Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Wilber and the state of the DE position in 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xXCowboys21Xx wrote:
JWingate wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
IMO 4th round draft picks should be used on guys who you have an eye on starting down the line. To place him behind Ware this early puts him somewhere on the Victor Butler-Brandon Williams purgatory scale.

Except for 2 reasons:

1) Wilber is a better overall player than Williams and Butler in my opinion.

2) Ware is older now and is breaking down. Wilber will have more opportunity I think than Butler and Williams did as they were backing him up during his younger/healthier years (with the exception of Butler last year).

How is Ware breaking down? He had an injury last year yes, things like that happen but he is by no means breaking down. This is just laughable to me to consider DeMarcus Ware as older and broken down.

Agree. He had 11.5 sacks and 5 FF last year and started every single game since 2005, That is not breaking down to me

So you are not at all worried about his neck problems moving forward? No he hasn't missed a game yet, but can you honestly say he was worth having on the field for the last 2 or 3 games last year? Props to him for gutting it out, but he shouldn't have been on the field. He did us more harm than good in my opinion, especially in the biggest game of the year against Washington.

And if you aren't worried about his lingering neck issues, read this article and tell me again that you aren't worried about his health moving forward. Mind you, this was written BEFORE the season, in which he would re-injure his neck and sustain new injuries to his elbow and shoulder:

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8017646/demarcus-ware-dallas-cowboys-had-tests-neck-issues-linger

Quote:
"It's like a stinger," Ware said. "You know how when you hit you get that tingling sensation around your arm? It goes numb for like two seconds. I'll have my strength, do the test and then like it's, 'All right, just wait a little while then go back out and keep playing,' but sometimes it can take away from maybe one play you can make or two plays you can make in key situations where you know you can make a play."

Quote:
"It always goes away in the offseason," Ware said. "It comes back some of the time during the season. I think it's just going to be that way. You've just got to find some way to work through it and just do the precautionary stuff."

So, it obviously hampers his play and he personally doesn't expect it to go away anytime soon as he says it will just "be that way." This has been going on ever since 2009 now and as I said earlier, the older he gets, the more difficult it will be for him to recover and work through it.

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
xXCowboys21Xx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get what you are saying but I just don't see how we could trade him and get better right away. Package him with Austin, sign Osi and draft Jarvis Jones? OK, I gotta wake up now lol

^^BucsGetGaines on the dope sig
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xXCowboys21Xx wrote:
I get what you are saying but I just don't see how we could trade him and get better right away. Package him with Austin, sign Osi and draft Jarvis Jones? OK, I gotta wake up now lol

First off, I never said trade him. I'm just stating my belief that we need to be well aware and prepared for the possibility that Ware is starting to break down and we need a serviceable backup for him who is ready to play significant minutes which I think Wilber could be.

Second, if a team came along and offered us two 1st round picks for Ware, I'd accept that in a heartbeat.

And Jarvis Jones wasnt a DE at Georgia and won't be a DE in the NFL. He'd get mauled.

xXCowboys21Xx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
xXCowboys21Xx wrote:

First off, I never said trade him. I'm just stating my belief that we need to be well aware and prepared for the possibility that Ware is starting to break down and we need a serviceable backup for him who is ready to play significant minutes which I think Wilber could be.

Second, if a team came along and offered us two 1st round picks for Ware, I'd accept that in a heartbeat.

And Jarvis Jones wasnt a DE at Georgia and won't be a DE in the NFL. He'd get mauled.

Yeah I wondered about the hype of Jarvis possibly being able to be a DE. His medical issues make me nervous either way. Because Ware plays at LB and DE, I was implying OSI at DE and Jones at LB. I am letting you educate me, because I obviously don't know.

CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xXCowboys21Xx wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
xXCowboys21Xx wrote:

Yeah I wondered about the hype of Jarvis possibly being able to be a DE. His medical issues make me nervous either way. Because Ware plays at LB and DE, I was implying OSI at DE and Jones at LB. I am letting you educate me, because I obviously don't know.

My fault. Misinterpreted what you were saying regarding Osi and Jarvis. And I'm with you, Jones' medical issues worry me as well.

xXCowboys21Xx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
xXCowboys21Xx wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
xXCowboys21Xx wrote:

My fault. Misinterpreted what you were saying regarding Osi and Jarvis. And I'm with you, Jones' medical issues worry me as well.

He has Beast Potential, but you just never know. If we somehow landed those two, who knows how much more OSI has and the Medical scare of Jones, makes me just say no to it completly

Football Mensa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarvis is small by nfl standards at a 3-4 olb. 4-3 de is out of the question. He is a dynamic player and if used like Miller he will be a boon for a defense who gets him.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Laughing

I mentioned the prospect of Wilber (or Albright) playing DE and I was met with such anger and resistance.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/

* Kyle Wilber. At some point you need to play your draft picks. Last year's fourth-round pick had an uneven 2012 season. There has been discussion about moving Wilber to defensive end to backup Ware. But Wilber seems to be the in-house leader, at least in February, to take over at strongside linebacker.

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Laughing

I mentioned the prospect of Wilber (or Albright) playing DE and I was met with such anger and resistance.

* Kyle Wilber. At some point you need to play your draft picks. Last year's fourth-round pick had an uneven 2012 season. There has been discussion about moving Wilber to defensive end to backup Ware. But Wilber seems to be the in-house leader, at least in February, to take over at strongside linebacker.

Which is fine. But I bring up the possibility - and everyone attacks. The prospect doesn't mean it will happen, just the possibility.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Laughing

I hope that's the case. I'm just saying that if he gets moved behind Ware, we are pretty much admitting defeat on that pick, IMO. I would love for him to get the shot to start at linebacker. I've been calling for that for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Laughing

I hope that's the case. I'm just saying that if he gets moved behind Ware, we are pretty much admitting defeat on that pick, IMO. I would love for him to get the shot to start at linebacker. I've been calling for that for a while.

I hope he proves me wrong. Honestly I'd love for him to become an all-pro OLB, come knock on the door, punch me in the gut kick me in the head and leave a note saying "I told you so". I'd stand up bruised and battered a happy man. All I want is for the Cowboys to win and to have great players. But for right now, this pick was a waste and he will be another forgotten Cowboys pick in 3 years I feel.

Me on the sig in MS Paint Razz
NYDC4life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyMouse07 wrote:
canadaluvsdalla wrote:
Did you watch when he played DE in the 4-3 his first year before he switched to a 3-4 OLB?

He was giving RG3 Fits.

His best tape is when he played 4-3 DE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPSg2zODVcQ

Even more important is the link next to it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98RatvXgojg

Arrow Cool Arrow Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: