Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Greg Jennings: 'I wouldn't mind' joining Dolphins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think JP will bring in two players to help Tanney (but Reggie is leaving) so I see in truth only one player coming in, if they resign Hartline he will count as a play maker, If we fail to grab a FA WR (which is a possiblity) cause as it was said, Wallace will want a ton of cash (Ireland is not big on openning the check book) Jennings is talking like he wants to come to Miami but remains to be seen. So I see them grabbing a good WR in the draft (or what they see as a good WR) and possible a TE in the draft Like\

Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford
Height: 6-6. Weight: 249.

Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame
Height: 6-6. Weight: 251

Jordan Reed, TE, Florida
Height: 6-3. Weight: 240.

All had around 50 catches last season for 600-900 yards. Just my thought aka the back-up plan

Adopt a Phins 2014, 1st Pick Ryan Tannehill
Tannehill (2014 Season stats Week-Cool
60.8% CMP - 1133 yards -8 TD's - 5 INT's - 81.2 Rat
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUG wrote:
fishfan4life wrote:
I will not be disapointed at all if we do not sign a WR in free agency. The only guy I want is wallace and we will have to over pay to get him. I would however be upset if we didnt draft 2 playmakers with in our first 4 picks

I am quite confident that Philbin will have added at least 2 Playmakers by draft or FA.

If anyone understands the value of a multifaceted aerial attack it's Joe Philbin.
It's just a question of whom & how much. Personally I'd prefer Wallace over Jennings from
a youth & dynamics standpoint.

The one thing I'm not sure of is if he's willing come and be a guy who "can handle not being #1". Can he accept that the philosophy is "ball distribution"...?

See that's the thing, Jennings is mature & understands what the expectation is given how the Off works.

sug
I agree with everything pretty much you just said and thats why I wont fly off the handle if it doesnt get done in free agency and prefer it to happen in the draft but early in the draft 2 of the first 4 picks. I think Wallace is ok with sharing the load he did it with brown miller. Wallace to me is more then just a speed guy he owns crossing routes slants and bubble screens now and he is a touchdown maker. Jennings I am ok with if he is here or isnt I do like the idea of him being a mentor and bridging the gap with a young reciever but at the same time bess hartline jennings still doesnt offer much speed to the offense and really still only one guy on the team offers touchdowns and even that jennings touchdowns go down every year.If no wallace I would love any combo of Ertz and Woods or austin, or eifert hopkins or wheaton, or terrence williams and patton etc etc.To me if they want jennings then say goodbye to hartline and draft speed or if they decide hartline then pass on jennings.
SUG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
SUG wrote:
fishfan4life wrote:
I will not be disapointed at all if we do not sign a WR in free agency. The only guy I want is wallace and we will have to over pay to get him. I would however be upset if we didnt draft 2 playmakers with in our first 4 picks

I am quite confident that Philbin will have added at least 2 Playmakers by draft or FA.

If anyone understands the value of a multifaceted aerial attack it's Joe Philbin.
It's just a question of whom & how much. Personally I'd prefer Wallace over Jennings from
a youth & dynamics standpoint.

The one thing I'm not sure of is if he's willing come and be a guy who "can handle not being #1". Can he accept that the philosophy is "ball distribution"...?

See that's the thing, Jennings is mature & understands what the expectation is given how the Off works.

sug
I agree with everything pretty much you just said and thats why I wont fly off the handle if it doesnt get done in free agency and prefer it to happen in the draft but early in the draft 2 of the first 4 picks. I think Wallace is ok with sharing the load he did it with brown miller. Wallace to me is more then just a speed guy he owns crossing routes slants and bubble screens now and he is a touchdown maker. Jennings I am ok with if he is here or isnt I do like the idea of him being a mentor and bridging the gap with a young reciever but at the same time bess hartline jennings still doesnt offer much speed to the offense and really still only one guy on the team offers touchdowns and even that jennings touchdowns go down every year.If no wallace I would love any combo of Ertz and Woods or austin, or eifert hopkins or wheaton, or terrence williams and patton etc etc.To me if they want jennings then say goodbye to hartline and draft speed or if they decide hartline then pass on jennings.

