Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How good is Von Miller at LB?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
copeland

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:
Heres one for you guys. If Von Miller were drafted where Aldon Smith was, would Michael Strahans sack record have fallen by now?

While I do think Aldon Smith is a top tear player, I don't think he gets the sack numbers he has without Justin Smith, to this point in his career, anyway.
If Miller is lined up exactly how Smith is every play, I would call it a wash/with a slight edge to Miller. Both are animals. Fun to watch
dbronx42

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How good is Chuck Norris at being awesome? That's your answer on how good Von Miller is. Cool

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, Von Miller has to be played differently in the running game than other Linebackers. I doubt there's any players to compare with him. As for how good he is, most of the time he's Denver's best run defender and is very disruptive.

elliot878 wrote:
Heres one for you guys. If Von Miller were drafted where Aldon Smith was, would Michael Strahans sack record have fallen by now?

There's a chance Strahan's record would have fallen this year had Von Miller not been taken out early in the 2nd game against Kansas City. So yes, there's a chance Von could break Strahan's sack record in any season, with any team. He's already a better pass rusher than Strahan by a significant margin.

copeland wrote:
If Miller is lined up exactly how Smith is every play, I would call it a wash/with a slight edge to Miller. Both are animals. Fun to watch

Aldon Smith doesn't even deserve to be talked about in the same breath as Von Miller.
broncodad2012

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
OP, Von Miller has to be played differently in the running game than other Linebackers. I doubt there's any players to compare with him. As for how good he is, most of the time he's Denver's best run defender and is very disruptive.

elliot878 wrote:

There's a chance Strahan's record would have fallen this year had Von Miller not been taken out early in the 2nd game against Kansas City. So yes, there's a chance Von could break Strahan's sack record in any season, with any team. He's already a better pass rusher than Strahan by a significant margin.

copeland wrote:

Aldon Smith doesn't even deserve to be talked about in the same breath as Von Miller.
the later part of the season proved to stop aldon elminate Justin. to stop Von you play defense so hes not on the field
AKRNA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd weigh in on this. Bottom line, Von is already one of the best I've ever seen on the outside.

Last year I thought he was just a one trick pony (and he was). Teams took advantage of him in the running game and he didn't seem to have the instinct for it.

This year he's improved leaps and bounds. He's an absolute animal in the running game. Forces the action and disrupts blocking schemes. Last year you could run at him pretty easily. Not now. His play recognition has improved drastically.

Not really a need to describe his pass rushing skills. Volumes have already been written. They're already top tier and can only go up.

IMO too much weight is put on sack #'s and not total production. I guess thats where the comparisons to Smith arise. Well, there is no comparison. Von is a very unique talent and barring injury may re-define the position, much as LT did. Smith is not. Good, but not great.

It's fun guys, with Von we're watching what incredible physical gifts plus a burning desire to be the best can produce. He's an absolute joy to watch play.

I'm not really concerned with his coverage skills good, bad or otherwise. Why, when you've got a talent that's as disruptive as Von at the LOS would you want him in coverage anyway? Just a hunch though, I'll bet he works his tail off this year to improve in that area, same as he did last year on his run defense and play recognition.

Sure am glad we drafted him instead of Dareus.
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:

No kidding. Dareus had kind of a bad season too. I remember in 2011 I was saying Miller was the right pick but had we chosen Dareus it still would have been a nice pick. While I still think Dareus has a chance to be very good, knowing what I know now about Denver's defense and just how great Von is, it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say drafting Dareus over Miller would have been a complete disaster.
Winder23

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
AKRNA wrote:

No kidding. Dareus had kind of a bad season too. I remember in 2011 I was saying Miller was the right pick but had we chosen Dareus it still would have been a nice pick. While I still think Dareus has a chance to be very good, knowing what I know now about Denver's defense and just how great Von is, it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say drafting Dareus over Miller would have been a complete disaster.
No doubt about it. One could say drafting anyone ahead of Miller would have been a disaster. JJ Watt is about the only exception I can think of.
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add in A.J. Green, the best receiver in the NFL. Wow did Buffalo screw up in the draft. They could have one of the better receiving corps in the NFL with Green, Stevie, Nelson, and Graham which might have made Chan Gailey's offense work. Instead that team looks to be stuck in mediocrity with little hope of becoming good.
Winder23

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
I would add in A.J. Green, the best receiver in the NFL. Wow did Buffalo screw up in the draft. They could have one of the better receiving corps in the NFL with Green, Stevie, Nelson, and Graham which might have made Chan Gailey's offense work. Instead that looks to be stuck in mediocrity with little hope of becoming good.
Of course. I would still probably take Miller over Green.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: