Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

WWHickok's Mock Draft: Version 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: WWHickok's Mock Draft: Version 3 Reply with quote

Mock Draft Version 3
After looking at, reading through, and considering all of the mocks over the last week or so that we’ve seen, I decided to give it another go yet again. Version 3 of my Mock, did a bit of a shake up this time. Let me know your honest opinions, I spent some extra time on this one.

Key Resignings
FB Doug Johnson, HB Rashard Mendenhall, WR Emmanuel Sanders,
WR Plaxico Burress – resigns a 1 year, affordable deal , C Doug Legursky, DT Steve McClendon
SS Will Allen – has been reliable, resigns a 1 year, affordable deal

Free Agents that Walk
QB Charlie Batch, QB Byron Leftwich, HB Isaac Redman, HB Jonathan Dwyer, WR Mike Wallace, TE Leonard Pope, LT Max Starks, OL Ramon Foster, C Greg Warren, NT Casey Hampton, MLB Larry Foote,
LB Brandon Johnson, CB Keenan Lewis, CB Justin King, FS Ryan Mundy, P Jeremy Kapinos

Key Restructures
QB Ben Roethlisberger, LOLB LaMarr Woodley, SS Troy Polamalu

Key Cuts
Willie Colon, ROLB James Harrison

Key Free Agent Signings
QB – Troy Smith (mobile QB, may be able to add an extra element/different style)
RB – Jackie Battle (wanted this guy when he came out, perhaps he can push Mendenhall..or create a nice 1-2 punch)
P – Dustin Colquitt

TRADE ALERT! The Pittsburgh Steelers trade the 17th overall pick to the St. Louis Rams for the #21 overall pick, their 2013 5th round Pick, and their 2014 3rd round pick. (St. Louis moves in front of Dallas to select OG/Chance Warmack)

1:21 – NT/Jesse Williams/Alabama

If you’re going to build the roster and regain that competitive edge, as cliché as it may sound, you’ve got to start in the trenches. I believe most of us can agree that Ziggy Hood was not very effective this season, could you attribute some of that to the play at NT? I believe so, I think that Casey Hampton played well but he’s also old and won’t be back. I think McClendon is a significant downgrade from Hampton and I don’t believe Ta’amu is our future at Nose Tackle.

TRADE ALERT! Pittsburgh Steelers trade #48 overall & 2014 3rd Round Pick to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for #43 overall to move in front of the Carolina Panthers(who could use a WR)!

2:43 – WR/Justin Hunter – Tennessee – Due to his his injuries, despite being arguably the best WR in the class, he falls into the 2nd round.

3:79 – FS/Bacarri Rambo – Georgia
Fills a huge need and with a talented, high potential safety who doubles as our future starter. I actually think that Rambo gets significant playing time in the 2013-2014 season and will take over the starting role in the 2014-2015 season. I haven’t had a mock without him yet.

4:112 – CB/Terry Hawthorne – Illinois
I’ve had him mocked a couple times now. He’s got good size and good skills. Value pick here.

5: 143: - OLB/Travis Long - Washington State
Travis long is better than some give him credit for. He’s for sure a 3-4 LB in the NFL, think Conner Barwin, his potential impact as a Steeler is bigger imo than his college #’s would suggest.

5:147 - ILB/A.J. Klein – Iowa State
Klein would be a good compliment to Timmons.

6:175 - OG/Omoregie Uzzi/Georgia Tech
Really like this guy, I think he’d be solid depth and heck, could turn into a nice surprise like Beachum did.

7:207 – TE/Ben Cotton – Nebraska
He’s not going to scare anyone with his receiving capabilities. His allure is his ability to block. With Heath Miller possibly not being available at the start of the season, perhaps Cotton can provide extra protection from Ben. While losing that ‘oh so reliable’ receiving threat in Miller, we essential pick up an ‘extra offensive lineman’ to help with the weapons we do have.
jebrick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy Smith of the Omaha Nighthawks? Really?

I also think that either Dwyer or Redman will be kept. Not both but one of them.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
Troy Smith of the Omaha Nighthawks? Really?

I also think that either Dwyer or Redman will be kept. Not both but one of them.

I really wanted to say Matt Moore. That's who I'd like our backup to be, at least for this season. But..I tried to be realistic..honestly looking at the long list of 'backup QBs', none of them screamed to me...so I just sorta "threw a dart at that one".
gatek99

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much better QBs who will be in the free agent market who actually played last year.

Why replace Drew Butler? He did great last season and he was only a rookie?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatek99 wrote:
So much better QBs who will be in the free agent market who actually played last year.

Drew Butler did great last season? Who were you watching? 26th in punt average and 25th in net.

I bet you thought Mitch Berger and Paul Ernster were great too, huh?
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TSerg wrote:
gatek99 wrote:

Drew Butler did great last season? Who were you watching? 26th in punt average and 25th in net.

I bet you thought Mitch Berger and Paul Ernster were great too, huh?

Dont compare him to Paul Ernster, who flat out botched several punts.

Butler didnt do great but he wasnt that bad either, especially for a rookie. Only a few yards seperate punters and he was solid most of the year. He deserves to at least compete for the job.

That being said, Id take Colquitt over him in a second....although he will most likely be resigned.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant disagree on the FA's though Colquit>>>>>>Butler.

Anyone got a thought on the draft? Wink
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: WWHickok's Mock Draft: Version 3 Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
Mock Draft Version 3
After looking at, reading through, and considering all of the mocks over the last week or so that we’ve seen, I decided to give it another go yet again. Version 3 of my Mock, did a bit of a shake up this time. Let me know your honest opinions, I spent some extra time on this one.

Key Resignings
FB Will Johnson, HB Rashard Mendenhall, WR Emmanuel Sanders, WR Plaxico Burress – resigns a 1 year, affordable deal , C Doug Legursky, DT Steve McClendon
SS Will Allen – has been reliable, resigns a 1 year, affordable deal

I would resign Redman and Dwyer.
I would do my best to resign Keenan Lewis
I wouldn't resign Allen only because of $$$ situation. He played well, but I like Robert Golden's potential.

Free Agents that Walk
QB Charlie Batch, QB Byron Leftwich, HB Isaac Redman, HB Jonathan Dwyer, WR Mike Wallace, TE Leonard Pope, LT Max Starks, OL Ramon Foster, C Greg Warren, NT Casey Hampton, MLB Larry Foote,
LB Brandon Johnson, CB Keenan Lewis, CB Justin King, FS Ryan Mundy, P Jeremy Kapinos

Key Restructures
QB Ben Roethlisberger, LOLB LaMarr Woodley, SS Troy Polamalu

Key Cuts
Willie Colon, ROLB James Harrison

I was originally against this, but I would if it helps. Cut Colon on June 1 and I am not sure how much Harrison would help/hurt because he has another year on his contract.

Key Free Agent Signings
QB – Troy Smith (mobile QB, may be able to add an extra element/different style)

I would like to get Mark Sanchez as a back-up. He is a game manager and I thik wuld be a good fit. The change of scenery would do him some good. They had Troy in last year. I liked the other kid from Texas or Texas Tech (forgot his name). Tall, strong armed and athletic kid.

RB – Jackie Battle (wanted this guy when he came out, perhaps he can push Mendenhall..or create a nice 1-2 punch)

I like him and he brings size, speed, and toughness. I don't know if we could afford him though.

P – Dustin Colquitt

He's good and his father punted for the Steelers, but I think Drew did alright for a rookie. Sign a rookie free agent as an extra leg and camp competition.

TRADE ALERT! The Pittsburgh Steelers trade the 17th overall pick to the St. Louis Rams for the #21 overall pick, their 2013 5th round Pick, and their 2014 3rd round pick. (St. Louis moves in front of Dallas to select OG/Chance Warmack)

1:21 – NT/Jesse Williams/Alabama

If you’re going to build the roster and regain that competitive edge, as cliché as it may sound, you’ve got to start in the trenches. I believe most of us can agree that Ziggy Hood was not very effective this season, could you attribute some of that to the play at NT? I believe so, I think that Casey Hampton played well but he’s also old and won’t be back. I think McClendon is a significant downgrade from Hampton and I don’t believe Ta’amu is our future at Nose Tackle.

If Chance Womack was there I would've taken him at #17. I'm not a fan of the NG in round 1. The Steelers also have the kid from Seattle (Fangupo).

TRADE ALERT! Pittsburgh Steelers trade #48 overall & 2014 3rd Round Pick to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for #43 overall to move in front of the Carolina Panthers(who could use a WR)!

2:43 – WR/Justin Hunter – Tennessee – Due to his his injuries, despite being arguably the best WR in the class, he falls into the 2nd round.

I would love the pick, but he won't last this long the way things are going. Who knows, I thought the Steelers would select OG Duke Robinson in the first a few years back too. Surprised

3:79 – FS/Bacarri Rambo – Georgia
Fills a huge need and with a talented, high potential safety who doubles as our future starter. I actually think that Rambo gets significant playing time in the 2013-2014 season and will take over the starting role in the 2014-2015 season. I haven’t had a mock without him yet.

I am on the Rambo bandwagon as well.4

:112 – CB/Terry Hawthorne – Illinois
I’ve had him mocked a couple times now. He’s got good size and good skills. Value pick here.

5: 143: - OLB/Travis Long - Washington State
Travis long is better than some give him credit for. He’s for sure a 3-4 LB in the NFL, think Conner Barwin, his potential impact as a Steeler is bigger imo than his college #’s would suggest.

5:147 - ILB/A.J. Klein – Iowa State
Klein would be a good compliment to Timmons.

6:175 - OG/Omoregie Uzzi/Georgia Tech
Really like this guy, I think he’d be solid depth and heck, could turn into a nice surprise like Beachum did.

7:207 – TE/Ben Cotton – Nebraska
He’s not going to scare anyone with his receiving capabilities. His allure is his ability to block. With Heath Miller possibly not being available at the start of the season, perhaps Cotton can provide extra protection from Ben. While losing that ‘oh so reliable’ receiving threat in Miller, we essential pick up an ‘extra offensive lineman’ to help with the weapons we do have.

The rest of the draft I have no problems with. Not bad, I just don't like Williams over Womack.

Thanks for the Sig CalhounLambeau!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: