Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

AAA's Mock Offseason v1.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mke1010


Joined: 08 Mar 2008
Posts: 1688
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
mke1010 wrote:
We can agree to disagree.
Within a couple months, we will all know the direction the Broncos take in free agency. At that time, it will be clear which vision is proven correct.
I am willing to bet anything the Broncos are not going to seriously go after Revis despite all the rumors. We are going to draft for talent and supplement with cheap veteran free agents.


That won't prove who is correct, lol. Based off of what i have read is all AAA is saying is that Denver can go after Revis, afford it, and not be significantly sacrificing the future of the Denver Broncos.


Proven corrrect in that unlike AAA I don't think the Broncos are seriously considering going after Revis. Proven correct in that throwing such obscene cash to Revis goes against the blue print layed out by Elway when he took the job and I don't see him going against his own plan. Proven correct in that AAA thinks it is a real possibility Revis could end up in Denver while I think it is a non-starter.

While I agree with AAA that we could fit Revis under our present cap, I disagree in that I think the long term impact would be damaging to our salary cap. Cheers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
germ-x


Joined: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 7590
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
germ-x wrote:
mke1010 wrote:
We can agree to disagree.
Within a couple months, we will all know the direction the Broncos take in free agency. At that time, it will be clear which vision is proven correct.
I am willing to bet anything the Broncos are not going to seriously go after Revis despite all the rumors. We are going to draft for talent and supplement with cheap veteran free agents.


That won't prove who is correct, lol. Based off of what i have read is all AAA is saying is that Denver can go after Revis, afford it, and not be significantly sacrificing the future of the Denver Broncos.


Proven corrrect in that unlike AAA I don't think the Broncos are seriously considering going after Revis.


Even if Denver doesn't get him, that wouldn't prove whether or not Denver is seriously considering him

mke1010 wrote:
Proven correct in that throwing such obscene cash to Revis goes against the blue print layed out by Elway when he took the job and I don't see him going against his own plan.


I don't recall throwing or not throwing cash around as being one of Elway's blue prints. I do recall building through the draft as being a blue print of Elway's, but giving away a 1st+ in a single draft or stretched between 2 drafts as going against that blue print. Denver would still have enough picks that if used correctly would suffice.

mke1010 wrote:
Proven correct in that AAA thinks it is a real possibility Revis could end up in Denver while I think it is a non-starter.


Again, whether he ends up in Denver or not doesn't really prove you are correct. This isn't Madden where a team can make any trade they want. Denver could very well want Revis and think it is a real possibility he ends up in Denver and still miss out on him for a number of reasons. Maybe the Jets balk at moving a premier CB, or maybe Denver is out bid. Claiming you are correct based simply off of whether he ends up here or not is, well, just easy because common sense tells anyone there is better chance he doesn't regardless of how much Denver wants him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mke1010


Joined: 08 Mar 2008
Posts: 1688
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denver could come out and explicitly state it is not interested in acquiring Revis. I am pretty sure that would suffice.
Secondly, giving up a 1st round pick and possible conditional picks would definitely be going against the blue print. Stacking drafts upon drafts is not potentially giving up multiple picks for another team's veteran player who is approaching 30 years.

And not spending obscene amounts of money on free agents/trades is implicit in the plan to build through the draft while supplementing via cheap veteran free agents.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
germ-x


Joined: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 7590
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
Denver could come out and explicitly state it is not interested in acquiring Revis.


Sure they could. I guess if they state that you could say you are correct.

mke1010 wrote:
Secondly, giving up a 1st round pick and possible conditional picks would definitely be going against the blue print. Stacking drafts upon drafts is not potentially giving up multiple picks for another team's veteran player who is approaching 30 years.


I still don't see that as going against the blue print. Denver could give up multiple 1st's and then some to trade into the top 10 to draft a player...wouldn't that be going against the blue print too?

mke1010 wrote:
And not spending obscene amounts of money on free agents/trades is implicit in the plan to build through the draft while supplementing via cheap veteran free agents.


I've never seen Elway say as much neve rmind that spending money in FA or trades and building through the draft don't go hand in hand.

Though it is clear that you don't want to look at the issue and therefore can't be reasoned with.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mke1010


Joined: 08 Mar 2008
Posts: 1688
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem in looking at the issue. Why would you think that?

I am not sure I understand your point. If Elway decided to give up multiple picks to get a top 10 player in the draft, I would be surprised but I dont see how that would be going against the plan.
In this instance he would be getting a 22 or 23 year old player with a manageable salary locked in for years.
That would still fit the profile of finding young, productive , home grown, relatively inexpensive players.

On the other hand, spending multiple draft picks on a player who is coming off injury, is almost 30 years and would cost a ton of money would seem to be very much different from the scenario you described above.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
germ-x


Joined: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 7590
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
I have no problem in looking at the issue. Why would you think that?

I am not sure I understand your point. If Elway decided to give up multiple picks to get a top 10 player in the draft, I would be surprised but I dont see how that would be going against the plan.
In this instance he would be getting a 22 or 23 year old player with a manageable salary locked in for years.
That would still fit the profile of finding young, productive , home grown, relatively inexpensive players.

On the other hand, spending multiple draft picks on a player who is coming off injury, is almost 30 years and would cost a ton of money would seem to be very much different from the scenario you described above.


I just feel that you are looking at the issue as either black OR white when it isn't or doesn't need to be viewed as such. It appears you aren't taking anything else into consideration, such as contract length, hitting on the selected prospects, the strengths/weaknesses of the draft, or the FO's targets as needs for the franchise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AnAngryAmerican


Moderator
Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 18242
Location: Loveland, CO
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
We can agree to disagree.

No we can't agree to disagree because you are wrong.

Let's take a look at what you said and to what I responded.

mke1010 wrote:
AAA- Money is not an issue with signing Revis? Are you kidding me? Paying a free agent corner 15 plus million per season when we have guys like Clady, Von Miller, DT, Decker, Harris etc who will be demanding market value contracts soon is a recipe for disaster.

Not to mention the fact we already have big bucks tied up in Manning, Elvis, Champ and soon to be Clady. You add Revis to that and you have 5 guys taking up more than half the salary cap on a 53 man squad.

The Broncos cannot afford to go after Revis unless it means cutting either Dumervil or Champ. Money is definitely an issue. Cheers.

Those statements are factually incorrect. As I outlined, we can afford to extend Revis without having to release Champ or Dumervil, without putting ourselves in salary cap hell and without sacrificing our future ability to extend Von, Clady, Thomas, etc.

In both 2012 and 2013 the Broncos spent close to 50% of the allotted salary cap space on their top-5 paid players. The Giants, Steelers, Falcons and Patriots - perennial contenders who I think everyone would acknowledge are well-run and well-managed teams - spent ~50% of the $120m salary cap on their top-5 paid players.

If you don't want us to trade for Revis because you think it's better to hold onto our draft pick(s), because of his ACL injury, because you think he's overrated, past his prime or a potential lockerroom cancer, that's fine. If you don't think the Jets will part with him for a reasonable price, that's fine too. If you think #28 this year and a 2014 conditional 2nd/3rd is too steep of a price, that's a reasonable opinion. I would respect any of these lines of thinking, even I don't agree with all or some of them. But saying we can't/won't trade for Revis only because of money is patently false.
_________________
big_palooka:

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Broncos7


Joined: 14 Jan 2013
Posts: 5
Location: Lobo Land
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to have Revis in Denver orange next year. I remember what it was like when Champ first came to the Broncos, he brought energy and style to the defense. This would be a huge move for Denver, I hope it can be done. The only problem I see is what number he will wear for the Broncos Very Happy

Nice Mock!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mke1010


Joined: 08 Mar 2008
Posts: 1688
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will borrow the words of Amin Elhassan and that will be all I have to say on this matter until after free agency:

I always marveled at a phenomenon I like to call the "ecstasy of gold" -- borrowed from the old Westerns where men searching for gold will often turn on each other as they get closer to it
. Teams that get close enough to a championship often make irrational decisions, going against their principles and fiscal responsibilities in an effort to capture the ultimate prize. It is a dangerous game, as going all-in for a trade may actually hasten the closing of the contention window.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group