Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lets talk about Shariff Floyd DT Florida

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingTitan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Lets talk about Shariff Floyd DT Florida Reply with quote

6'3 303lbs

I am really seeing his name rise. He is being mentioned top 10. Which means he would have to be on our radar for an 1st round pick.

I personally can't find video of him that is so dominating that makes me drool. If anything, I find the opposite. I see him getting stoned and stopped after his first rush move too often.

I don't see an superhuman movement.

I can see potential, but I'm not seeing him as the top 10 pick that some are saying. I think he could be an 1st round pick, but top 10?

What are you guys thoughts?
lamont

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makayla and I are not impressed. Name the last dominant Florida DL that actually played that way in the NFL consistantly not named Kevin Carter or Jevon Kearse. Floyd is no Kevin Carter or Kearse, so I want no part of him at #10.

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
TwoToneBlue

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you 100% KT. I don't see top 10 although I am a YouTube scout only. Lol But honestly there are some good videos that show a lot of plays for different players so I feel you can see a lot. I don't understand this big rise. Seems like a lot of it is around a tweet by one of the nfln guys.

Adopt-A-Titan:
1) Dexter McCluster RB/WR -- 9 CAR 29 YDS, 1 REC 17 YDS
2) Sammie Hill NT -- 2 TCK 1 SCK
TwoToneBlue

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it:

Adopt-A-Titan:
KingTitan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TwoToneBlue wrote:
I'm with you 100% KT. I don't see top 10 although I am a YouTube scout only. Lol But honestly there are some good videos that show a lot of plays for different players so I feel you can see a lot. I don't understand this big rise. Seems like a lot of it is around a tweet by one of the nfln guys.

Yeah that tweet and this:
From Kevin Weidl (Scouts Inc. NFL Scout) on Twitter

Quote:
After watching five game tapes, Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl believes Florida DT Sharrif Floyd has top-10 talent.
Weidl calls Floyd's performance against Florida State a "dominating" one. FLoyd played plenty of snaps at end and tackle in a variety of fronts over the last two years and could end up being the first defensive tackle selected in April, or at least among the top three.

I'm a youtube scout and the videos have gotten better over the years..lol It used to be just highlights but now they show a good chunk of plays and variety, so you can get a good grip on a player. Especially how they move and how they play. So I don't see much from him that makes me jump at wanting him to be a top 10 pick. I know the draft isn't about taking complete players, but i don't see what the big whoop is about him.
TwoToneBlue

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
TwoToneBlue wrote:

Quote:
After watching five game tapes, Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl believes Florida DT Sharrif Floyd has top-10 talent.
Weidl calls Floyd's performance against Florida State a "dominating" one. FLoyd played plenty of snaps at end and tackle in a variety of fronts over the last two years and could end up being the first defensive tackle selected in April, or at least among the top three.

I'm a youtube scout and the videos have gotten better over the years..lol It used to be just highlights but now they show a good chunk of plays and variety, so you can get a good grip on a player. Especially how they move and how they play. So I don't see much from him that makes me jump at wanting him to be a top 10 pick. I know the draft isn't about taking complete players, but i don't see what the big whoop is about him.

Well if he's the first dt taken, I guess we can just take star and run. Lol

Adopt-A-Titan:
lamont

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TwoToneBlue wrote:
KingTitan wrote:
TwoToneBlue wrote:

Quote:

Well if he's the first dt taken, I guess we can just take star and run. Lol

I would take Star over this guy anyday if he is there at #10.

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 3rd ranked DT behind Star and Richardson. Explosive off the snap and very versatile. Reminds me of Muhammed Wilkerson. Needs to work on hand usage and becoming more of a DT. He'd work well with space eater Casey.

Driver of the Brad Kaaya Hype Train
Adopt-A-Titan:
Bishop Sankey
DaQuan Jones
KingTitan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
My 3rd ranked DT behind Star and Richardson. Explosive off the snap and very versatile. Reminds me of Muhammed Wilkerson. Needs to work on hand usage and becoming more of a DT. He'd work well with space eater Casey.

I don't see Wilkerson in him. Wilkerson looked to be a better athlete to me.. better movement skills.

I wouldn't rank Floyd as 3rd best at this point.

1. Star
2. Richardson
3. Jesse Williams
4. Sylvester Williams
5. Shariff Floyd

I actually like Star the most of course and then the two Williams boys as a close 2nd.
TT4Life7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lamont wrote:
Makayla and I are not impressed. Name the last dominant Florida DL that actually played that way in the NFL consistantly not named Kevin Carter or Jevon Kearse. Floyd is no Kevin Carter or Kearse, so I want no part of him at #10.

I'm sorry, but I still don't understand this kind of logic. So a player should not be considered to be a potential star just because of the logo on his helmet?

You see this all the time when people say (especially lately with Barkley), "Never draft a USC quarterback." But why? What do guys like Barkley and Floyd have in common with their predecessors besides their alma mater?

I can understand if the same coaches have been there for years and have not produced any NFL talent at that posistion, but thats never really the case.

Could Floyd be a bust? Absolutely, but should he bust, I can guarantee it won't be because of what school he went too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@ryanlownes: Watched 20 year old #Florida DT Sharrif Floyd until the sun came up this morning. Surprisingly among the most NFL-ready DL in this class.

Quote:
@ryanlownes: I like Sharrif Floyd and believe he's a bona fide top 20 (likely top 15) pick in the upcoming #NFLDraft - but I prefer Sheldon Richardson.

Driver of the Brad Kaaya Hype Train
Adopt-A-Titan:
Bishop Sankey
DaQuan Jones
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT4Life7 wrote:
lamont wrote:

I'm sorry, but I still don't understand this kind of logic. So a player should not be considered to be a potential star just because of the logo on his helmet?

You see this all the time when people say (especially lately with Barkley), "Never draft a USC quarterback." But why? What do guys like Barkley and Floyd have in common with their predecessors besides their alma mater?

I can understand if the same coaches have been there for years and have not produced any NFL talent at that posistion, but thats never really the case.

Could Floyd be a bust? Absolutely, but should he bust, I can guarantee it won't be because of what school he went too.

Could be the way schools coach up there players. The USC QB thing partially hinges from the perceived notion that they are two pampered and spoiled and therefore have a harder time dealing with the hardship of the NFL. Its hard going from being part time football player, part time rock star to the strict, devoted athlete it takes to be successful in the NFL

I think there is some, not alot, but some merit to the theory of not drafting certain positions from certain schools.

**RIP Steve McNair**
KingTitan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:
TT4Life7 wrote:
lamont wrote:

Could be the way schools coach up there players. The USC QB thing partially hinges from the perceived notion that they are two pampered and spoiled and therefore have a harder time dealing with the hardship of the NFL. Its hard going from being part time football player, part time rock star to the strict, devoted athlete it takes to be successful in the NFL

I think there is some, not alot, but some merit to the theory of not drafting certain positions from certain schools.

Texas Longhorns come to mind....

There are some GMs that will not draft players from certain schools, certain coaching staffs. Because they know that they aren't going to be right mentally for the NFL, because of how they were treated and prepared in college.
TT4Life7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
Chocolateman78 wrote:
TT4Life7 wrote:
lamont wrote:

Texas Longhorns come to mind....

There are some GMs that will not draft players from certain schools, certain coaching staffs. Because they know that they aren't going to be right mentally for the NFL, because of how they were treated and prepared in college.

Not drafting players at a specific posistion because of the coaching staff is understandable. Not because of the school itself. HC's (and their staff) are not, for the most part, usually at the same school for years on end. Of course there are the some that are HC's for multiple years, but not alot.

The Longhorns I get. Why? Because the same staff and HC has been there for years. Mack Brown has specific posistions that tend to succeed in the NFL over others (defensive backs, pass rushers). QB is not one of them, but lets say (for arguments sake) he is fired next year and a new brilliant offensive minded coach comes in and has success at the QB posisition. Teams wouldn't draft his players because of Mack Brown's previous tenure and failure in producing NFL QB's?

Its the coaches and their schemes that create (and doom) NFL prospects. Not because of the school. The original argument is that Florida has not had success at producing Defensive linemen in the past few years. How many HC's and posisitional coaches have there been the past few years? Muschamp seems to be a legitimate HC, but because of the school's previous coaches did not produce NFL talent on the defensive line, he won't either? Seems silly and a bit superstitious.

How many great D-Lineman have come from South Carolina recently? Clowney seems to be the next big thing, but because the Game Cocks haven't produced alot of great d-linemen lately he's surely to be a bust right?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what makes a guy like Floyd so valuable is that he has proven he can play basically anywhere on the line. He's lined up at 3-4 DE, 4-3 DT, UT, 3-4 NT in college. Is he an explosive sack machine? No. Is he a versatile player who can play anywhere in a hybrid multiple front scheme? Yes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: