Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Minute Mock **VERSION 2 ON PAGE 1**

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minutemancl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Minute Mock **VERSION 2 ON PAGE 1** Reply with quote

1. Kevin Minter, LB LSU- Minter is the kind of player that can make all the tackles, sideline to sideline, and be a leader on the team. Would love to see him in Giants blue

2. Desmond Trufant, CB Washington- Has really improved Junior-Senior year and will keep growing. Obviously has the pedigree. Would make for an awesome trio with Prince and Hosley.

3. Stedman Bailey, WR West Virginia- The fact that this guy is going to last to the third round is insane. Might even be my #1 WR in the entire draft. Keeping Cruz and Nicks is going to be mighty tough, so this is an insurance policy. If we do manage to keep them- Nicks, Cruz, Randle, Bailey, Hixon. Almost too many weapons.

4. Tank Carradine, DE Florida State- Tank is going to drop mightily thanks to his injury. I say he is worth the risk here in the fourth. If he pans out, he'd be another great pass rusher on the team.

5. Dustin Hopkins, K Florida State- We've seen how early kickers are going nowadays. I think we need to grab our long term kicker now.

6. JC Tretter, G Cornell- A well kept secret, more or less. Giants love taking guys excelling at playing against weaker competition in the later rounds. Tretter was All-Ivy League and is obviously intelligent.

7. Montel Harris, RB Temple- Played at Boston College before getting dismissed and joining the Temple team, where he played well. Worth taking a look at RB in the 7th round that dropped because of his off the field issues, as it worked out well the last time we did.

Let me give you my personal opinion, on what I think has happened.
It all started with the release of the coke machine in Brandon Jacobs.

Last edited by minutemancl on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Gmen4ev

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that took me more than a minute to read ... *thumbs down*

Jokes aside the first 6 picks work/ would be perfect. Havent heard much about Montel Harris, but if you say hes worth taking a 7th on I trust you.

Minter is an obvious plus, everyone's debating that he/ogletree/teo will get drafted by us. And I would be complaining one bit Laughing

As for JC Tretter all I can say is yes! Only reason I know about this guy is because I follow Cornell sports because of my great grandfather Laughing

Trufant would also be a nice pick, plus I'd really want his jersey ...

We the North
minutemancl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man.

I honestly don't know much about Montel Harris either, but he fits the bill for what the Giants seem to look for in the 7th round. Plus, we could use another RB.

Save The Hero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good man. Realistic draft with great picks everywhere.

I think JC will actually go higher (4th or 5th round). Harris I don't see much in him as a prospect, but its the 7th round. Could do much worse.

^Stone85 on the sig^
ESKY008

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like minter the most out of all the LBs. Harris had a couple of outstanding seasons at BC before I believe injuries interferred and repeat offences got him kicked off the team. Transferred to temple and didn't hear much after that. If he can return to early career success he will be an absolute steal.
dkebones

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESKY008 wrote:
I like minter the most out of all the LBs. Harris had a couple of outstanding seasons at BC before I believe injuries interferred and repeat offences got him kicked off the team. Transferred to temple and didn't hear much after that. If he can return to early career success he will be an absolute steal.

I also love Minter, but based on the type of defense we have tended to drift to (4-2-5), along with the type of player competition we will be facing for the foreseeable future, having a more athletic linebacker seems to me to be the more strategic play. Obviously the two names that pop to me are Ogletree and Brown. The ability to spy RGIII, cover a Lesean McCoy out of the backfield, or Witten (and maybe we don't need to be subject to another 15+ catch Witten game...), I think, will be paramount as our division rivals continue to evolve.

This also assumes that we can fix the d-line appropriately to handle the run. Minter would be much more valuable stopping the run, but not nearly as valuable as Ogletree (IMO) at dealing with the versatility that some teams can throw at us.

Also, if we could land Stedman Bailey on this team I'd be ecstatic. He would play that Steve Smith slot role that Eli loves so much. Crap, could you imagine Nicks, Cruz, Randle and Bailey in the slot? scary....scary.
jerseyboy257

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthur Brown is the best LBer in the draft IMO
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESKY008 wrote:

Yeah I saw him in Temple more so then BC. Didn't strike me too much as a prospect at Temple.

^Stone85 on the sig^
minutemancl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkebones wrote:
ESKY008 wrote:

I also love Minter, but based on the type of defense we have tended to drift to (4-2-5), along with the type of player competition we will be facing for the foreseeable future, having a more athletic linebacker seems to me to be the more strategic play. Obviously the two names that pop to me are Ogletree and Brown. The ability to spy RGIII, cover a Lesean McCoy out of the backfield, or Witten (and maybe we don't need to be subject to another 15+ catch Witten game...), I think, will be paramount as our division rivals continue to evolve.

This also assumes that we can fix the d-line appropriately to handle the run. Minter would be much more valuable stopping the run, but not nearly as valuable as Ogletree (IMO) at dealing with the versatility that some teams can throw at us.

Also, if we could land Stedman Bailey on this team I'd be ecstatic. He would play that Steve Smith slot role that Eli loves so much. Crap, could you imagine Nicks, Cruz, Randle and Bailey in the slot? scary....scary.

Minter is an incredible upgrade in every way to Blackburn. Minter would be a run stopping thumper that we IMO sorely need for 1st and 2nd downs.

Could definitely see the love for Ogletree and Brown. I like them both a lot too.

dkebones

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minutemancl wrote:

Minter is an incredible upgrade in every way to Blackburn. Minter would be a run stopping thumper that we IMO sorely need for 1st and 2nd downs.

totally agree. and if we were going run a predominatly base 4-3 package, that would make more sense. but we don't, and league offenses are evolving away from the need for a traditional thumper-style MLB. I just think that Ogle would be more verstatile in our scheme.
Tehzl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Minter- Love this pick. Might be a bit of a reach, but still good pick.

Desmond Trufant- Pray I would cry if this was our 2nd round pick, it would be a dream come true. BUT, he is going in the end of the 1st to the Pats or Broncos, and then there will be no way he drop to 19 in the 2nd round.

Stedman Bailey- I like this kid, great pick and a smart pick.

Tank Carradine- Great pickup if he is 100% and if he reaches to the 4th. Probably won't.

Dustin Hopkins- We need a kicker but I don't think we need to use a 5th for one.

JC Tretter- I'm not really a oline person so I have no clue who this is, but I am assuming he will just be depth.

Montel Harris- This is a reach in a bad way. Montel Harris can most likely be picked up from undrafted free agency, and their are a whole lot of better runningback prospects in the late round like Dennis Johnson, Kerwynn Williams, Michael Hill, Stefphon Jefferson, etc.

MY Changes:
1. Kevin Minter, LB
2. Desmond Trufant, CB, but a more realistic option could be Jordan Poyer, CB.
3. Stedman Bailey, WR
4. Tank Carradine, DE, but another option could be Devin Taylor, DE
5. JC Tretter, OG, I looked around and he is project to be 4-5th round
6. Dustin Hopkins, K
7. Dennis Johnson, RB

Note: I might even switch the last 2 pick and draft Zac Stacy, RB in the 6th and Caleb Sturgis, K in the 7th.

Pretty good draft nonetheless.
minutemancl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

**MINUTE MOCK V.2**

Round 1, pick 19:

Desmond Trufant won't be available here, and for good reason. He's going to be a fantastic CB in the NFL. However, with Trufant and a few other players rising recently (Ansah, Jordan, etc.), a few guys are falling as well.

Bjoern Werner, LE, FSU

Round 2, pick 49:

Giants don't draft for need, so if you are expecting a LB here just because we seemingly need one, you are mistaken. If Minter or Ogletree or Te'o (ugh) falls to 49, then yeah, I could see them being the pick. That's not going to happen though. This guy is going to drop. Call it a gut feeling.

Kawann Short, DT, Purdue

Round 3, pick 81:

Again, BPA is the Giants strategy. This guy could easily go earlier, but I think this is the spot for him. Extremely athletic player and, despite all the jokes that used to be made about Al Davis, the Giants are the team that seem to draft Height-Weight-Speed players the most.

Jamie Collins, LB, Southern Miss

Round 4, pick 113:

The Giants always look at small school guys that dominated their lesser competition in the mid to late rounds. This is one of 2 guys that they have been seen having a meeting with. Seems to fit perfectly with the Giants MO.

Brian Winters, OL, Kent State

Round 5, pick 145:

Corey Webster is sticking around, and Prince has solidified himself as a pretty BA corner. We have more than enough safeties, but all of them would have trouble being placed in the slot. The jury is still out on Hosley, although he'll pan out nice. Odd pick, but stranger things have happened. This article also helps a little in making this pick. http://www.bigblueview.com/2013-nfl-draft/2013/3/5/4037822/2013-nfl-draft-tyrann-mathieu-lsu-cb-new-york-giants-honey-badger

Tyrann Matheiu, CB, LSU

Round 6, pick 179:

Another Height-Weight-Whatever guy. Very limited production, didn't show much in games, but why not take a chance on someone who has this potential.

Cornelius Washington, LB/DE, Georgia

Round 7, pick Whatever:

The only other guy the Giants have talked to besides Brian Winters. We get our own Julian Edelman with this pick.

Trent Steelman, WR/RB/QB/CB, Army

Save The Hero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This draft is amazing. Shocked Not sure Short or Collins are going to fall to those picks though, but its entirely possible.

Love every other pick and makes sense to where they are drafted for us.

^Stone85 on the sig^
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be absolutely ecstatic if either of these two drafts real. That said, I highly doubt some of the guys will be available when you have them going. But you never know in the NFL Draft... nobody saw Lamar Miller or Bobbie Massie falling to round 4 last year.

Trufant and Tank are two of my absolute favorite players in this year's class. Problem is with both is that I think the Giants would need to use their first round pick to get either, which would be considered a reach at 19.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: