Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the need of picks: trade back and get...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krewebrees

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying that I hope Vilma is still our leader or event on the team this year. If I was Payton I would cut Vilma. But it does seem that based on what Payton has said Vilma will be on the team. I'm not saying that he will even start. Sounds like Payton will probably restructure his contract, but keep him.
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vilma IS our leader though. Like it or not. I want him gone too, but I understand why you'd keep him.

whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
Vilma IS our leader though. Like it or not. I want him gone too, but I understand why you'd keep him.

Vilma was our leader... This entire defense will be going through a culture shock and everyone will be fighting for jobs.

Wanna know who our new leader on defense is, Payton already answered that question... His name is ROB RYAN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:

Vilma was our leader... This entire defense will be going through a culture shock and everyone will be fighting for jobs.

Wanna know who our new leader on defense is, Payton already answered that question... His name is ROB RYAN!

Touché. Cool

jcvoodoo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Vilma never equalled or came close to leadship roles in terms of Mike Singletary, Ray Lewis, Ricky Jackson to name a few.

Sure he provided a good leadership type role in our SB run but alot of our players did that year. If he was in the same league as the players I mentioned in the first paragraph... we would not have had the ABSOLUTE WORST defense in NFL .

Don't misread me here, I admire Vilma for the role he played and stills play for the Saints. I jus wholeheartedly agree with Mr. Worm.... Vilma's time has played out.

^NS922 on the sig^
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcvoodoo wrote:
Jon Vilma never equalled or came close to leadship roles in terms of Mike Singletary, Ray Lewis, Ricky Jackson to name a few.

Sure he provided a good leadership type role in our SB run but alot of our players did that year. If he was in the same league as the players I mentioned in the first paragraph... we would not have had the ABSOLUTE WORST defense in NFL .

Don't misread me here, I admire Vilma for the role he played and stills play for the Saints. I jus wholeheartedly agree with Mr. Worm.... Vilma's time has played out.

I agree too. His time has died out. And I never said he was like Ray Lewis. Not even close. He just WAS our version of him, but, it's time for Lofton to take that role IMO. He is the new leader.

sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big NO to significant restructures this offseason. We need to stop kicking the can down the road with veterans well past their primes.

I don't see any possible way that Smith should be on the team. He simply isn't good enough enough. I think that Tom Johnson may actually be a better backup to Cam Jordan at RDE.

Vilma could be resigned for a low-priced deal...but NOT restructured. In this system he is only fit as a 3-4 SILB. He is NOT a pass rusher. He cannot play WILB (that is traditionally the only position on the front seven that has a 2-gap responsibility). So that leaves him at SILB. Unfortunately for him, Wilson is far more talented and also a better fit at SILB.
Raves

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammymvpknight wrote:
A big NO to significant restructures this offseason. We need to stop kicking the can down the road with veterans well past their primes.

I don't see any possible way that Smith should be on the team. He simply isn't good enough enough. I think that Tom Johnson may actually be a better backup to Cam Jordan at RDE.

Vilma could be resigned for a low-priced deal...but NOT restructured. In this system he is only fit as a 3-4 SILB. He is NOT a pass rusher. He cannot play WILB (that is traditionally the only position on the front seven that has a 2-gap responsibility). So that leaves him at SILB. Unfortunately for him, Wilson is far more talented and also a better fit at SILB.

Well if we don't draft a SOLB, Wilson can more to SOLB with Vilma SILB and Galette at WOLB.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading further into the interview, Payton was asked point blank if this switch meant the end for Vilma in New Orleans and I don't think Payton was prepared to answer that question. He began to say that he "COULD" see a role for Vilma as a WILB, not a Sam or an OLB. Then he went on to explain why that position but he ended the topic once Vilma's cap situation came up.

Here's my take on it...

Sean Payton was saying that sure Vilma could have a role but it would be as a reserve WILB and he would basically have to play for the absolute minimum. Jonathan Vilma would likely have better options out there as a starter in a 43 for more money than the Saints will offer.

I could see Vilma in Tampa, Dallas, NYG or any other 43 defense that could use a veteran inside backer.

I honestly think Payton was hit with a question that out of his respect for Vilma, he answered the best way he could. I do believe that if Vilma agrees to everything the Saints offer (which won't be much) that he will be back but in the end he'll get a better oppertunity and deal elsewhere to end his career.

I wish him well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: