Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DT/NT Ravens 2013 Draft Poll (Post Combine)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Projected Available DT Should the Ravens Draft
John Jenkins DT Georgia Sr 6-4 359
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Kawann Short DT Purdue rSr 6-3 308
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Brandon Williams DT Missouri Southern State rSr 6-2 341
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
Sylvester Williams DT North Carolina Sr 6-3 313
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Montori Hughes DT Tennessee-Martin Sr 6-4 328
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Kwame Geathers DT Georgia rJr 6-5 355
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bennie Logan DT LSU rJr 6-3 295
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Datone Jones DE UCLA rSr 6-4 280
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

aewell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: DT/NT Ravens 2013 Draft Poll (Post Combine) Reply with quote

General Manager Ozzie Newsome didn’t hesitate when asked Thursday about the team’s biggest needs heading into the offseason.

“The middle of the defense,” he said. “We think we have to get better at defensive tackle. We know that one linebacker is retiring and another one is a free agent. We have a safety that is a free agent, and some young guys that have yet to step up. So, we would say the middle of the defense is probably the one area that we will concentrate on.”

Last edited by aewell on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
draftguru1234

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesse Williams.
aewell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draftguru1234 wrote:
Jesse Williams.

JWill is ranked @ # 22 on Draftscout Big Board. So unless he slides doubt Ozzie moves up to get him.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really can't pay attention to NFLDS. They're terrible. I think Richardson, Lotulelei, Sylvestor Williams, Short, and probably Floyd go before we pick. After them my top picks are Jesse Williams and Bennie Logan.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
draftguru1234

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aewell wrote:
draftguru1234 wrote:
Jesse Williams.

JWill is ranked @ # 22 on Draftscout Big Board. So unless he slides doubt Ozzie moves up to get him.

I wouldn't put too much stock on that.

Williams very well could be on the board at 32 because he doesn't have a huge amount of upside.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what position Newsome was talking about. He said defensive tackle but does that mean nose tackle or the 5-technique opposite of Ngata? It looked like Pees prefers to use a more basic alignment of the 3-4 than what other defensive coordinators have used in years past so a guy that's more like a true 5-technique might be a better fit than a DE/pass-rusher type that we wanted when they were using more 3-4 over/under looks.

It's starting to sound like Lotulelei, Floyd, Richardson, and maybe Hankins are all near locks to go before Baltimore's pick so guys I like in the 5-technique mold that are higher round targets would be Sylvester Williams and maybe Bennie Logan (not as familiar with him). It's a deep class for the DL but that's about the only two guys I like that will in the probably be available when the Ravens are picking (first or second round).

I don't think nose tackle is a high round need but if they were to go with one my preference would be Jesse Williams. Pees seems to prefer guys that can get off blocks better instead of guys that just take up blocks so he would be the best fit in my opinion. I like Jenkins a lot too and he has more wiggle than you think a 360 lb. nose tackle would/should have. Brandon Williams is interesting too although I think he's more suited to the 5-technique than NT.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Sylvester Williams easily wins in comparison to the other guys you had listed in your pole.

I hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of adding a few names to your pole that could make some sense. Those names being Bennie Logan from LSU... who shares some similarities to Sheldon Richardson, but is a less explosive player.

I also added Datone Jones. He's not a DT perse, but like c0 mentioned, I think Jones has the potential to easily gain 10 lbs, play 5-tech, and be a dominating pass rushing 5-tech hybrid.

I'd go with one of my above three guys though. I know Cody underachieved this year, but a) I think he comes back better next season as he already seemed to be making gains within Pees system as the season went along. So I think that is important to make note of. b) I think its also important to realize that solid NTs can be found later in the draft... especially with the Ravens pedigree in being able to find talented options later. I see no reason to waste a priority pick on a NT.

For me, I look at that Super Bowl game and what we're lacking became obvious. Once Ngata went down, we had guys that could plug holes and take on blocks... but there was no athleticism along the DL that could really do anything. They couldn't rush the passer nor could they make plays on CK7 when he took and angle to run along the sidelines. They stood absolutely no chance... heck Tom Brady could've probably run for a first down against those guys. We can't allow that to happen. We need some more dominance up front. We hoped that could be McPhee. And maybe he still has something left to show when he's healthy. But even then, putting him in a rotation shouldn't hurt. Arthur Jones could be a candidate to move to NT.

I like all of the above guys, but put a gun to my head... and I think I'd take Sylvester Williams. He has the size, the athleticism, the understanding of leverage... the only thing that I think he really needs.. is to improve his tackling technique and strengthen his technique a little more. But I think he has the potential to be dominant at the next level with the right coaching. He sort of reminds me of Darnell Dockett in some respects.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: DT/NT Ravens 2013 Draft Poll Reply with quote

aewell wrote:
General Manager Ozzie Newsome didn’t hesitate when asked Thursday about the team’s biggest needs heading into the offseason.

“The middle of the defense,” he said. “We think we have to get better at defensive tackle. We know that one linebacker is retiring and another one is a free agent. We have a safety that is a free agent, and some young guys that have yet to step up. So, we would say the middle of the defense is probably the one area that we will concentrate on.”

Shariff Floyd or Sheldon Richardson if either fall. On your list John Jenkins. Another candidate should be Margus Hunt.
Dark ops

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sylvester Williams should be the pick especially after we address other needs with our earlier picks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: