his torn labrum and how healed it will be.

So, he can't ever add weight?

If he's cleared to play football, he can lift weights.
Now I didn't say he couldn't add weight I just said it may be dependat on the status of his injury.

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
candyman93

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger murdock wrote:
I like him but his pass rushing skills are nowhere close to Aldons as a prospect. Aldon is also more or less one dimensional whereas Jordan's strength is versatility.

I thought Aldon sucked at Missouri
Fullback40

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
roger murdock wrote:
I like him but his pass rushing skills are nowhere close to Aldons as a prospect. Aldon is also more or less one dimensional whereas Jordan's strength is versatility.

I thought Aldon sucked at Missouri

He did suck at Missouri. I thought he was going to be a terrible pro. I think that assumption was a little off...

As for Dion Jordan, I am all for it....but I think he needs to show up much heavier than he was at Oregon. And he will need to time well with that added bulk. It will be interesting to see.

I'm all for it regardless of what he weighs in at, but I'd feel about 100x better about it if he weighed in at something respectable.
poorbytehshore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked a bit lanky when he was on NFLN.

Saying that though, it's pretty difficult for anyone who is 6'7 not to look lanky...
KamTrus20

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is not the next Aldon Smith because his game is nothing like Aldon's. He is a unique player that doesn't compare to any single player in the game or has been in the game. The best comparisons I can think of are Jason Taylor, Jevon Kearse and Julian Peterson but again he doesn't compare to any one of those 3 players completely.

Aldon Smith was not bad at Missouri by any stretch of the imagination. I have no idea where people are getting that info from bc it is so far off base and reaks of ignorance. The kid dominated as a freshman going for 19 TFLs and 11.5 sacks. He was hurt for almost the entire season and still put up 10.5 TFL and 4.5 sacks.

Jamison on the sig
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:
He is not the next Aldon Smith because his game is nothing like Aldon's. He is a unique player that doesn't compare to any single player in the game or has been in the game. The best comparisons I can think of are Jason Taylor, Jevon Kearse and Julian Peterson but again he doesn't compare to any one of those 3 players completely.

Aldon Smith was not bad at Missouri by any stretch of the imagination. I have no idea where people are getting that info from bc it is so far off base and reaks of ignorance. The kid dominated as a freshman going for 19 TFLs and 11.5 sacks. He was hurt for almost the entire season and still put up 10.5 TFL and 4.5 sacks.
Mathias Kiwinuka is who he reminds me of

Fullback40

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:

Aldon Smith did nothing in the games I watched of him. He didn't look explosive and dynamic to me. He was a solid player in college, but in big games, he didn't make splash plays. He seemed very pedestrian in terms of edge rushing. Was I wrong about his NFL prospects? Absolutely. Did he dominate big time competition? I didn't see it in college.

Dion Jordan is Adalius Thomas, but with the athleticism of Jason Taylor...actually, he's probably more athletic than Taylor.

Dude is a freak, but he's not a complete player.
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Fullback40"]
KamTrus20 wrote:

Aldon Smith did nothing in the games I watched of him. He didn't look explosive and dynamic to me. He was a solid player in college, but in big games, he didn't make splash plays. He seemed very pedestrian in terms of edge rushing. Was I wrong about his NFL prospects? Absolutely. Did he dominate big time competition? I didn't see it in college.

Dion Jordan is Adalius Thomas, but with the athleticism of Jason Taylor...actually, he's probably more athletic than Taylor.

Dude is a freak, but he's not a complete player.[/quote]+1

Fullback40

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgSoldier wrote:
KamTrus20 wrote:

Mathias Kiwinuka is who he reminds me of

Dion Jordan is a much better athlete than Kiwi. He moves laterally better than any front 7 player in the draft. Kiwi doesn't have great lateral agility. I'd say the closest comparison is Jason Taylor, but he is more athletic than JT. So he really has no good comparison.
bulldog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I said about Jordan in the old thread about him. I'll stand by what I said.

Quote:

- His in-line speed, snap recognition, first step, Flexibility, quickness, and COD skills are off the charts. A rare athlete at his size.

- Hand usage is very good, in both pass rush and run stop. Keeps arms extended and moving.

- Shows a very good rip/rip and dip move. Isn't "just a speed" guy. Shows a inside counter move sometimes. Shows a bullrush, but it needs some work. When it fails, he goes for a inside spin. Variety is there in his moves, but they need some work. also does a good job at running the arc without running past the QB. Noticed several times when at the point of running out of the play, he countered back to the inside.

- Surprised at how much he covered the slot WR. Coaches must have a ton of faith in him.

- Pass/Run recognition is excellent. Shows a very good football IQ.

- Gets off blocks very well. Using mostly his arms. Doesn't bury his shoulder into a blocker.

- Plays containment very well. Keeps his position and plays team defense. I love seeing this from a college player.

-Moves around the field, but primarily lines up against the LT. Hate it when a college team puts the "best" pass rusher over the RT all the time (Werner)

- Displays great hustle. A "to the whistle" kind of guy.

- He does a great job with playing with good leverage, especially for a man his size. When coming out of his stance he displays a low center of gravity, extended arms that reach to the inside of a defender, and attacks. However, when that doesn't work right away and he loses at the POA, he stands up and gets out of his stance. Most notably when trying to bull rush, or in the run game. Especially on a in-line block.

-The other key thing I noticed that is a not going to cut it in the NFL is his either inability, or lack of effort at trying to go through someone. Almost every play, he tries to go around, and does a great job at it. He's going to have to go man-to-man in the NFL and physically beat his guy at times. Right now, he just doesn't do that.

I think he might actually be a better fit at 43 DE b/c of his short area quickness. I've always felt that 34 OLB lose that advantage to some degree. He needs to refine his pass rush moves, but they are there. Needs to maintain leverage. Could stand to gain about 15-20 lbs. His potential is through the roof, and he knows what he is doing.

NFL comparison- Jason Peirre-Paul, Jason Taylor.

Browns_Buckeyes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after watching his highlights im not totally sold on him, seems to only have the kamerion wimbley dip move, needs to develop more rush moves, he did seem to have a nigh motor which i liked tho

dawg24 with this sweet sig

dqwell jackson> ray lewis.

Cleveland is my city, and i LOVE IT!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: