Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Baltimore Ravens 2013 Free Agency Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12988
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:
I think Shaun Phillips is the type of under the radar free agent Ozzie Might spring for. He's on the downside of his career, but he still has a few productive years left. He could definitely help replace Krugar's production, assuming we lose him.

This draft is stacked with pass rushing talent. We already have Suggs, Upshaw, McClellan (who has proven to at least be a solid run stopper), and Adrian Hamilton.

Obviously its not ideal. But it's enough for us to roll with heading into this draft IMO. It's enough that we don't need to call the OLB spot a weakness needed of plugging via FA.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mancunian Raven


Joined: 09 Oct 2012
Posts: 2291
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
I'm all for Joe getting filthy rich. But I wanna drown this agent.


I'm not liking Linta too much either. And while I commend Joe for taking the view, 'the contract is my agent's business, I'm not concerning myself with it', I think it's time he did get involved and open himself to a little compromise.

It's very nice being able to say you want more money than anyone else, but you've got to be a realist and understand the team's situation.

Hopefully, now that the season is over, Joe will talk to Ozzie and Steve himself, and they can come to a fair and equitable understanding.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 7616
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm not in favor of the team spending cap space on a pass-rusher unless they find some way to retain Kruger at a reasonable price. The cheaper options are cheap for a reason. Most of the time it's because of age (if they're any good at least) and that usually means those kinds of players are just stop-gaps. I think Baltimore needs to get a pass-rusher in the draft that can be developed to eventually take over for Suggs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DontTazeMeBro


Joined: 19 Jan 2008
Posts: 26424
Location: 321
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Upshaw is going to be a beast so I don't even consider edge rusher a priority.

If it is at all possible for us to make a splash in free agency, I'd love to get Randy Starks.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
patman


Joined: 02 Jan 2006
Posts: 1002
Location: Tiverton RI
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
I'm all for Joe getting filthy rich. But I wanna drown this agent.


I'm not liking Linta too much either. And while I commend Joe for taking the view, 'the contract is my agent's business, I'm not concerning myself with it', I think it's time he did get involved and open himself to a little compromise.

It's very nice being able to say you want more money than anyone else, but you've got to be a realist and understand the team's situation.

Hopefully, now that the season is over, Joe will talk to Ozzie and Steve himself, and they can come to a fair and equitable understanding.


What do you mean understand the team's situation? It is the same situation that the Patriots, Denver, NO are in, you have a 20 mill qb.
Next off season the Packers and the Falcons will be there. I wish Brady played for 8 mill last year the pats could have signed 2 more impact players to help them last year. But there is no understanding to be done. The team has to build around a 20 mill qb.

I don't understand why the Ravens let him get to FA? Was the contract that they offered last year full of "funny" money.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 9439
Location: MD
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
I think Upshaw is going to be a beast so I don't even consider edge rusher a priority.

If it is at all possible for us to make a splash in free agency, I'd love to get Randy Starks.


Well, it seems that veteran DE/OLB are going to be in large supply this offseason, so that'll give teams a little more leverage on price/commitment. If we can get a guy (maybe cut to avoid the netting for comp picks) on a prove it type contract I think it could be very worth it. I would also like to see us get an edge rusher high in the draft. I would be elated if we got someone in round 1, then signed a vet on a 1yr/low salary type contract with performance incentives.

A couple of guys that may be out there:

Calvin Pace
Shaun Phillips
Dwight Freeney
Osi Umenyora
Quentin Groves
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 7616
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Franchise-Tag-For-Joe-Flacco-Or-Nobody/c930c192-ec39-4e9f-a85d-293f440bd232

Quote:
If Flacco and the Ravens do work out a new contract by that deadline, they would then have the tag available to potentially use on one of their other prized free agents like Ed Reed or Paul Kruger.

But don't expect the Ravens to tag anyone else.

"We get a deal done with Joe, we will not franchise another player," General Manager Ozzie Newsome said during Thursday's State of the Ravens address. "We will not do that."


That's not really surprising. The tag for anybody would take up a good chunk of cap room.

There's also these tidbits (I think they're from the same press conference though):

Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
Ozzie newsome said only time team considers restructures is if a player has great value or player has good chance of reaching end of deal


Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
Ozzie newsome said restructures are a 'last resort' will do that if they have to though


To be fair I don't think there are any players that they wouldn't see reaching the end of their deals. Still nothing too surprising but it does kind of throw out the notion that there are going to be a bunch of cap-saving moves this offseason.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 23200
Location: Parkville, MD
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patman wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
I'm all for Joe getting filthy rich. But I wanna drown this agent.


I'm not liking Linta too much either. And while I commend Joe for taking the view, 'the contract is my agent's business, I'm not concerning myself with it', I think it's time he did get involved and open himself to a little compromise.

It's very nice being able to say you want more money than anyone else, but you've got to be a realist and understand the team's situation.

Hopefully, now that the season is over, Joe will talk to Ozzie and Steve himself, and they can come to a fair and equitable understanding.


What do you mean understand the team's situation? It is the same situation that the Patriots, Denver, NO are in, you have a 20 mill qb.
Next off season the Packers and the Falcons will be there. I wish Brady played for 8 mill last year the pats could have signed 2 more impact players to help them last year. But there is no understanding to be done. The team has to build around a 20 mill qb.

I don't understand why the Ravens let him get to FA? Was the contract that they offered last year full of "funny" money.


Agreed. There is no understanding to be done. Franchise QBs make close to $20M a year. Joe is a franchise QB. Therefore, he wants to be paid like one.

And last year they didn't offer "funny money", but obviously the two sides couldn't come to an agreement. They agreed to let it go another year where Joe could "prove" he was worth what he wanted, rather than Joe holding out for a new deal. He did just that and increased his value a bit.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 23200
Location: Parkville, MD
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Franchise-Tag-For-Joe-Flacco-Or-Nobody/c930c192-ec39-4e9f-a85d-293f440bd232

Quote:
If Flacco and the Ravens do work out a new contract by that deadline, they would then have the tag available to potentially use on one of their other prized free agents like Ed Reed or Paul Kruger.

But don't expect the Ravens to tag anyone else.

"We get a deal done with Joe, we will not franchise another player," General Manager Ozzie Newsome said during Thursday's State of the Ravens address. "We will not do that."


That's not really surprising. The tag for anybody would take up a good chunk of cap room.

There's also these tidbits (I think they're from the same press conference though):

Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
Ozzie newsome said only time team considers restructures is if a player has great value or player has good chance of reaching end of deal


Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
Ozzie newsome said restructures are a 'last resort' will do that if they have to though


To be fair I don't think there are any players that they wouldn't see reaching the end of their deals. Still nothing too surprising but it does kind of throw out the notion that there are going to be a bunch of cap-saving moves this offseason.


Yeah, I wouldn't expect too many cap-saving moves.

Boldin will likely be extended to get his cap number down and to keep a very productive player around.

I don't think Suggs will be asked to restructure.

I think Cary/Kruger walk.

I think Birk retires or we release him.

The Ed thing will be all up to him, but I think we ask him to come back for a small salary ($4-5m or so).

We keep Ellerbe and Joe.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcdni


Joined: 12 Nov 2004
Posts: 631
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much agree with everything Flaccomania has written. The Ravens will make an offer to Ed and if he wants to stay he will take it. If he wants to hold out for more money he will be playing for someone else next season.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RavensfanRD


Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 1681
Location: Baltimore, MD (Land of the Greatness)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance Pitta or Dickson is snatched up by another team you guys think?
_________________

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
draftguru1234


Joined: 09 Feb 2011
Posts: 549
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Mckinnie? To me, he was the biggest x-factor in the playoffs. Without him, Flacco doesn't make the 11-0 run.

When hes starting/playing well, it has a domino affect on the entire o-line. It goes from mediocre, to possibly one of the best in the league.

It all depends on his value, but I would re-sign him to an incentive heavy 2 year deal (with a team option for the 2nd year), and draft a LT to develop.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12988
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draftguru1234 wrote:
What about Mckinnie? To me, he was the biggest x-factor in the playoffs. Without him, Flacco doesn't make the 11-0 run.

When hes starting/playing well, it has a domino affect on the entire o-line. It goes from mediocre, to possibly one of the best in the league.

It all depends on his value, but I would re-sign him to an incentive heavy 2 year deal (with a team option for the 2nd year), and draft a LT to develop.

I don't think McKinnie will be back.

Simply put, he's not going to be our main free agent focus- that will be Joe. Our front office will be busy likely trying to extend the deals to both Boldin and Jacoby. Then you have both Reed and Ellerbe who will likely be considered greater priorities.

Meanwhile, McKinnie is coming off a great string of four games that should see his FA value skyrocket (as compared to what it was) and now suddenly he just might have a team pay him $3-4m/year on an incentive deal... it wouldn't be the first time an NFL team has gone out and got desperate.

We have to remember that McKinnie owes money on a loan he took out during the lockout and so making a lot of money will likely be more appealing to him than as per usual.

We know McKinnie prefers to be the starter and we've already proven the potential to bench the guy for an entire season. Our front office also reduced how much he was going to make this season or threatening him with release. Reed and Lewis were both instrumental in getting McKinnie to play here so they could make a run at a Super Bowl... they just won the Super Bowl, Lewis is retiring, and Reed might not be back.

So all factors implemented and you'd have to assume that McKinnie is going to sign with whichever team can give him the best possible chance of starting and making money... And I just doubt that will be with the Ravens.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 7616
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take these evaluations with a grain of salt because there's a bit of objectivity in them but I think McKusick is fairly good at them.

http://russellstreetreport.com/filmstudy-conspiracy-of-circumstance-off-line-model-notes-vs-indy-1613/

Quote:
McKinnie: Bryant did a good job pass blocking Dwight Freeney, who he held to 1 pressure on a spin move (Q3, 8:33) on Flacco’s 20-yard TD to Pitta. I charged him with another half pressure (shared with Oher) when he failed to block anyone and allowed Hughes a free run from the left side. What stood out for McKinnie was run-blocking effort. The Ravens’ first offensive play (Q1, 13:12) is a good example. He pinned Antonio Johnson to Osemele, then turned and pushed weak side linebacker Jerrell Freeman several times. For the game, he would accumulate 5 blocks in level 2, which is a complete change from the McKinnie of a year ago. While still a good pass rusher, Freeney is an undersized DE known for running himself out of position versus the run. McKinnie did a good job of allowing that, then controlling Freeney’s ability to reenter the play. A good example occurred on Pierce’s 6-yard run (Q1, 0:14). Scoring: 53 plays, 48 blocks, 3 missed, 1.5 pressures, 45 points (.85 per play). That’s a B+ with an adjustment for Robert Mathis and Freeney.


http://russellstreetreport.com/filmstudy-offensive-line-model-notes-vs-broncos-11213/

Quote:
McKinnie: Bryant returned to indifference as a run blocker. Last week he made 5 level 2 blocks, but with more zone plays headed right on Saturday, he was left without a block with some frequency. There is a systemic issue with McKinnie, because he doesn’t cut block in such situations. That may be something the club has asked him not to do, but both Oher and Osemele threw a good number per game (as tackles) when runs went to the opposite side. Alternatively, the tackle can turn away from the run and pick up a trailing DB or perhaps the OLB which will have value only if the play is cut back early or becomes a breakaway that requires someone to chase it down from behind.

As a pass blocker, McKinnie was very good, allowing just 2 total pressures in 35 drop backs. He was bulled by Ayers (Q1, 11:20) to share a pressure with Osemele. He was bulled by Dumervil (Q2, 1:16) for another half pressure, and he was beaten by Dumervil before he picked up a big assist from Osemele on the F-Bomb (Q4, 0:41). Scoring: 74 plays, 59 blocks, 12 missed, 2 pressures, 55 points (.74 per play). That’s a C+ with an adjustment for Dumervil (his primary assignment).


http://russellstreetreport.com/filmstudy-offensive-line-model-notes-vs-patriots-12013/

Quote:
McKinnie: Bryant had a solid run-blocking game with some push and 8 blocks in level 2, but allowed 4 pressure events to the pass rush of Rob Ninkovich. He was bulled by Ninkovich who then slipped off inside for a 4-yard sack (Q2, 3:10). He allowed a pressure when he gave too much ground to Ninkovich (Q4, 11:54). He again gave up too much ground on the 2nd sack of Flacco (Q4, 8:27) which forced Flacco up in the pocket. He shared that sack with Osemele. Scoring: 61 blocks, 4 missed, 2 pressures, 1.5 sacks, 48 points (.70 per play). With an adjustment for the quality of his run blocking that’s a C.


http://russellstreetreport.com/filmstudy-offensive-line-model-notes-super-bowl-xlvii/

Quote:
McKinnie: Bryant had a big brain fart when he blocked inside rather than pick up Brooks on his sack (Q3, 6:27) He surrendered a pressure to Brooks on a bull (Q1, 10:42), failed to block Aldon Smith (Q1, 1:06) to allow a pressure, and was beaten inside by Sopoaga (Q1, 8:10) for another pressure. While he also accumulated 8 missed blocks, he and Osemele did a decent job picking up T-E stunts from the 49ers and Aldon Smith had a relatively quiet night (1 QH, 1 pressure). Scoring: 56 blocks, 8 missed, 3 pressures, 2/3 sack, 46 points (.68 per play). Considering the fact he was bailed out on 1/3 of a sack against the bonus for his work on Aldon Smith, that’s a C-.


I don't think McKinnie was all that impressive and the notion that he himself was one of the most important factors of the playoff run is laughable. The entire OL stepped up it's performance. McKinnie didn't just come in and dominate. I think that the chemistry from that alignment had more to do with it than anything else. Osemele is clearly better/more comfortable at LG and the interior of the OL performed the best I've seen since the Gaither/Grubbs days. I'm liking Osemele better than Grubbs too since he actually stands his ground and/or gets a push in the running game.

Oher was his usual meh/above meh self outside of stonewalling Von Miller. I think he's about the same on either side of the line although I would really like to see what he can do at LT with Osemele next to him at LG. Plug in Reid at RT and I think that's what the OL will look like next year with Gradkowski taking over at C if Birk is cut or retires. Harewood would be retained as the primary backup at G and the team has to bring in another T (probably a cheap veteran or developmental prospect at LT) and a cheap veteran at C to fill out the depth. If they have/want to bring him back I hope they don't waste any cap space on signing McKinnie to a deal that's significantly more than the veterans minimum. A deal like what Birk got wouldn't be bad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 7616
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I post a lot of RusselStreetReport links but I really like the content from Brian McFarland (cap guru) and Ken McKusick (performance reviews). With that being said here's McFarland's piece about the differences between the exclusive and non-exclusive franchise tags:

http://russellstreetreport.com/whats-the-difference-between-exclusive-non-exclusive-franchise-tags/

Quote:
The non-exclusive Tag is a one-year contract that is the average of the top five players at the position over the prior five years. For 2013, the non-exclusive Tag for Quarterbacks has tentatively been set at $14.6M.


Quote:
The exclusive tag is a one-year contract that is the average of the top five QB salaries for this year, at the end of the RFA signing period (which is usually five days before the NFL draft, so this year, April 19th). At this point, the exclusive Franchise Tag is expected to be over $20M. With a very tight Cap already, that is going to be a tall assignment for the Ravens and may force the team to release several players they would otherwise prefer to keep.


This is the most important piece of information in my opinion:

Quote:
More importantly, the second factor that somewhat minimizes the use of the exclusive Tag is that since the amount of the exclusive Tag isn’t determined until April 19th, the league’s CBA dictates that Flacco’s initial Franchise tender will actually be the same amount as the non-exclusive tender – $14.6M. So, the team could designate Flacco with the exclusive tender by March 4th, but would only have Flacco counting as $14.6M toward the Cap until April 19th. So, it wouldn’t be until April 19th that they would finally need to create the additional $5-6M in Cap space to accommodate the exclusive Tag amount.


Before that last paragraph he was talking about how some of the QBs with the top 5 highest salaries might do a restructure so that would drive down the tag's amount a little bit. There's a lot more in the article as well and I highly recommend reading it.

With that last quoted paragraph in mind I think it's extremely likely Flacco gets designated with the exclusive franchise tag if he doesn't get a new deal in the next couple of weeks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 8 of 43

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group