Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

percy the patriot?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mission27 wrote:
I guess I'm just not sure what you're getting at. How do you think the team should address the wide receiver position and how do you think we should use our early draft picks? I'm honestly curious.

How I'd address the WR position - bring in a moderately priced veteran (S.Moss, Amendola, Hartline, etc) and try to draft one in the top 40 picks somewhere.

Quote:
I think bringing back Welker is a mistake, basically for the reasons you outlined. He's just another guy who can catch the ball around the line of scrimmage. He's older and inconsistent and in part a product of the system he plays in. I think Harvin's more than that... but we've discussed that at length already.

I agree that bringing back Welker is a mistake (though I am expecting the team to do so). And I do agree Harvin is a more dynamic player than Welker. Where we differ is the value we put on the "more than Welker" part of Harvin's receiving game.

Quote:
So I can see basically two possibilities. Either we bring in a guy like Jennings or Harvin to replace Welker and give him big money, we retain Talib, retain Edelman to play Welker's role, bring in a veteran safety, and let go of Vollmer then spend whatever early picks we have remaining on a replacement for Vollmer and possibly another defensive back. Or we do whatever we can to keep Vollmer and Talib and Edelman here and spend our first round pick on a legitimate future #1 receiver and hope it works out.

Letting go of Vollmer would be the first thing I do in any scenario. I really like the guy (have loved him since college), I think he's the best RT in the NFL but I don't think he's worth more than $5M per year and IMO someone will give him 7M+. If the market for him doesn't materialize, I'd be happy to have him back for a reasonable deal.

I think there are a lot of different combinations of players and ways to spend their money which could give the team a better roster. Just in terms of long-term roster building strategy, I'd prefer to see a 1st round (or early 2nd round) WR over a 4-5 year veteran signing. There is a ton of value to having your #1 WR being cost controlled for 4 or 5 years under $3M per year.

Either way, I don't think the Pats will go into the draft "having" to take a specific position. So I expect them to find bodies in the secondary (either at CB or at S with the flexibility of moving McCourty) and WR. If they choose to let Welker and Talib go, we're not going to see them go into April with scrubs at those positions and hoping for an early draft success.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvin, I think, would do the most damage as a receiving back for us.
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly have a hard time seeing how the "Welker role" could be any more productive. In terms of getting open, gaining first downs etc etc Brady-Welker are not going to be bettered. Yes Harvin is faster, but Welker is shiftier, Harvin is slightly bigger but Welker is more durable. It would be basically the same offense with Harvin in place of Welker...only with more doubt over a fitness and more of a diva attitude.

I'm on board with letting Welker go....but don't see how "Welker but faster" balances out the amount he'll cost. Edelman is faster than Welker too, has had several injuries too....but he's cheaper and knows the system already. Demps can probably return kicks as well as Harvin and Edelman is one of the better punt returners in the game. He doesn't bring anything worth the huge contract and sucky attitude.

We don't need the same offense, we have plenty of first downs and yards already, we need to add a faster scoring wrinkle to the offense with a second redzone threat - and that means size.

Adopt-a-Pat 2014: Robert Gronkowski TE
Rec: 40 Yards: 558 TDs: 7
mission27

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Letting go of Vollmer would be the first thing I do in any scenario. I really like the guy (have loved him since college), I think he's the best RT in the NFL but I don't think he's worth more than $5M per year and IMO someone will give him 7M+. If the market for him doesn't materialize, I'd be happy to have him back for a reasonable deal.

I could see that, as long as the money went into the right defensive talent. I have a great deal of confidence in the Belichick regime's ability to evaluate offensive line prospects and I think a right tackle, even a really good one, is absolutely replaceable.

And I'm not necessarily against trying to fix the wideout problem in the draft. I like a lot of the guys who could be available between 25-40. I just hope the coaching staff is very sure they're drafting the right player. I wouldn't want to take a risk at a position so lacking in talent and so vital to this offense with Brady already 35.

thelawoffices wrote:
I mean it stretches like my butt muscles but it's not like painful I can just feel the stretch.

#JDI
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mission27 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

I could see that, as long as the money went into the right defensive talent. I have a great deal of confidence in the Belichick regime's ability to evaluate offensive line prospects and I think a right tackle, even a really good one, is absolutely replaceable.

And I'm not necessarily against trying to fix the wideout problem in the draft. I like a lot of the guys who could be available between 25-40. I just hope the coaching staff is very sure they're drafting the right player. I wouldn't want to take a risk at a position so lacking in talent and so vital to this offense with Brady already 35.

Under Belichick, the Patriots have almost never gone into a draft having to hit on a pick to fill an important hole on the roster. If Welker departs, there will definitely be veterans added (at least one of solid quality) pre-draft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: