Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

KK's 2013 Baltimore Ravens Pre-Combine Mock/Off-Season
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
I'll be honest, I'll be pissed if the Ravens draft a receiver in the first three rounds.

Just don't think it's necessary at all, and even if he's BPA, it would be a bad call considering where all of the team's weaknesses lie.

I think in this scenario where the team gets rid of Jacoby Jones, going WR would make a lot of sense. That position already lacks consistent high level play. Remove Jones and now we lack that second big play threat as well as Jones additions on special teams. So we'd need to make up for that on offense with increased talent.

Even if Jones goes, the Ravens are still heavily loaded at WR. If they subsequently cut David Reed, LaQuan Williams and Deonte Thompson, then I could see a reason for going after a receiver in the draft. But it would seem hasty to get rid of all of those guys without giving them a chance to earn roster spots in training camp.

I think Doss can be a good receiver, he just needs more playing time. Not so sure about Williams, Thompson or Streeter, but I'd like to see what they can do. Reed's probably a goner.

Regarding the rest of this draft, one idea I like a lot is getting Kyle Juszczyk in the sixth round. Not that I really know anything about him, but FBs are not going to be at a premium, and this would be a great way for the Ravens to make a late round pick really count. If this kid can do half the job that Vonta Leach can, he'd end up being a successful pick.

It does seem that Doss was getting more playing time at the end of the year and in the playoffs.

Yeah, I thought he did okay in those outings. Got his first TD against Houston, and seemed to run good routes in other games. His hands let him down a couple of times against Denver (I think), but he was in the right place and just seemed to misjudge the ball.

He might not be the deep threat that Jacoby is, but I think he could be a solid possession receiver. Deonte Thompson, however, is very much a deep threat player. With this sort of talent (not top level, but there's potential and ability there), I think the Ravens could focus on a 'greater than the sum of its parts' passing offense next season.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:

Yeah, I thought he did okay in those outings. Got his first TD against Houston, and seemed to run good routes in other games. His hands let him down a couple of times against Denver (I think), but he was in the right place and just seemed to misjudge the ball.

He might not be the deep threat that Jacoby is, but I think he could be a solid possession receiver. Deonte Thompson, however, is very much a deep threat player. With this sort of talent (not top level, but there's potential and ability there), I think the Ravens could focus on a 'greater than the sum of its parts' passing offense next season.

There's a reason why Deonte Thompson went undrafted and Tommy Streeter fell to the 6th round. Thompson struggled with his hands at the collegiate level and Streeter lacks the necessary burst to effectively use his speed to consistently get deep. Streeter also struggles with his hands.

Jacoby has always been able to get behind defenses and be in positions to make plays, but in Houston, he just didn't make those plays. So Jacoby brought production and experience to the role last season. These other guys that you mentioned are depth guys, these aren't receivers that you stick out on the field and know they can produce. Furthermore, who else is going to be our outside speed threat? We'd have Torrey and no one else. Say he goes down, now what? We'd have no other deep threats on the roster that we can trust. Hopkins would give us another speed demon... and that's an important aspect of our offense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: