Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Roman, Vangio, Gamble, Seely, Tomsula, Donatell...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help but laugh at Fangio here. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Gamble-Named-VP-Of-Player-Personnel/9921af7f-5c8d-4e70-8518-4797f03f3b2f

Quote:
The Philadelphia Eagles have hired Tom Gamble to become the team’s Vice President of Player Personnel. In this role, Gamble will report directly to General Manager Howie Roseman and work in both the college and pro personnel departments.

NFL people on twitter say this is a really good move. What can you tell us about the guy?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleedin_Green36 wrote:
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Gamble-Named-VP-Of-Player-Personnel/9921af7f-5c8d-4e70-8518-4797f03f3b2f

Quote:
The Philadelphia Eagles have hired Tom Gamble to become the team’s Vice President of Player Personnel. In this role, Gamble will report directly to General Manager Howie Roseman and work in both the college and pro personnel departments.

NFL people on twitter say this is a really good move. What can you tell us about the guy?

I don't get why Gamble would take that job, seeing how he's in line for a GM job himself. Maybe he's really smart and expect Roseman to be fired at some point. Maybe he's trying to expand his network of contacts by working with a different organization. It's a side step for him, as he has been director of personnel for 8 years with us... just odd...

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Bleedin_Green36

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
Bleedin_Green36 wrote:

Quote:

I don't get why Gamble would take that job, seeing how he's in line for a GM job himself. Maybe he's really smart and expect Roseman to be fired at some point. Maybe he's trying to expand his network of contacts by working with a different organization. It's a side step for him, as he has been director of personnel for 8 years with us... just odd...

Well from reports, him and Howie are really good friends. Or maybe he has more input and responsibility with us? Or maybe it's just a pay raise, who knows.

Quote:
Howie said Tom Gamble will be involved in pro scouting, college scouting and free agency. Every facet of personnel.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that sucks....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleedin_Green36 wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
Bleedin_Green36 wrote:

Quote:

Well from reports, him and Howie are really good friends. Or maybe he has more input and responsibility with us? Or maybe it's just a pay raise, who knows.

Quote:
Howie said Tom Gamble will be involved in pro scouting, college scouting and free agency. Every facet of personnel.

Okay... you guys just got a good football guy.

49ers Finest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this doesnt make sense to me.

like stated above, he could have more responsibility or more money
but he left a top team. and top drafting team???
seems weird.

who takes over?

also eagles are switching to the 34 last i heard. better not steal out guys Evil or Very Mad

new sig... sorry alex
rudyZ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:

seems weird.

who takes over?

also eagles are switching to the 34 last i heard. better not steal out guys Evil or Very Mad

Gamble is from Philly... just wanted to go back home. And a new challenge, perhaps.

Psychlone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:

seems weird.

who takes over?

Gamble is from Philly... just wanted to go back home. And a new challenge, perhaps.
This is what's got me nervous from the first mention of this story...
Quote:
Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks
Eagles name Tom Gamble Vice President of Player Personnel."> very well-respected... Surprised SF let him out before FA/Draft
It's very rare to see a team allow one of their personnel execs to leave during this time of yr. They possess a ton of valuable info

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychlone wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:

seems weird.

who takes over?

This is what's got me nervous from the first mention of this story...
Quote:
Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks
Eagles name Tom Gamble Vice President of Player Personnel."> very well-respected... Surprised SF let him out before FA/Draft
It's very rare to see a team allow one of their personnel execs to leave during this time of yr. They possess a ton of valuable info

Meh.. there's nothing we can do about it. One has to assume all teams have pretty similar info about the big prospects. Maybe Gamble has knowledge of sleepers we had an eye on. But often, these sleepers will be found later, at the combine, or on pro days. So, not really worried.

big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but it's not the information that's important, it's the evaluation of that information and of course the judgement.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Ah, but it's not the information that's important, it's the evaluation of that information and of course the judgement.

How so? Each team drafts according to their needs, their scheme. Whatever Gamble knows isnt really revelant because the Eagles have different schemes on both sides of the ball than we do. Different needs too. Whatever knowledge he takes with him, he would have taken to the Jets if he had become their GM there. I don't see the difference. Plus I doubt Baalke has established his Big Board yet. And we like to bring in potential prospects, interview them, work them out, put them on the chalkboard and talk X's and O's. None of that has happen yet. Its still very early in the draft process and Gamble won't be here for the bulk of the legwork. He won't be here when scouts came back from Pro Days, talking about under the radar guys that impressed them. He won't be here to see how the Combine factors into how much we like this guy over that guy. Just because he knows the type of players we like at certain positions, doesn't mean he knows what direction each pick will go. And whether we're going to be trading up or trading back. Much ado about nothing. You can't really plan what you do on draft day. You watch it unfold, rely on your homework on each prospect and go from there. If you've already planned every move on draft day in February, than your already screwed and your just waiting on the inevitable.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: