Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

dc20 mock draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcarey20

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: dc20 mock draft Reply with quote

Offseason moves

We find ways to keep Reed, Ellerbe, and Boldin. Bryant McKinnie comes back as well. Cary and Kruger are obviously gone. Cut Jameel McClain.

Draft

1st round - John Jenkins, DT, Georgia

All the talk for us is about a first round ILB, and that's fair. If we go that way, I like Teo. I know some like Minter. The more I think about it though, I think nose tackle could be our top priority, especially if we can re-sign Ellerbe. Ozzie has already eluded to getting stronger in the middle. Kemo should be gone, and Cody hasn't panned out. Jenkins, to me, is what we hoped Cody could be and then some. 360 lbs, and somebody who is capable of playing more downs than Cody and being effective.

2nd round - Kyle Long, OT, Oregon

Even with McKinnie back, we've got to look for a guy who can potentially be our left tackle of the future (not to mention that Oher is a FA after next season as well, so depth at T in general is important). Also I don't particularly like any inside linebacker in the late 2nd, so we wait a round or two longer to go there.

Long is a raw prospect who played baseball before going to Oregon, and didn't really see PT until last season. But he's got size, athleticism, and overall just a bunch of potential. With McKinnie manning LT for the next year at least, Long can sit and develop and then step in when the time is right.

3rd round - Nico Johnson, ILB, Alabama

I've read some on here that aren't fans of Johnson, I actually think he's a really nice fit for us if we can get him in the middle of draft. I think he's going to perform well at the combine as well. People can talk about Johnson not developing the way they thought, but he's got nice athleticism, good size, and he can stop the run. The run stopping has never been a question with him, and with Ellerbe back, Johnson's a nice guy to plug into the equation at ILB.

We can't dismiss the Alabama connection as we all know how Ozzie feels about Bama products.

4th round - Jon Bostic, ILB, Florida

If we wait till the 3rd to nab our inside backer, then I'd like to draft another to give some competition. Bostic, like Johnson, plays the run fairly well. We go into the year with Ellerbe as the man at one spot, then let the best out of Nico Johnson, Bostic, and Josh Bynes go at it for the other spot.

4th round (comp) - Robert Lester, S, Alabama

5th round - Corey Fuller, WR, Virginia Tech

Hopefully better than the former Raven Corey Fuller (who I completely forgot about until I mocked the V Tech Corey Fuller to us).

5th round (comp) - Stansly Maponga, DE/OLB, TCU

6th round - Sanders Commings, CB/S, Georgia

7th Round - Eric Herman, OG, Ohio
RayBringsPain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best mock yet. Good job
sp6488

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very solid mock. The only thing I'd be disappointed about would be the lack of a top edge threat. I don't know a ton about Maponga, but he seems to have some pass rusher in him. He's a little shorter than I would hope, any insight on his arm length?

I know I've said it before, but I love Ozzie's draft strategy, so I would have no major complaints if we left the draft with this haul. I would just hope we sign some veteran ET off the scrap heap to come in and compete for snaps with Maponga in the situational rusher role if it fell this way. Love the reload on the defensive side of the ball!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not terrible but it's not my favorite either. I've stated before that I hope the Ravens don't go with a NT high in the draft considering their other big needs. Jenkins is an alright value there but I'd rather bet on Cody returning to his 2011-2012 form and address another position.

Long could be a nice pick in the second round. He's a guy I'm iffy on. I have him in somewhat the same boat as Menelik Watson since both are older guys that still have a ways to develop. It should be about the right range for both of them to go in though.

Nico Johnson... ugh.

I like Bostic in the 4th round.

Lester is meh. Like I said in another thread I think the talent around Lester made him look a lot better than he really is/was.

I'm not too familiar with any of the other picks.

Overall it's alright although I'm not very fond of the first three picks. I really hope they address the pass-rush with one of them.
dcarey20

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maponga is definitely a little shorter than you'd like, and that will drop him; but he's got some skills as a pass rusher. He's pretty quick off the snap. I'm not crowning the guy as a big time player right away, but he's a sleeper for me. He

had a down year, but he's shown earlier in his career at TCU that he can get after the quarterback. He's certainly not a guy who should be expected to be an impact pass rusher for us, but I could see him surprising a bit in a defense where he'd be able to compete for depth. I understand the concern about getting another edge rusher, but I'm not sure we can pass on needs at DT, OT, and ILB to go out and get a DE/OLB really early.

As far as Nico, c0 I know you were one of the guys that didn't like him. I knew that was one pick that would some wouldn't like, as I said, and I can appreciate your guys concerns. I actually am pretty high on him because I feel he's a high reward guy for being a 3rd or 4th round pick. And I feel at the VERY least he can be an effective run stopper, which isn't bad if we get Ellerbe back. I know we'd all love 2 studs at ILB, but it's not like we need the next Ray Lewis. That's where the Bostic pick comes in too, he's just another guy to up the competition for that ILB spot. Furthermore, in my mocks I don't only try to put guys I like personally, but more how I feel Ozzie and co. will attack the draft. Alabama guys are always players on my radar for us, would it really surprise you if Johnson is a Raven come draft day?
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to lie...

I dislike this mock.

First we grab a NT... a position that in our scheme is mostly a 2-down player. But not only do we do that, we grab a player who doesn't fit Dean Pees scheme as he's strictly a run stuffer and doesn't offer any pass rush versatility. And John Jenkins isn't even as dominant as Terrence Cody was when he played at that weight. What's going to happen is Jenkins is going to get into an NFL conditioning program and he's going to be asked to drop 20-30 lbs... and he's going to become a much less effective player. Remember Cody's rookie season before he was forced to lose all the weight? Yeah, dude could run stuff with the best of them too. Jenkins is the same kind of player as Cody... only not as good as Cody was coming out. And the fact that we take him in the first round just immediately sours my position on the mock. I'm usually happy with a mock for as long as we can get nice value out of our first pick... and I just feel like Jenkins at NT is one of the worst values we can get out of our first round. Lastly, I think the biggest need along our DL is not simply upgrading the talent but also upgrading the athleticism. Jenkins is not going to help with a guy like CK7 anymore than Cody. He's not what we need at NT IMO, we need more of a quick twitch athlete that we can field in a rotation with Cody and our other NT options. A guy who can also provide some potential 5-tech versatility.

Kyle Long in the 2nd... that's a decent pick. I didn't get a chance to see him at the senior bowl, but I hear that he looked like a nice LG, but struggled at LT. So he probably could offer some swing OT/OG versatility. I'm not the most comfortable with 'potential' guys, but if Ozzie took Long, I'd be really high on that.

Don't like Nico Johnson any. He has athleticism and he's a decent run stopper, but his instincts are average at best. He's like a less explosive, less instinctive Kevin Reddick. Speaking of Reddick he might be available in a similar range and he's actually a very good run stuffer while Johnson is simply above average to good. Ozzie has a preference for great players and goes to his Alma Mater because of their high talent level and pro-readiness. But Johnson isn't a great player nor does he have the instincts of many of the other defenders leaving that team. He's underachieved every year he's been there and this is with pro level coaches and a pro scheme... he isn't going to be any better of a player in the pros. He's just going to look closer to average than he already is IMO.

Jon Bostic is an interesting player. There's still some potential for improvement there looking at him on tape. His instincts aren't bad, pretty good explosive ability, attacks the LOS, but he too often takes bad angles to the ball. He improves his angles and he just might turn out better than his round projection would have one believe.

Robert Lester is a producer. I think he's at worse someone that we can plug into the defense and have him play a Zbikowski type of safety role... someone that can sustain his deep responsibility well and could make a few plays every now and again.

Fuller, not a fan of going a WR there, we have enough late round potential guys on the team. Only way I like taking a WR is if we let go of Boldin/Jones and even then, I'd think it would be a higher round need for us to address or we'd just role with our young 'potential' guys.

Everyone else... not familiar with at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcarey20 wrote:
As far as Nico, c0 I know you were one of the guys that didn't like him. I knew that was one pick that would some wouldn't like, as I said, and I can appreciate your guys concerns. I actually am pretty high on him because I feel he's a high reward guy for being a 3rd or 4th round pick. And I feel at the VERY least he can be an effective run stopper, which isn't bad if we get Ellerbe back. I know we'd all love 2 studs at ILB, but it's not like we need the next Ray Lewis. That's where the Bostic pick comes in too, he's just another guy to up the competition for that ILB spot. Furthermore, in my mocks I don't only try to put guys I like personally, but more how I feel Ozzie and co. will attack the draft. Alabama guys are always players on my radar for us, would it really surprise you if Johnson is a Raven come draft day?

That's not the type of player that Baltimore's defense needs to really take a step forward though. They need a guy that can comfortably play in space. Ellerbe is the stud run-stopper/guy that attacks the LOS and they need a compliment to him not someone with similar strengths and weaknesses. Johnson is athletic and in theory he should be able to do it but that isn't the case. I don't mind waiting until later for the Ravens to address ILB (especially if Ellerbe is back) but they've got to get a player that's actually good and fits

The connection between Newsome and Alabama is overblown, just like how the connection between Baltimore and Miami was in the recent past. Ozzie takes good players regardless of what college they went to. He might get more information on guys that went to Alabama but that means he's getting just as much negative feedback as he is positive. It's not like any of us know how they're going to attack the draft anyways. After last year's small school special it's pretty obvious Ozzie is going to do what Ozzie is going to do lol. I'm still kind of surprised how that worked out after Upshaw.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: