Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Ravens Mock Draft (Post Combine) UPDATED 2.26.13

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aewell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: 2013 Ravens Mock Draft (Post Combine) UPDATED 2.26.13 Reply with quote

Based on NFL.com & CBSSPORTS.com Big Board Rankings

1st Round #32
Tavon Austin WR West Virginia Sr 5-08 174 4.34/40
NFL Grade=85.4
Met with Ravens=Yes
Donít blink when Austin has the ball in his hands, as his elite acceleration helped him finish second in the country in all-purpose yards as a senior and lead the FBS as a junior. Donít be surprised if he turns out to be a first round pick or the first wide receiver off the board, as he is a huge playmaker on offense and special teams in the NFL despite the slight build that scared scouts away from other WVU offensive stars in the past.

2nd Round#62
Brandon Williams DT Missouri Southern State rSr 6-1 335
NFL Grade=73.15
Williams became a three-time All-American as a senior, using a combination of strength and agility not usually seen at the Division II. He doesn't have nearly the same skills as someone like Dontari Poe, but has enough talent to be at least a solid rotational tackle who could stick in the league for a while.

3rd Round#94
Brandon Jenkins OLB Florida State Sr 6-2.5 251 DNP/40
NFL Grade=82.9
Met with Ravens=Yes
The next Florida State pass rusher to head to the NFL saw a drop in production in 2011 (eight sacks, down from 13.5 in 2010), and then suffered a Lisfranc injury in the Seminoles' 2012 opener. Jenkins has a redshirt year available, but the injury occurred early enough that he might hold off until doctors can determine if he would be ready to work out for scouts at the Combine. A strong workout and positive medical reports could make him a bargain for an NFL team trying to find a pass rusher (4-3 end or 3-4 linebacker) in the second round of the 2013 draft.

4th Round#126
Kevin Reddick ILB North Carolina Sr 6-1.5 246 4.72/40
NFL Grade=71.5
Met with Ravens=Yes
Reddick is yet another North Carolina defender with a somewhat turbulent career but possesses the size and athleticism NFL scouts covet in a prospect likely to be picked on the second day of the draft. The four-year starter presents some position versatility in the NFL. He could start in the middle in the NFL as a thumper for a 3-4 team

4th Round Comp Pick#127
Dwayne Gratz CB Connecticut rSr 5-11 201 4.47/40
NFL Grade=62.1
Met with Ravens=Yes
Gratz first stepped into the limelight with a 46-yard interception return for a touchdown against Oklahoma quarterback Landry Jones in the teamís 48-20 loss to the Sooners in the 2011 Orange Bowl. He followed that up with two consecutive second-team All-Big East seasons, using his NFL-quality size, strength, and agility to handle receivers on the outside.

5th Round#158
Dion Sims TE Michigan State rJr 6-5 262 4.75/40
NFL Grade=67.0
Sims is an intriguing prospect mostly due to the open field speed that he possesses on a 6-foot-6, 285-pound frame. Sims is a good pass blocker, and has a soft pair of hands. However, he doesn't always use his size in the run game, and he struggles to bring in the difficult catch. He will likely be a mid-round selection.

5th Round Comp Pick#160
Joe Kruger DE Utah Jr 6-6 280 4.83/40
NFL Grade=73.0
Met with Ravens=Yes
Kruger has an great frame, and is highly athletic and powerful. His technique is raw, and he needs to work on improving his pad level, but he has plenty of upside as a 3-4 defensive end

6th Round#190
Corey Fuller WR Virginia Tech rSr 6-2.5 204 4.43/40
NFL Grade=56.0
Met with Ravens=Yes
While still raw to the game from an overall technique perspective, Fuller is a gifted athlete. He's very fast, has good flexibility, and is explosive out of his cuts, which makes him a weapon as a receiver. He'll need to improve his blocking and clean up his game at the next level, but his athletic ability will likely get him selected in the middle to late rounds of the draft.

6th Round Comp Pick#192
Cornelius Washington DE Georgia rSr 6-4 265 4.55/40
NFL Grade= 69.4
A tall, long defensive end/rush linebacker who hasnít been able to break through quite yet, but flashes the strength and quickness (10 career sacks) to be a factor. The production has never been there, but Washington's flashes and potential will likely result in a team selecting him to contribute down the line.

6th Round #194
Earl Wolff SS North Carolina State rSr 5-11 206 4.44/40
NFL Grade=63.4
Met with Ravens=Yes
The three-year starter is willing to attack ballcarriers in space or in the backfield and can make plays in the secondary, meaning he has a chance to start in the NFL as a mid-round pick.

7th Round #222
Vince Williams ILB Florida State rSr 6-1 247
NFL Grade=NA
2013 Senior Bowl, Tuesday: Vince Williams was second-best Tuesday among the linebackers

Last edited by aewell on Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:44 pm; edited 22 times in total
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE Sam Montgomery in the 1st. Honestly don't think he falls to pick #31/#32, and we'd have to trade up to secure him, but no question he's one of my top 3 ETs in this draft. I never thought we'd have a shot at him and honestly don't understand why he's falling this far in the first place. Though their are a lot of pass rushers... I just think its funny how many draftniks seem to be overrating some of the more 'physical' specimens without production based on their 'potential' when you've got a specimen with Montgomery playing on one of the best defenses in the nation and is already productive and fulfilling his potential... I swear, I don't understand it. If NFL decision makers allow Montgomery to fall to the Ravens, they deserve their fates in the cellar.

/rant.

With your second pick, while I like Travis Frederick and what he provides to an OL... I don't think that pick is wise. We just spent a third round pick on Gino Gradkowski. He's looked good in the time he saw at center (preseason/Bengals game) and I think we just have more important areas of concern. If we go OL in the 2nd, I'd love to see if Aboushi falls to our pick in the 2nd. He's dropped some lately because he doesn't have mammoth arms, but his arms are long enough to not be a problem. If Chris Faulk can return to form and workout at the combine and for teams to prove his athleticism is back... and if he measures well length wise, I'd love to have him in the 2nd as well. No question I think LT will be our biggest need this offseason.

I admittedly haven't watched much of Bostic, but from what I saw... I questioned his instincts. He always looked like he was a foot slower in recognizing the play. I also see simply 'good' athleticism. I think the combination will make him nothing more than an above average ILB option at the next level. I'm a much bigger fan of Gerald Hodges.. who seems to be in that range for some reason. The guy is going to be a playmaker at the next level- guarantee it.

I'm not sure if your mock offseason has us losing out on Ellerbe or not, so I can't judge. All I know is that I expected much bigger things from Nico Johnson this year. He's a very good option against the run though, but under good coaches at Alabama hasn't used his athleticism to excel in coverage... though Dont'a Hightower has improved in that area at the next level, so I suppose there's still 3 down potential left in Johnson. So if we kept Ellerbe in this scenario... I think we should move on from Johnson and go a different direction, but if not, then I think Johnson has the athleticism to eventually develop and take a starting spot away from McClain- who is the definition of average.

We're not going to let go of Ed Dickson before we have to. Dickson is a veteran option at this point. We'd be foolish to let him go, especially with the concussion Pitta took this year and the big hits he's kept taking... it reminds me of the way Heap used to fling his body around for tough catches before the injuries started to pile up. So with that we need better insurance for Pitta than just some rookie who's learning the ropes. We could use depth at the position in the form of a blocking TE with hands in the 5th round or later, but we shouldn't boost the priority of the position by not filling out our roster with Dickson.

I like the option of Kwame Geathers, not sure where his stock is however. But if its in that area, I think we'd do well to take a look. Those Georgia DL players did a great job of keeping their LBers from getting hit by blockers and in some cases (Ogletree) made them look better than what I believe their talent to be.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admittedly don't know much about anyone other than Montgomery at this point, but I love that pick.

In the second, I definitely don't think we need a center with Gradkowski on the roster. I'd be in favor of my growing mancrush DJ Swearinger from South Carolina there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the Montgomery pick (which I love), nothing flashy.

Just an all around solid draft. Although I would like to see the d-line or safety position being addressed in the first 4 rounds.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montgomery is a really nice pick. I would be happy with any one of about seven pass-rushers in the first round. There's no chance of getting Moore, Jones, Werner, and maybe Mingo without trading up but Montgomery, Ansah, and Jordan might have a chance of being there. To be honest I think even that's a stretch but I'm hoping at least one of them slips through the cracks. Okafor might not be bad either but I'm not as high on him as others. Anyways, I really like that pick.

Frederick is a pick I don't like. Like db424 and Flaccomania mentioned the Ravens just took Gradkowski with a relatively high pick and they need to see what he can do before spending another quality selection on the position. I know either of those two guys could probably play guard but I don't view that as a need at all with Osemele (hoping they keep him there) and Yanda.

Bostic is meh. I don't feel strongly one way or the other for that one.

Johnson is a hell no for me but I'm biased. I don't like him as a prospect at all and I don't think he's going to ever be more than just the McClain level of average. I don't like doubling up at the position either unless you don't see Baltimore re-signing Ellerbe. As much as I don't like McClain he's fine as a 3rd ILB and if Ellerbe is still around it wouldn't make a ton of sense taking two guys. Bynes is fine as the 4th ILB.

I don't know much about McDonald but if you project Dickson not to get tendered then TE becomes a slight need. Probably not a 4th round need though. I don't see the Ravens using multiple TE sets to pass much out of (as long as Caldwell is the OC) and Pitta is firmly established as a solid pass-catching starter.

Geathers is a fine pick that late. Hopefully Kemoeatu won't be back but they do need a replacement for him.

McGee isn't bad either. Although Williams is a free agent the depth at CB won't be bad for Baltimore with Webb coming back and still having Smith, Graham, Brown, and Jackson under contract.

I don't see the need to double up at TE even if Dickson is gone. Having different types of options at TE is nice but it doesn't seem likely that the Ravens would sub out so much that it would be a benefit. That's probably a bit late for Toilolo too.

I don't know anything about Wolf.

Overall it's alright in my opinion. Not my favorite but it does cover some needs.
aewell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Montgomery is a really nice pick. I would be happy with any one of about seven pass-rushers in the first round. There's no chance of getting Moore, Jones, Werner, and maybe Mingo without trading up but Montgomery, Ansah, and Jordan might have a chance of being there. To be honest I think even that's a stretch but I'm hoping at least one of them slips through the cracks. Okafor might not be bad either but I'm not as high on him as others. Anyways, I really like that pick.

Frederick is a pick I don't like. Like db424 and Flaccomania mentioned the Ravens just took Gradkowski with a relatively high pick and they need to see what he can do before spending another quality selection on the position. I know either of those two guys could probably play guard but I don't view that as a need at all with Osemele (hoping they keep him there) and Yanda.

Bostic is meh. I don't feel strongly one way or the other for that one.

Johnson is a hell no for me but I'm biased. I don't like him as a prospect at all and I don't think he's going to ever be more than just the McClain level of average. I don't like doubling up at the position either unless you don't see Baltimore re-signing Ellerbe. As much as I don't like McClain he's fine as a 3rd ILB and if Ellerbe is still around it wouldn't make a ton of sense taking two guys. Bynes is fine as the 4th ILB.

I don't know much about McDonald but if you project Dickson not to get tendered then TE becomes a slight need. Probably not a 4th round need though. I don't see the Ravens using multiple TE sets to pass much out of (as long as Caldwell is the OC) and Pitta is firmly established as a solid pass-catching starter.

Geathers is a fine pick that late. Hopefully Kemoeatu won't be back but they do need a replacement for him.

McGee isn't bad either. Although Williams is a free agent the depth at CB won't be bad for Baltimore with Webb coming back and still having Smith, Graham, Brown, and Jackson under contract.

I don't see the need to double up at TE even if Dickson is gone. Having different types of options at TE is nice but it doesn't seem likely that the Ravens would sub out so much that it would be a benefit. That's probably a bit late for Toilolo too.

I don't know anything about Wolf.

Overall it's alright in my opinion. Not my favorite but it does cover some needs.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Ravens trade up in the first round to acquire a starting DT talent after Ozzie's state of affairs speech.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aewell wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Ravens trade up in the first round to acquire a starting DT talent after Ozzie's state of affairs speech.

If we do, it'd have to be for a dominant player. But I don't think we do. There's expected to be a lot of talented options available even around our pick in the first. Personally, I'd prefer us to trade down. Honestly, I know we could have a lot of comp picks coming our way, but I think our best bet is to see whose available at the end of the first, if there's no one that stands out, trade down, pick up extra picks... and then put together a few packages between our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up and snatch guys that we're really high on.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aewell wrote:

I wouldn't mind them trading up for a guy like Richardson. I'm still not sure about Floyd but apparently he's getting hyped up as a top 10 pick so who knows. Lotulelei is probably out of their range. Hankins might be the most likely/easiest to trade up for but he has some conditioning and/or motor issues. The same was said about Ngata when he was drafted though so it isn't always the case when they get to the NFL. Those are the only guys I think they would have to trade up for at DT.

As for the updated version of your mock, I like most of it (again). Getting Montgomery and Brown in the first two rounds would be amazing. I'm not high on the third and fourth round picks though. I'm not necessarily down on Wreh-Wilson but I don't think CB is a need at all and even your description of him isn't a good fit for Baltimore. I just don't like Reddick much. The description you have of him isn't what the Ravens need either. It looks pretty good after that. The only things I'd question are Toilolo falling that far and taking a WR or S that late. It seems like it would be a waste of picks given the depth at those positions (of younger/developmental players).
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
aewell wrote:

I wouldn't mind them trading up for a guy like Richardson. I'm still not sure about Floyd but apparently he's getting hyped up as a top 10 pick so who knows. Lotulelei is probably out of their range. Hankins might be the most likely/easiest to trade up for but he has some conditioning and/or motor issues. The same was said about Ngata when he was drafted though so it isn't always the case when they get to the NFL. Those are the only guys I think they would have to trade up for at DT.

As for the updated version of your mock, I like most of it (again). Getting Montgomery and Brown in the first two rounds would be amazing. I'm not high on the third and fourth round picks though. I'm not necessarily down on Wreh-Wilson but I don't think CB is a need at all and even your description of him isn't a good fit for Baltimore. I just don't like Reddick much. The description you have of him isn't what the Ravens need either. It looks pretty good after that. The only things I'd question are Toilolo falling that far and taking a WR or S that late. It seems like it would be a waste of picks given the depth at those positions (of younger/developmental players).

I thought about mentioning Richardson in my above post as a potential trade up guy... but then I thought about the teams preference to take senior players early on, unless the guy is a true homerun... I'm pretty sure that Richardson is a homerun... but would the team be willing to trade up into a range necessary to attain his talent?... with that, I'm not sure that he is.

In terms of Floyd, I agree. I'd pass on trading up for him. I don't think he's worth it. Honestly, I'm not even sure I'd want him if he was there at 32... I think I might prefer SW92 over him as he's more polished and has a better motor- both have similar athleticism on tape as well.

I'm not a fan of Hankins for us. Looked at his tape... and didn't come away impressed. He didn't look overly explosive or fast. And he lacked pass rushing moves. He looked similar to Devon Still from last year, but didn't flash dominance as much. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he's one of those guys that people expected to go high in the draft that falls. Since he's an underclassmen, the combine will be huge for him.
-----
In terms of the mock update... I mostly agree with coordinator0, the only thing that I disagree with is the point about Kevin Reddick. I actually think this is the perfect scenario for that to happen. With having taken Arthur Brown earlier in the draft, if Kevin Reddick somehow falls that far, I think he'd make a perfect addition in the 4th round. He reminds me a lot of Ellerbe. He's not good in coverage... in fact, he's worse than Ellerbe. But Reddick as a run defender is very athletic and hits hard, I actually think he's a better run defender than Ellerbe because of his increased athleticism. He's also instinctive and will shoot gaps to make plays. With Brown/Reddick starting inside, I think we'd have one of the most athletic inside duos in all of football. Reddick alone doesn't work, but in conjunction with a guy like Brown or Greene, he'd look very nice. We could substitute him out on 3rd down for a nickel package anyway... so as a two down thumper, he'd replace Ellerbe's running game and blitzing prowess quite nicely IMO.

Marquardt is a guy that I had in one of my earlier mocks. Obviously a potential pick, but if we're able to retain McKinnie for another season, I think we need to add at the very least a 'developmental' guy that we could hope make gains as the season progressed, a guy who could play LT and we could have enough faith in him as the backup to keep Oher on the right side... as I still don't fully trust McKinnie, but Oher is just as untrustworthy on the left side and KO is an elite LG.

Don't think Kruger goes that late. Kwame is cool there. Not familiar with the other names.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: