Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Trade?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deuces22wild

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Trade? Reply with quote

Hey guys, congrats with the big win!

I was thinking with the fa's/high cap you guys have this year Boldin, Kruger, Birk, Lewis, Ellerbe, Williams, Reed, McKinnie, how much interest would you guys have in trading back from you first into the second round to gain more picks?

Maybe something like your 1st (32nd) pick for our 43rd (2nd), 4th (109), and 4th (123)?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Trade? Reply with quote

deuces22wild wrote:

I was thinking with the fa's/high cap you guys have this year Boldin, Kruger, Birk, Lewis, Ellerbe, Williams, Reed, McKinnie, how much interest would you guys have in trading back from you first into the second round to gain more picks?

Maybe something like your 1st (32nd) pick for our 43rd (2nd), 4th (109), and 4th (123)?

With all of the comp picks the Ravens will likely receive from losing guys like Redding, Johnson, Zibi, Haruki, Grubbs, etc. and not signing anyone really other than non-qualifying contracts and cuts from other teams, I doubt we'll be looking to acquire more picks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Trade? Reply with quote

deuces22wild wrote:

Ozzie typically LOVES trading back. He is a wizard with the mid round draft picks, so picking up 2 fourth rounders would be great for him. We'd most likely stay put if there is a great value pick at 32, but otherwise trading back seems reasonable. That being said - I'm not looking at the value chart, but if those picks add up to a pretty even trade, then that would be something I could see happening.

GO RAVENS!!
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do that (trade back from the first) a lot. Twice in the last two years. And we will have quite a few holes to fill with draft picks.

However, we may get a few comp picks, so I'm not sure if that'd leave us with too many rookies to make our team, if we accumulate even more picks for this year.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
We do that (trade back from the first) a lot. Twice in the last two years. And we will have quite a few holes to fill with draft picks.

However, we may get a few comp picks, so I'm not sure if that'd leave us with too many rookies to make our team, if we accumulate even more picks for this year.

That's the big thing to consider this year. Baltimore should be getting some quality compensation picks too not just a couple of extra 6th or 7th rounders so that makes a difference. I'm not ruling out Ozzie trading back but I think moving forward could be more likely. With the new wage scale in place the money factor with higher round rookies is negligible. It wasn't a big factor with the old wage scale either, at least not at the latter end of the first couple of rounds.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I don't think it matters how many comp picks we get. If we get a nice trade package and we're in a position similar to the last few years where we believe a few of our top guys will still be around by the trade down pick then I think we trade down and pick up the extra picks. The way I see it, three trade-able 4th round picks now means we have plenty of trade leverage to use to move up into say... The early 3rd round and target a guy that we really like. Or maybe we package those two picks with our 2nd rounder to move up into the mid 2nd. Now say a DT like Sylvester Williams is falling and we think we want him... Bam now we have the ammo to get a trade done to take him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we have had a history of trading back, Ozzie has normally done it when we have used picks to trade for players and hence are down a few picks. So Ozzie has traded back to recoup those picks.

With the full compliment of picks this year I don't think we will necessarily trade back. Having our full compliment of picks does give Ozzie the flexibility to move all around the draft board to target players we really want. Expect to see us get a lot of the players that we class as gold stars this year. It should be a fun draft for us.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

That's the big thing to consider this year. Baltimore should be getting some quality compensation picks too not just a couple of extra 6th or 7th rounders so that makes a difference. I'm not ruling out Ozzie trading back but I think moving forward could be more likely. With the new wage scale in place the money factor with higher round rookies is negligible. It wasn't a big factor with the old wage scale either, at least not at the latter end of the first couple of rounds.

Totally agree. With all the comp picks we have, I could see us possibly moving up somewhere in the draft more than moving back. Or if we do trade back, we trade back in the first and then use those picks to move back up to grab a guy we really want in the second.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Honestly I don't think it matters how many comp picks we get. If we get a nice trade package and we're in a position similar to the last few years where we believe a few of our top guys will still be around by the trade down pick then I think we trade down and pick up the extra picks. The way I see it, three trade-able 4th round picks now means we have plenty of trade leverage to use to move up into say... The early 3rd round and target a guy that we really like. Or maybe we package those two picks with our 2nd rounder to move up into the mid 2nd. Now say a DT like Sylvester Williams is falling and we think we want him... Bam now we have the ammo to get a trade done to take him.

This is exactly what I was thinking too. Give yourself ammo to get as many of the guys you like as possible.

I think precisely because we have several decent comp picks coming this year, we could be very active in the early rounds of the draft.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:

I agree with this. Personally, I always think the most value is presented early to mid 2nd round. If we trade back into that early 2nd round, grab a high value guy and now have a plethora of picks, I could very well see us move from late 2nd to mid 2nd and grab yet another great value.

If there is not single player the Ravens think is a steal at #32, I wouldn't mind that trade at all. In fact, in the mock I'm creating, I have the Ravens trading back slightly around that area (I think I have it with Arizona though) and then using later picks to jump back up from #64.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

I agree with this. Personally, I always think the most value is presented early to mid 2nd round. If we trade back into that early 2nd round, grab a high value guy and now have a plethora of picks, I could very well see us move from late 2nd to mid 2nd and grab yet another great value.

If there is not single player the Ravens think is a steal at #32, I wouldn't mind that trade at all. In fact, in the mock I'm creating, I have the Ravens trading back slightly around that area (I think I have it with Arizona though) and then using later picks to jump back up from #64.

Darn you!!... now I'll look like a thief when I finish mines. Mad Not talking Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

Darn you!!... now I'll look like a thief when I finish mines. Mad Not talking Wink

Honestly, I'd bet money that our first two picks are identical.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: