Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers’ secondary was primary reason for playoff collapse
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poster4613

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playoff collapse? Seriously?
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poster4613 wrote:
Playoff collapse? Seriously?

Not my choice of words, just the title of the article. Our secondary was pretty bad down the stretch, and I think it warrants some discussion.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our secondary played very well against the Packers, but got lit up in the 1st half against the Falcons/Ravens.

Culliver will be fine, but his play did fall off late in the season. On a few he got screwed by mis-communication and lack of pass rush. Still, he is much better than that, and I expect him to take his game to another level next season. Remember, this guy was supposed to be a project as he was making the transition from safety to CB.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Our secondary played very well against the Packers, but got lit up in the 1st half against the Falcons/Ravens.

Culliver will be fine, but his play did fall off late in the season. On a few he got screwed by mis-communication and lack of pass rush. Still, he is much better than that, and I expect him to take his game to another level next season. Remember, this guy was supposed to be a project as he was making the transition from safety to CB.

I'm not worried about Cully, I think he'll develop into a fine corner. I'm really worried about Whitner and Rogers though. You'd think for keeping our entire defense in tact that we'd see improvement in the secondary, but it seems like there's more mis-communication than last year.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

I'm not worried about Cully, I think he'll develop into a fine corner. I'm really worried about Whitner and Rogers though. You'd think for keeping our entire defense in tact that we'd see improvement in the secondary, but it seems like there's more mis-communication than last year.

Didn't the pass defense go from the mid-20s to borderline top 5? There WAS improvement in the secondary.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mis-communication between the secondary was the most discouraging thing. That is unacceptable when considering we didn't have many of those during the regular season.

Carlos Rogers in the playoffs was actually fine. He didn't get lit up in any of the games and had good coverage.

Whitner played TERRIBLE against Baltimore but in other games he wasn't that bad in coverage. I know he allowed two TDs against the Packers, but one was at the end to Greg Jennings when he had to cover him for like 7 seconds. The main problem is our red zone defense is too predictable. I remember Eli Manning said they do the same thing and so did a few GB players.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
Didn't the pass defense go from the mid-20s to borderline top 5? There WAS improvement in the secondary.

Exactly, they ranked top 5 in opposing QBs rating, passing yards allowed, and YPA. From our team, they were the biggest improvement from the prior season.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

Exactly, they ranked top 5 in opposing QBs rating, passing yards allowed, and YPA. From our team, they were the biggest improvement from the prior season.

Weren't we ranked 23rd in yards per game?

O-line was our biggest improvement IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

I think the secondary fell apart right when the pass rush did. I mean, the article itself said both Whitner and Cully were playing pretty well for the first 13 games. That's right about when Justin and Aldon both started coming up limping.

A Big Thanks To PatsDynasty21
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:

That's a good one as well, the growth of Davis and addition of Boone made this arguably the best OL in the game.

In total yards per game our offense was ranked #26 last season, while being ranked #11 in PPG. This season we were ranked #11 in PPG and total YPG.

Our pass defense was ranked #16 last season, and #4 this season.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:

That's a good one as well, the growth of Davis and addition of Boone made this arguably the best OL in the game.

In total yards per game our offense was ranked #26 last season, while being ranked #11 in PPG. This season we were ranked #11 in PPG and total YPG.

Our pass defense was ranked #16 last season, and #4 this season.

Gotcha, overreaction on my part then. I'm still confused as to why there's more mis-communication than last year, perhaps QB's just know how to confuse us now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a overreaction, your case was better as we ranked 26th in YPG not 23rd Laughing .

The thing is, the mis-communication just started happening in the postseason. We started allowing TDs in the red zone with a WR running free, and of course allowed two bombs from that as well. I'm not even sure if opposing QBs did anything special, but those were straight blown coverages. Our safeties thinking one thing, while the CBs thinking another. I've just heard teams say we are predictable in the red zone which kind of makes sense. I mean for as good as our defense is, we weren't great in the red zone. Buckled down in the 2nd half vs ATL/BALT though. The Ravens were not on our level in terms of defense, but they were the more resilient group.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

But if you go by turnovers the secondary digressed... 9 INTs this year when we had 20 last year for the guys in the secondary.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we were definitely less opportunistic this season compared to last season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: