Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With A Season Behind Us, Grade The 2012 Draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Grade the 2012 Draft
A
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
B
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
C
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
D
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
F
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

apollo14000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: With A Season Behind Us, Grade The 2012 Draft Reply with quote

I don't think this was done yet but let's grade our 2012 NFL draft with a season behind us. Give each pick an individual grade and explain the positive/negative outlook you have on each player. It's ok to use hindsight 20/20 (ex: Roberts is a good #2 now so we didn't need another WR...)

1. Michael Floyd/WR---B--- Floyd will be a very good WR. He put up decent numbers with terrible QB play and his highly regarded blocking skills translated to the NFL right away. Like I said above, Roberts is a good #2 WR in this league so that bumps the grade down a bit. A OL may have been a wiser selection here like DDC because there's no point in having so many weapons if the OL is ignored.
3. Jamell Fleming/CB---C--- He played well early on but ended up in Ray Horton's dog house. I'm not as high on him as I used to be. Hopefully he just hit a very early rookie wall. LOL Russell Wilson went just 5 picks ahead of this one...
4. Bobbie Massie/RT---A--- Loved the pick when it happened and I still love it now. Massie has proven to be the only sure thing about our OL heading into the 2013 season. He showed immense improvement and steady play over the 2nd half of the season.
5. Senio Kelemete/OG---D--- I honestly see no starting potential in this guy. I didn't really like him coming out. I think he's a pure backup player.
6. Justin Bethel/CB---B--- Showed next to nothing on defense but became a valuable ST player towards the end of the season. Good value in the 6th round.
6. Ryan Lindley/QB---D--- He shouldn't have had to play so early but our coaching staff shouldn't have invested another pick in a big, strong-armed QB with major accuracy issues and no field vision ala John Skelton.
7. Nate Potter/LT---A--- The grade is high because we snagged ourselves a OT that can backup either tackle position and compete for the LT spot heading into the 2013 season. That's pretty good value in the 7th round.

Overall---C--- Coming away with Floyd, Massie, and Potter is an good haul and Fleming isn't a bust yet. The thing that hurts this draft is the fact we traded away our 2nd round pick for Kevin Kolb on a huge salary and that hasn't paid off yet. This was also the year of the QB it seems and we missed out big time.
Boise&cards Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall I'm giving it a C.

Floyd get a B. Was not a need to me. Could have picked up a decent number 3 later in the draft or free agent. Robert with a decent QB goes over a 1000 yards this year or in the 900 range depending on how decent the QB is.

Jamell Fleming gets a C. Played well early I believe but something happen that they stopped using him. All think he lacks some of the speed need to cover faster WR.

Bobbie Massie gets a A+. Not often does a rookie OL play well and Massie is no exception to that with shaky play to start the year. He still gets an A+ from me for what he did over the 2nd half of the year and because he was a 4th round pick.

Senio Kelemete D+ I guess. Nothing to go off of. Only got playing time in the last game because of an injury. Did not look horrible but did get beat on a stunt move. Maybe he could still develop into something.

Justin Bethel gets a B. Good special team player who missed some tackles that he should of had. Don't like him at all at CB. Hopefully the new staff moves him back to Safety.

Ryan Lindley Gets an F. Did not like him coming out. Did not like him when we drafted him and still don't like him. Don't think he has what it takes to be a NFL QB or number 2 QB.

Nate Potter gets an A. Just good overall value and can develop into a decent tackle still. Did not play great but he could have been much worse.

That right I won. Thank you NS922 for the Sig.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall look at the draft.

I think the team has found three starters (Fleming, Massie, Floyd) and at least two backups (Bethel, Potter) one of which is going to be able to hold down a roster spot based on his special teams ability alone.

I like Kelemete I think he has the ability to be a swing backup with spot start ability. I don't think we can read too much into the lack of playing time he has last season, from all reports there was very little coaching going on on the offensive side of the ball from QB right through to the offensive line and when you put young guys into that kind of a situation you know it is not going to be good. By the same token I have hope for Lindley. I was big on him, his issues are coachable (Footwork mostly) and at SDSU and here last year he never got that coaching. I am intrigued to see how he might develop with Kitchens/Arians/Moore all looking at that position with a "teachers eye".

Bottom Line for me - You cannot judge a draft after one season, but I think there is a lot of upside there and if you could say you got three starters and an impact special teamer from a draft you would be happy, especially in a draft in which you did not have a 2nd round pick.
shawn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably a C overall.

Floyd is as talented as they come, but perhaps wasn't the right pick for us when all was said and done. I do like his game, however, and hopefully he can play a role in de-sucking our offense. I am actually not as high on Fleming as the rest of you seem to be, unfortunatly. I loved the pick on draft day, and he looked like the real deal early on. But he was essentially benched later in the year and was in Ray Horton's doghouse. overall, I would qualify that as a disapointing rookie campaign. Massie does not deserve an A or an A+ either, you guys are gettig carried away. Sure his play down the stretch was worthy of an A, but lets not forget he gave up 13.5 sacks in the first 8 games. which I believe is some sort of record, correct? His play did improve by leaps and bounds, and I am thrilled about that. But before we start slapping around high grades and calling him a sure thing, lets remember that Levi Brown also has had stretches of 8 games or so where he looks like a top LT, but it never seems to last.

sig made by mike23md
iRobot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interesting thing about the Floyd pick in hindsight, say that the line scenario still played out like it did. Levi gets hurt, we play it out like it happened..

And now say that we picked up DeCastro and he didn't get hurt. Reports out of Pittsburgh were that DeCastro was not making tremendous strides early on and was having his own struggles.

So we throw into the fire a line of:

Batiste (BLAH) - Colledge - Sendlein - DeCastro (struggles) - Massie (struggles)

and who knows, maybe eventually moved onto a line of:

Potter (Okay) - Colledge (struggled late) - Sendlein (eventually injured) - DeCastro (who knows) - Massie (did average/above avg)

I don't think it would of seriously changed the complexion of the offense last season.

Now going into this season, would it have been a better pick considering the emergence of Andre as a good #2 WR, sure. Floyd seems more of a luxury pick, even with Doucet having a sub-par year.

I can't grade this class until at least after next season and a more true feel going into year 3.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't we see that Kelemete actually may have a future at WR?

In all seriousness - I think it's too hard to grade him right now - he was a tackle in college making the transition to guard, plus if I remember correctly he missed a lot of rookie activities due to his late graduation date.

Jamell Fleming has the tools but his issues are mental - it's hard to predict if he can overcome them, but he has talent. So both of these guys I give the most incomplete grades on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: