Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Frazier Forever Friends
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[UMN]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why teams give long term contracts to coaches or extend them when they still have a year or two left. Its not like they are just going to decide to move to a different team when they become a "free agent". And those contracts are fully guaranteed. Just doesn't make any sense to me.
PurpleNation22

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ I agree with that.

Also, Childress started the team his first year going 6-10, then 8-8, then 10-6, then 12-4. A large part due to Favre, but then he dropped off. I'd like to see Frazier coach these next two seasons well before we give him a good long term deal.

If we lock a coach up too early, we can lose others that we might have in the system that could be great coaches.. See Mike Tomlin. I'm still bitter about that. Sad
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that its been clarified that the team simply picked up Frazier's 2014 option, I don't mind the move as much as originally thought.

It gives the team more stability, but also gives the franchise some wiggle room if things go bad.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
I don't understand why teams give long term contracts to coaches or extend them when they still have a year or two left. Its not like they are just going to decide to move to a different team when they become a "free agent". And those contracts are fully guaranteed. Just doesn't make any sense to me.

I disagree with this slightly but their is a reason for it.
I would prefer members of my top management not playing as a pending UFA. Now I'm not saying I want long term deals, but if he is doing a very reasonable job and your happy with him I like the 2 year window

If Frazier was signed only thru 2013-2014, its natural that his potential motivations may change. Maybe the coach changes from a longterm thinking to a shortterm thinking, since he doesnt have a contract the following year.

2 year window keeps coach focused on the future as he knows he has a future with the team.

Last edited by CriminalMind on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frazier first, then Loadholt.

we'll start seeing the contract moves soon, i'd wager.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
skywindO2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
PrplChilPill wrote:
Congrats.

I think extending someone after 1 good year is a bad decision in general. Most people on this board ripped on those of us that said that about the Childress extension. All I want is more than 1 good year before extending someone.

If they simply are picking an option on the 2014 season, its essentially a two year deal. Hardly a long-term extension.

Strib today reported that a long-term extension isn't even in the works. Confused me because it seemed to contradict the news from yesterday. This clears it up.

I'm glad to hear it isn't a full extension. While I'm happy with what Frazier has done, it's still too early for it IMO. I'm only cautiously optimistic about Frazier going forward. He still has a lot to prove.

Also, Childress was extended mid 2009 so he 1 and a half good seasons and the team had shown steady improvement over his 4 seasons as head coach. Pretty big difference here with Frazier, although not to say that the Childress extension was warranted either.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つZIMMER༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frazier's deal was guaranteed through the 2013 season, and the team had not revealed the coach had an option year until it announced Wednesday the decision to exercise it. According to Frazier's agent, Bob LaMonte, that move was made without any discussion of a new deal. But that decision, Spielman said, does not indicate lukewarm feelings about Frazier.

Spielman: "No. Not with Leslie Frazier. I don't want to put words (in his mouth), but Leslie Frazier, you know what type of character (he has) and what type of person he is and what he stands for. There's no question of the support that our ownership group, myself and I think our whole organization has for Leslie. Leslie Frazier is a very good head football coach in the National Football League, and I look for him to be leading this team into the future."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22599305/vikings-gm-trade-percy-harvin-no-support-leslie

Webmaster wrote:
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:

Its all about relationship building and security with the owner. A coach very well could very well leave at the end of there deal if they feel the owner is taking care of there best long-term interests. Its a security thing, for both sides.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frazier finds himself in the same spot now as he did this time last year -- on the hot seat. He either wins a meaningful number of games again in 2013 and receives an extension, or he probably will be fired.

Regardless of what they say publicly, the Vikings' actions demonstrated that they still are not convinced Frazier is their long-term answer as coach. By declining to discuss an extension with Frazier or his agent, Vikings owners basically said, Nice job, Les. Now prove that 2012 wasn't a fluke and then we'll talk.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/192619281.html

Webmaster wrote:
Freakout

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure it rubbed Leslie the wrong way but I consider this growth from the front office. You just cannot overlook the 3-13 season. It happened and 10-6 doesn't erase it. We do need to see more from Leslie and this team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: