Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Historical look at Rookie QB's
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
e5i50blitz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BwickBrownie wrote:

Here's the thing I don't understand about your argument... you use a lot of "if's" / "could's" / etc to describe Weeden, so you are clearly acknowledging that next year he also has potential to replicate this past season's meh production. You also acknowledge that in a best case scenario he's done in five years, and the Browns are back to looking for another guy. So if that's the case, why are you pushing to stick with him, instead of going with a proven guy like Alex Smith? What if all your ifs/coulds don't pan out and it's another waisted year of Browns 6 win football? Sure, Smith will never be a top five qb, but at least we know he won't be a detriment to the team and we can have two or three years of solid QB play before the new regime starts one of their own guys. I feel like a lot of people are falling into the sunk-cost trap with Weeden (his first round pick status) and not looking at it from a pragmatic point of view.[/b]

You are right in the fact that I am questioning Weeden, he could be meh and win 6 games in 2013 and we will be hunting for a qb in 2014.

I have in many posts stated that Weeden is a yet unknown.

My thinking is even with an Alex smith we should still be looking for a backup by 2014. We know Alex smith is a system quarterback that could not even hold his starting job after a 13-3 season in 2011
In 2010 he was 6-10 and his previous years were all meh.

Bottom line we know the ceiling on smith, we do not on Weeden, he could be at it or he could bloom into a better quarterback than smith. we will never know if we don't give it a shot. Based upon the stats, he was serviceable, and within statistical possibility of getting better.

I guess I am sick of all the journeyman blah QB's we have had like Ty detmer and Kelly Holcomb, Alex smith just seems more of the same.

At the end of the day in 2014 we need to be looking at a QB, the question is if that qb will have time to learn on the bench or is thrown into the fire then

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e5i50blitz wrote:
BwickBrownie wrote:

Here's the thing I don't understand about your argument... you use a lot of "if's" / "could's" / etc to describe Weeden, so you are clearly acknowledging that next year he also has potential to replicate this past season's meh production. You also acknowledge that in a best case scenario he's done in five years, and the Browns are back to looking for another guy. So if that's the case, why are you pushing to stick with him, instead of going with a proven guy like Alex Smith? What if all your ifs/coulds don't pan out and it's another waisted year of Browns 6 win football? Sure, Smith will never be a top five qb, but at least we know he won't be a detriment to the team and we can have two or three years of solid QB play before the new regime starts one of their own guys. I feel like a lot of people are falling into the sunk-cost trap with Weeden (his first round pick status) and not looking at it from a pragmatic point of view.[/b]

You are right in the fact that I am questioning Weeden, he could be meh and win 6 games in 2013 and we will be hunting for a qb in 2014.

I have in many posts stated that Weeden is a yet unknown.

My thinking is even with an Alex smith we should still be looking for a backup by 2014. We know Alex smith is a system quarterback that could not even hold his starting job after a 13-3 season in 2011
In 2010 he was 6-10 and his previous years were all meh.

Bottom line we know the ceiling on smith, we do not on Weeden, he could be at it or he could bloom into a better quarterback than smith. we will never know if we don't give it a shot. Based upon the stats, he was serviceable, and within statistical possibility of getting better.

I guess I am sick of all the journeyman blah QB's we have had like Ty detmer and Kelly Holcomb, Alex smith just seems more of the same.

At the end of the day in 2014 we need to be looking at a QB, the question is if that qb will have time to learn on the bench or is thrown into the fire then

These two post probably reflect the most intelligent and even discourse I have read in this forum.

As noted, even if we get Smith, we will be looking for our QB of the future in 2014.

The "tie-breaker", imho, is that I don't think the new regime is going to risk a < 6 banking on Weeden.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: