Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Percy Harvin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
kingnothing


Joined: 23 Jan 2013
Posts: 73
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Percy Harvin Reply with quote

Psychlone wrote:
kingnothing wrote:
Rumors have the Vikings looking to trade Percy Harvin. He is under contract this season for 2.9 Mil. He would be an upgrade as the #2 WR and KR/PR. But, is wanting a contract extension and has problems staying healthy. I would be willing to give up a 2nd rnd pick, if the team could sign him to a reasonable contract extension. I like the potential he could bring to the offense as a deep threat.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1523986-vikings-reportedly-will-attempt-to-trade-percy-harvin?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=cnn-sports-bin&hpt=hp_bn15
It all hinges on the bolded above and that's what makes it seem very doubtful for me. He would price us out of signing Goldson and quite frankly, I'd sign Goldson over Harvin and his question marks any day of the week.


I see your point. I would bet he is wanting #1 WR money. I just like the potential he could bring to the offense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 13744
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe the issue for us would be his trade value.

Aside from his ragging on his past two coaches which I think alone would disqualify him as a candidate for us, the real reason it won't happen is contract considerations. He is rumored to be wanting the money of a top receiver. But Crabs is still on his rookie contract and will certainly want a lot when his time is up. We all remember his hold out when he thought our offer wasn't good enough. How would he feel, and react, if a new guy got top money? And if Harvin is bad in the locker room could that spread to Crabs if he's unhappy with the contract situation? Then there's the future - how could we afford two WRs who both thought they were worth top WR money?

Seems to me much more likely we get another good, but second tier guy like Manningham, or simply draft another one. WR is one position where (despite Jenkins lack of PT) guys can often play as rookies and even make nice contributions.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
48 1/2ers


Joined: 01 Aug 2011
Posts: 2417
Location: UCI
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
I don't believe the issue for us would be his trade value.

Aside from his ragging on his past two coaches which I think alone would disqualify him as a candidate for us, the real reason it won't happen is contract considerations. He is rumored to be wanting the money of a top receiver. But Crabs is still on his rookie contract and will certainly want a lot when his time is up. We all remember his hold out when he thought our offer wasn't good enough. How would he feel, and react, if a new guy got top money? And if Harvin is bad in the locker room could that spread to Crabs if he's unhappy with the contract situation? Then there's the future - how could we afford two WRs who both thought they were worth top WR money?

Seems to me much more likely we get another good, but second tier guy like Manningham, or simply draft another one. WR is one position where (despite Jenkins lack of PT) guys can often play as rookies and even make nice contributions.

The thing that draws me in to Harvin is that he seriously could be one of the most versatile weapons this league has seen. If you group him with Kaep--who can extend plays, throw bombs, any rout to anywhere on the field. Crabs--The prototypical "possession receiver" who picks up first downs and draws safeties/linebackers in for double coverage. James/Hunter--capable of receiving out of the backfield or busting runs up the middle.

As a defensive coordinator how is it possible to stop an offense like this? The financial issue would be difficult to handle but if anyone could figure a way out it would be Paraag Marathe!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mrscottso


Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 10059
Location: NY
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love a weapon like Harvin, but is he worth the headache, and do we have the cash that he wants?
_________________


BlaqOptic wrote:
Dan Connor is twice the LineBacker that "PWilly" will ever be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoCalNiner


Moderator
Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 22644
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrscottso wrote:
I would love a weapon like Harvin, but is he worth the headache, and do we have the cash that he wants?



_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldman9er


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 39793
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our offense wants to either spread the ball around or force lots of passes to Crabtree... which as others say, will be looking for a big contract soon enough. ( and Jeebus... wait till Kaepernick comes knocking for his pay-day )

Best bet instead of burning picks and big money to get a YAC receiver like Harvin? Develop your own weapon through the draft. Take an early shot on a big-bodied Harvin with Cordarrelle Patterson or Tavon Austin. I might even prefer to look at later options... like a Markus Wheaton, Tavarres King, or Marquise Goodwin.

I wouldn't likely be upset or disappointed if we came away with Harvin... but I just don't see it as a likely option. Might just come down to how desperate the Yorks/Harbs have now become to seal the deal and get ring #6. If they have confidence in their eye for talent? Take the draft approach.. if they are ready to chuck it all into the middle of the table? Make the big splash and hope for the best.

Just don't see the cap situation leaning to a Harvin addition.
_________________

___
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoCalNiner


Moderator
Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 22644
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
Our offense wants to either spread the ball around or force lots of passes to Crabtree... which as others say, will be looking for a big contract soon enough. ( and Jeebus... wait till Kaepernick comes knocking for his pay-day )

Best bet instead of burning picks and big money to get a YAC receiver like Harvin? Develop your own weapon through the draft. Take an early shot on a big-bodied Harvin with Cordarrelle Patterson or Tavon Austin. I might even prefer to look at later options... like a Markus Wheaton, Tavarres King, or Marquise Goodwin.

I wouldn't likely be upset or disappointed if we came away with Harvin... but I just don't see it as a likely option. Might just come down to how desperate the Yorks/Harbs have now become to seal the deal and get ring #6. If they have confidence in their eye for talent? Take the draft approach.. if they are ready to chuck it all into the middle of the table? Make the big splash and hope for the best.

Just don't see the cap situation leaning to a Harvin addition.



_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoCalNiner


Moderator
Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 22644
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So apparently Percy wants Fitzgerald/Megatron money. We can cross him off our list.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J-ALL-DAY


Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 26223
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
So apparently Percy wants Fitzgerald/Megatron money. We can cross him off our list.


LOL!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoCalNiner


Moderator
Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 22644
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
So apparently Percy wants Fitzgerald/Megatron money. We can cross him off our list.


LOL!


http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5197/percy-harvin

Report: Harvin may seek annual $12 million

Quote:
According to ESPN 1500 Twin Cities, the "word circulating in league circles" is that Percy Harvin wants at least an annual $10 million in his new contract, with the "real goal" perhaps being $12 million or more.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoCalNiner


Moderator
Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 22644
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a guy who's never hit a 1k season he sure wants top WR money.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J-ALL-DAY


Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 26223
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This season he was unbelievable, but he brings some baggage and want too much money. Good dream we had........................
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steadypimpin


Joined: 01 Jan 2009
Posts: 8765
Location: Rockville, Maryland
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$12 million? He's good and all but we could get a guy who will help us for half of that per year.
_________________

Thanks to Peppers90 on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
48 1/2ers


Joined: 01 Aug 2011
Posts: 2417
Location: UCI
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the max any team would pay him is say a 5 year 40 million deal...but who knows someone might be crazy enough to go to 10m a year
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kingnothing


Joined: 23 Jan 2013
Posts: 73
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way! The price is too steep. Trading away draft pick(s) and paying him 12 mil per yr. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group