Man Hartline ain't goin anywhere due to simple math.
Fact is we are in need of 2 - 3 WRs in Mia if you take into account the fact that
Bess doesn't really fit the WC Off.
Yes he contributes but he will never "sell the deep route" like Hartline.
If we loose Hartline it wont make that much of a difference getting 1 STUD FA.
He's a vet, knows the playbook, he's a solid #2, great hands, clean on/off the field.

But like you I'm OK drafting a TE then a WR. Smile

sug

Last edited by SUG on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
freak_of_nature

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparing the Jennings situation to the Flynn situation is asinine.

Flynn was a completely unproven QB, and Jennings is a fully proven WR.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freak_of_nature wrote:

Exactly...

Flynn started one game....one game and thought he deserved a large contract....Philbin were willing to give him a shot, but not at the money he asked for...Smart move in the end.

Jennings has 7 seasons of starting in the NFL and has proven to be one of the better WR in the NFL.

The only thing the two situations have in common is the fact they are player who played for Philbin...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
freak_of_nature wrote:

Exactly...

Flynn started one game....one game and thought he deserved a large contract....Philbin were willing to give him a shot, but not at the money he asked for...Smart move in the end.

Jennings has 7 seasons of starting in the NFL and has proven to be one of the better WR in the NFL.

The only thing the two situations have in common is the fact they are player who played for Philbin...
Not one person in here is comparing jennings to flynn as a player or ability or there accomplishments as a player in this league. It was in regards to the media connecting dots of the players destination. Meaning fans and media had flynn linked to miami because of Philpin and it never happened and the same thing is happening with jennings. I am not sure how you even came up with that, it was posted in regard to jennings flirts with miami article. I am alot smarter then that and thought you were to in regards to following along with the post's in the thread. Thanks for letting me know jennings is a better player
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
freak_of_nature wrote:

Exactly...

Not one person in here is comparing jennings to flynn as a player or ability it was in regards to the media connecting dots of the players destination. Meaning fans and media had flynn linked to miami because of Philpin and it never happened and the same thing is happening with jennings. The mere fact that thats what you got out of that comment is mind blowing trust me I am alot smarter then that and hope you were smart enough to follow along with the posts in the thread.

I wasn't the thread, but the fact the two are even in the same conversation (beyond the thread into the "real" media)...this team had no real intention to bring in a Free Agent QB not named Manning...they courted Flynn because he knew the offense...but never saw him as a starter. In fact once the missed on Manning the sole focus went to acquiring a QB in the draft that could learn behind Moore who had a very strong end of the year.

Jennings is available as a position of need that the team is actively seeking in the off-season (granted they actively sought Manning, but that was a pipe dream at best) as the team is going to need to add at least 2 receivers. Guys who can score (Jennings does score touchdowns)...and taking a chance on a proven player is less risky then a QB who started one game.

Many thought that Matt Moore could possibly be this team's QB...no one thinks this team can go forward with the WR core they have now. This is the biggest difference....QB was a desire...A guy Philbin and McCarthy can groom, WR on the other hand is a need in order to help the QB make it to the next level. This is the difference and why they should not be mentioned together or linked....Jennings offers a significant upgrade over the WR this team currently has (why I alluded to the stats)....Flynn did not offers a significant upgrade over Moore (why I alluded to his one game).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
fishfan4life wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
freak_of_nature wrote:

Exactly...

Not one person in here is comparing jennings to flynn as a player or ability it was in regards to the media connecting dots of the players destination. Meaning fans and media had flynn linked to miami because of Philpin and it never happened and the same thing is happening with jennings. The mere fact that thats what you got out of that comment is mind blowing trust me I am alot smarter then that and hope you were smart enough to follow along with the posts in the thread.

I wasn't the thread, but the fact the two are even in the same conversation (beyond the thread into the "real" media)...this team had no real intention to bring in a Free Agent QB not named Manning...they courted Flynn because he knew the offense...but never saw him as a starter. In fact once the missed on Manning the sole focus went to acquiring a QB in the draft that could learn behind Moore who had a very strong end of the year.

Jennings is available as a position of need that the team is actively seeking in the off-season (granted they actively sought Manning, but that was a pipe dream at best) as the team is going to need to add at least 2 receivers. Guys who can score (Jennings does score touchdowns)...and taking a chance on a proven player is less risky then a QB who started one game.

Many thought that Matt Moore could possibly be this team's QB...no one thinks this team can go forward with the WR core they have now. This is the biggest difference....QB was a desire...A guy Philbin and McCarthy can groom, WR on the other hand is a need in order to help the QB make it to the next level. This is the difference and why they should not be mentioned together or linked....Jennings offers a significant upgrade over the WR this team currently has (why I alluded to the stats)....Flynn did not offers a significant upgrade over Moore (why I alluded to his one game).
I am well aware of why Flynn was not signed and to be honest it has nothing to do with the contexts of the post and the reason Flynn and jennings were in the same convo has everything to do with the Philpin connection and how the media and some fans connect the dots as if its a given he is coming. I am still humored by the fact that freak of nature or perhaps you turned it into that I was comparing jennings to flynn as a player especially if you followed and read the posts in and how they followed with the thread. Also you can not spin it that the media and fan base didnt have flynn coming to Miami as a lock last year. I like jennings and am ok with it if he is signed here. Once again this has nothing to do with why or what Miami front office is feeling or team needs etc etc bud. I made a comment regarding a article and followed a poster who said dont count your chickens before they hatch type comment regarding jennings and I said yeah the same way some in the media did with flynn. How someone took that as jennings is this or that compared to flynn as a player or that I said he was is comical.
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Miami signs this guy it will be the worst signing in two years. Its one thing if we lose Hartline and you sign him and another WR but this guy is not reliable. He is broken down and Jennings is not a #1 WR. You can make the arguement he never was the #1. He shared the top spot with Driver for many years.
skatewood2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
If Miami signs this guy it will be the worst signing in two years. Its one thing if we lose Hartline and you sign him and another WR but this guy is not reliable. He is broken down and Jennings is not a #1 WR. You can make the arguement he never was the #1. He shared the top spot with Driver for many years.

Ovaw,
Do you think it would be a good pickup if we signed a #1 WR in the draft and moved Hartline to the slot? If so, who is that #1 WR in the draft we can look at?

NFL - Miami Dolphins
College - THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:

I don't know if I would go as far as to say he is broken down, but I see where you are coming from.

I think Dolphinologist mentioned being cautious about WR who have played with HoF QB's and Jennings does fit the idea (Favre and Rodgers), but I do think he can be a very good mentor for young WRs and a young QB, but his asking price for that role will be far too high.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatewood2 wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:

Ovaw,
Do you think it would be a good pickup if we signed a #1 WR in the draft and moved Hartline to the slot? If so, who is that #1 WR in the draft we can look at?

Quinton Patton and Justin Hunter

UniversalAuthor
SUG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatewood2 wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:

Ovaw,

Howdy Skate
If I may interject here, the notion of designating any WR as a "Slot WR" works against the concept of
what Philbin did so well in GB.

One of the West Coasts biggest conceptual weapons against a Deff is the fact that all 3 WRs be "interchangeable".
In the near future Devon Bess will not even be with us because he's a 1 dimensional WR.

As a play gets called in the huddle every WR has a route.
1 WRs route could be short to intermediate while the other 2 may go deep.
If during the the pre snap read the QB Audibles the exact opposite because he sees a
"miss match" the intermediate to short WR may be required to run "the deep route".

Therefore you need 3 WRs that can run quality routes short, intermediate & deep.
This is where Hartline excels, he may not be the most imposing physical brute thats gonna run over
2 DBs but he can run every single route well.

Meaning there should not be a "dedicated slot WR", there should be 3 quality WRs & it's up to
the Deff to try to figure out which one is going deep & which is the safety valve route.

sug
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatewood2 wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:

Ovaw,

I honestly do not know if there are any true #1 WR's in this draft. What I do know is there are good one's who may mature into productive ones. I really like Keenan Allen WR California over any other receiver. I like his speed and his ability to change direction and catch the ball. I also like Tavon Austin but he isnt a WR you line up on every play.

Hartline is not a slot receiver. Bess is the slot receiver, so Miami needs a receivers with different skillsets. Bess is sure handed, moderate speed, runs good routes and has decent quickness. Miami needs speed. Hartline has decent speed but not the kind that threatens defenses. He is a good #2. I love Keenan Allen from California.
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you guys aren't paying attention to is the fact the WCO doesn't focus on a #1 wr. They focus on spreading the ball around. You need guys that can run routes, catch with their hands, and make plays with the ball in their hands.

UniversalAuthor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: