Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

KMan "Let's Get Nasty" Mock Draft Part Deux

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KManX89

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: KMan "Let's Get Nasty" Mock Draft Part Deux Reply with quote

Staff

Dom Capers fired as DC

We all knew this was coming, let's be honest. After laying a giant stinker 3 out of the last 4 years in crunch time, TT decides enough is enough and moves on.

Packers hire Romeo Crennel as new DC.

With the Chiefs letting him go and Capers no longer there, TT sees the opportunity to nab a perfect replacement and hires former DC/HC Romeo Crennel. This allows us to stick with the 3-4 defense while giving us a proven commodity at DC (which he's obviously best at), having previously ran the elite Pats defenses of the early 2000s during their "Dynasty" years. With some new pieces added to the defense (to be revaled later on) and familiarity with the scheme, here's hoping he can return the magic to GB.

Contracts

Not Resigned/retired/released/traded:

WR Greg Jennings-tagged and traded to Jets (along w/2014 4th round pick, #122) for their 2nd and 3rd round picks (#40 and #74, respectively)
**NOTE: this is assuming (keyword: assuming) a deal can be worked out with another team (say the Dolphins or Jets, both of whom need a WR) BEFORE Tagging Jennings, which is exactly what a mock is: a simulation, hence the T&T (in before "oh, but there's no way Jennings will be T&T'ed").
WR Donald Driver-retired
C Jeff Saturday-retired
SS Charles Woodson-retired
ILB A.J. Hawk-traded to Bills for 4th round pick (#104)
RB Cedric Benson-not re-signed
RB Ryan Grant-not re-signed
ILB Brad Jones-not re-signed
ILB Jamari Lattimore-cut
ILB Robert Francois-not re-signed
OLB Erik Walden-not re-signed
RB Brandon Saine-cut
TE D.J. Williams-cut
TE Ryan Taylor-cut

Re-signed:

C Evan Dietrich-Smith
CB Sam Shields
TE Tom Crabtree

Free Agents:

DE Richard Seymour (OAK)/2 yrs.

Normally, TT doesn't sign free agents, however, with Worthy starting the year on the PUP list and possibly missing the entire season, TT has literally no choice but to go out and sign a replacement for him (kinda like with Benson last year after Saine went down with a season-ending injury). He nabs the perfect one, in former Patriots great Richard Seymour. He's the perfect fit in the 3-4, being an excellent 5-tech, and at age 33 and with still some gas left in the tank, TT signs him for relatively cheap.

**TRADE W/MIAMI: Packers trade TE Jermichael Finley, their 2014 1st round pick and 2013 2nd round pick from the Jets (#40) to the Dolphins for their 2013 1st rounder (#12), 3rd (#84) and 7th (#203) round picks.

12. FS Kenny Vaccaro, Texas
6'1" 218 lbs.

With Finley being too much of a headcase in the media, and too expensive, with only 1 more year of service in GB, at best, and with a gaping hole at safety left behind following Woodson's retirement, TT makes a blockbuster DD trade with Miami, giving up their 2014 1st round pick, the 2nd round pick acquired from the Jets in the Jennings T&T, and TE Jermichael Finley for their 12th overall pick and a slew of other draft picks. In doing so, TT drafts the best safety in this class (who is extremely unlikely to fall to their late 1st round pick at #26), while also freeing up $8 mil in cap space in the process. Kenny Vaccaro is excellent in both man and zone coverage, and has still managed to hold his own despite being the only bright spot on an otherwise suspect Longhorns secondary. His playmaking ability gives him the potential to make everyone in the secondary better, much like Nick Collins before him (Nick, we miss you). He also has the size and strength that TT likes in his Safeties, and can really lay the wood whenever the opportunity presents itself. Morgan Burnett can now also move to his natural SS position. In acquiring Vaccaro and a new 3-4 DC who actually knows how to run a defense, the Packers secondary just got much, much better for years to come, and nastier.

**TRADE W/ARIZONA (2013 1ST [26] AND 2013 4TH [104] FOR 2013 2ND [39], 3RD [71] 1013 5TH [135] AND 2013 7TH [199]

39. DE/OLB Alex Okafor, Texas
6'5" 265 lbs.

Cardinals trade back into the 1st round with Green Bay to get a coveted QB (like a Tyler Wilson or Matt Barkley), while the Packers acquire additional picks, which gives us some much-needed leverage to trade up for coveted players of our own. In trading down and acquiring extra picks, TT sees an amazing pass rusher slide to the early part of the 2nd round (Falcons take LSU DE Sam Montgomery with the 30th pick) and pounces on the opportunity. Alex Okafor is an absolute beast. He's explosive off the edge, great at forcing fumbles when he can't pick up a sack, great against the run, and has one of the best bull rushes of all the pass rushers in the draft. This also gives the Packers plenty of scheme versatility, allowing them to occasionally use a 4-3 front on certain downs (and to help stop the likes of AP and Kaep on rushing downs) with Perry and Okafor rushing along the edge, allowing Matthews to drop back and cover TEs, which he is also useful for. This also keeps Clay fresh, by either relieving him on 3rd down on occassion (much like Seattle's 1-2 punch of Chris Clemons and Bruce Irvin with Irvin coming in off the bench 3rd downs) or as a temporary fill-in when he is fatigued towards the middle of games, allowing him to come back in well-rested (hey, this worked out great for "Da Bears" in their 1st game against us this year, subbing in Shea McClellin for an entire drive or so, which allowed Julius Peppers to come back into the game fresh, and he sacked Rodgers the very next play and forced us to try that fake FG, imagine Okafor in Shea's place with Matthews getting re-energized on the sideline *drool*). It also provides great depth should either Matthews or Perry go down with an injury. Plus, Nick Perry can finally start playing some snaps with his hand in the dirt like he's always wanted to coming into last year's draft, another added benefit. Also, just imagine us running a 5 LB set, with Perry on the left and Okafor standing right beside Matthews on the right, with 3 deep safeties (Burnett, Vaccaro and McMillian), this would give opposing QBs/OLs fits. Ahh, the possibilities are endless here with this pick.

**TRADE W/ST LOUIS (late 2nd [57], early 3rd from Jets [74], 4th [121], and 7th [218] for mid 2nd [48] and mid 3rd [80])

48. TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame
6'6" 255 lbs.

TT sees Tyler Eifert sliding into the middle of the 2nd round and, needing to draft a replacement for the (dearly?) departed Finley (for cap and, more or less, PR reasons), seizes the opportunity by trading up into the middle of the 2nd round and taking arguably the best TE in the draft. Eifert has the ability to extend play and high point the ball like no other in his class, and has finished 2nd in the NCAA in receiving yards amongst TEs despite not having a star QB to lob him the ball. His size and pass catching ability (guy catches everything thrown his way) makes him an immediate mismatch amongst DBs. Guy was literally uncoverable with Everett Golson throwing him the ball at ND, imagine him getting passes from arguably the best QB in the game.

**TRADE W/NEW ENGLAND (2013 2nd [61] for 2013 3rd [71], 5th [135] and 7th [199] round picks from Arizona)

61. DT/DE Sylvester Williams, UNC
6'3" 315 lbs.

Passing on the opportunity to draft Kawann Short after trading up into the middle of the 2nd round, TT sees Sly Williams, the best pass-rushing DT/DE available, sliding into the bottom of the 2nd due to the foot injury and trades back into the 2nd for him. Williams has an explosive first step and has a knack for getting around blockers with his swim move. He is also good for batting passes when he knows he can't get to the quarterback and in run support, racking up 13 TFL in 2012 with the Tar Heels. With Raji, Seymour and now Williams anchoring the front of their defense, the Packers DL is now set for the future, having all 3 starting DL with the ability to get pressure down the middle, and a nasty 3-headed monster rotation of Matthews, Perry and Okafor for safe measure. He can also play backup NT as depth behind Raji should Worthy return at any point next year after his ACL tear, and also gives us the option to cut Pickett and save even more cap room for resigning Matthews, Rodgers and Raji if he does return next year.

80. WR Stedman Bailey, West Virginia
5'10" 193 lbs.

After all the trade ups/downs in the first 2 rounds, TT finally drafts our replacement for Greg Jennings in the mid 3rd round. Bailey has dynamic hands, runs great routes, and makes a lot of YAC, a potential Victor Cruz in-the-making (he abused Morris Claiborne, arguably the best DB in college, last time they met 2 years ago). It also doesn't hurt that he ranks 3rd in NCAA in receiving yards, all while being a mid 3rd round pick. Packers get somewhat of a steal here and, in adding Tyler Eifert, were granted the luxury of taking a 3rd round WR. They get the best one remaining, and a more than capable replacement for Jennings.

84. C/OG Travis Frederick, Wisconsin
6'4" 338 lbs.

With Frederick still on the board, TT fills the void at C left behind following the retirement of Jeff Saturday, taking the bulking C/OG from Wisconsin. He is great at pass protection, and even better in run blocking, and provides our OL with that much-needed muscle. Our OL gets a big boost with both Sherrod and Bulaga coming back next year) as a guy with 1st round talent (and simultaneously fills a need) falls all the way to the bottom of the 3rd.

90. TE Travis Kelce, Cincinnati
6'6" 260 lbs.

TT nabs another explosive TE to pair with Tyler Eifert. The guy is an immediate mismatch with virtually any DB due to his size and, much like Eifert, is super fast, making a ton of YAC, and catches everything thrown his way. He also has great blocking ability, opening up the pass and running game even more. With Kelce and Eifert, MM gets a dangerous 2 TE set to work with (seriously, I think that combo could be the next Gronk/Hernandez), and helps neutralize a lot of the 2 deep safety sets he was faced with last year in the process. With not one, but 2 TEs that are already upgrades over Finley, MM has got to be creaming himself at this point in the draft, and we've still got 4 more rounds to go.

121. (COMP) ILB Kevin Reddick, UNC
6'2" 245 lbs.

TT finally drafts A.J. Hawk's replacement. Reddick gives the Pack that big-bodied, physical ILB that the 49ers like to punish offenses with, thus giving them another bit of that "nastiness" that is sorely lacking in GB's defense. He's also good in coverage and an effective blitzer to boot. This completes their linebacking core and GB's defense is pretty much set for the future.

154. WR Marcus Davis, Virginia Tech
6'4" 218 lbs.

DD's replacement. Marcus Davis' size and frame makes him a great red zone target for Aaron Rodgers. And like Eifert, he's better than his college stats indicate, racking up 985 yards in his senior year despite no star QB.

**TRADE W/WASHINGTON (6th [185] and MIA 7th [203] for 5th [157])

157. RB Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina
6'0" 232 lbs.

With extra picks to spare and just one glaring need at this point in the draft, TT trades back into the bottom of the 5th round with Washington (who have their star RB) and takes a gamble on Marcus Lattimore. Match made in heaven for the highly-talented youngin, not only *FINALLY* being drafted after that heart-breaking (and outright disgusting) injury that ended his junior season at SC, but being drafted by a team with a chance to compete for a SB. You're welcome.

217. (COMP) K Dustin Hopkins, FSU
6'2", 190 lbs.

With an abundance in picks, TT uses one of his many extra picks to draft a K to compete with Mason for the starting gig in training camp.

53 man Roster
Offense
QB: Aaron Rodgers | Graham Harrell | B.J. Coleman
RB: Marcus Lattimore | DuJuan Harris | Alex Green | James Starks
FB: John Kuhn
WR: Jordy Nelson | James Jones | Randall Cobb | Stedman Bailey | Marcus Davis
TE: Tyler Eifert | Travis Kelce | Andrew Quarless | Tom Crabtree
LT:Derek Sherrod | Marshall Newhouse
LG: T.J. Lang
C: Travis Frederick | Evan Dietrich-Smith
RG: Josh Sitton
RT: Bryan Bulaga | Don Barclay

Defense
LDE: Sylvester Williams | Mike Neal | Mike Daniels
NT: B.J. Raji | Ryan Pickett
RDE: Richard Seymour | Jerel Worthy* (PUP) | C.J. Wilson
LOLB: Nick Perry | Dezman Moses
LILB: Kevin Reddick | D.J. Smith
RILB: Desmond Bishop | Terrell Manning
ROLB: Clay Matthews | Alex Okafor (will play RDE opposite Nick Perry when using a 4-3 formation)
CB: Tramon Williams | Davon House | Jarrett Bush
SS: Morgan Burnett | M.J. Jennings | Sean Richardson
FS: Kenny Vaccaro | Jerron McMillian
CB: Sam Shields | Casey Hayward

Special Teams
K: Mason Crosby (or Dustin Hopkins, depending on who wins the starting gig in TC; if Crosby wins, Hopkins goes to PS)
P: Tim Masthay
LS: Brett Goode

**NOTE: IF Worthy returns next year (and it seems like a big "if" at this point), Pickett is cut and Williams is delegated to backup NT behind Raji**

WR Jeremy Ross, S Sean Richardson, RT Andrew Datko, LG Greg Van Rotten, C Garth Gerhart, CB James Mixon, S Chaz Powell and NT Jordan Miller delegated to PS.

Last edited by KManX89 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:11 pm; edited 6 times in total
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that was fun - thank you
CornOnDaCobb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems a little unrealistic to me. I doubt we sign a decent name in Seymour in free agency considering our already tight cap space and the fact that we have a lot of young players at the position. I also don't think we will trade a guy like Hawk, who while not an impressive player, stays on the field and isnt really a hole on our defense. Sure he could be improved upon but not with a 4th round rookie.
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was crazy.

No way that many trades happen. Vaccaro isn't the type of S we need. We need a CF-type. He's more of a prototype SS.

There's a lot of best scenaro here with Okafor, Eifert, even Sylv.

I also doubt we see a new DC.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Vacarro, but don't think he is the right fit as of now. But I would be pretty freakin stoked with this draft

Shanedorf wrote:
I'm a little surprised you didn't pick up on that given your unquestioned expertise in psychologically assessing people you've never even met.

PSN: ShiiNyIV
KManX89

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I think of when I think of a rotation with Matthews, Perry and Okafor:

Yup, a 3-headed monster of a rotation, indeed. Watch this highlight vid and tell me you wouldn't want this guy keeping Matthews fresh: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGo3BVi_7Do

Just think, with the right DC, that could be good for 50-60 sacks next year, I don't trust Capers to do that, though. With Romeo running the defense, OTOH, now that would be just unreal. Granted, he's not a good HC, but he's an awesome DC, and knows the 3-4. I would absolutely love to have Romeo come to GB (please make it happen, TT/MM).

Vaccaro is a FS with the Longhorns, BTW, which would actually be better for us because this allows us to move Burnett to his natural SS position. I've been saying for years that he's much better at SS, but OTOH, Woodson is better playing closer to the LOS, so with Woodson being moved to Safety, it wasn't possible last year. With Woodson retiring in my mock, this allows us to draft a natural FS (and the best one in the draft, I might add) and move Burnett to SS where he's more effective. I also thought about just drafting Eric Reid with our 26th pick (or possibly one of our 2nd round picks, since he might still be there in the 2nd round) instead of sacrificing so much to get Vaccaro at the top of the 1st round, but he's not that great in man coverage, Vaccaro is awesome at playing both man AND zone coverage.

I would also love it if we could draft Lotulelei with the 12th pick in this mock (DL is an area we desperately need to get "tougher" at), but you just know he's not gonna be there at that pick (he'll be a top 5 pick for sure), so I did the next best thing and got us a monster Safety and replacement for Woodson there. Plus, I think Raji, Sly and Seymour (and Worthy IF he comes back) would give our DL enough push to where we can focus on the secondary with this pick.

And yes, I had us get rid of Finley and draft 2 TEs (a 2 TE set with Eifert and Kelce could be scary good BTW). Like I said, we can only get 1 more year out of Finley with our cap situation, at best, why not get us a playmaker on defense (not just a "good player," but a playmaker, which is sorely needed, our only defensive playmakers are Matthews, Raji and maybe Hayward) out of it, and reload on TEs now and save the cap $$$? This also saves us the embarrassment of him shooting his mouth off in the media. IDK about any of you guys, but I'm tired of him making us look bad. He is just not "Packer people," never was.
byzr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm pretty sure i've had offseasons like this in madden... haha

i would be as excited as i've ever been going into a season if all this went down. Vaccaro is draft crush of mine as well as Eifert. i like the additions to defensive side of the ball. it all just seems to perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT doesn't trade future picks, also I don't think an NFL teams has moved that many picks/players in 1 off-season in NFL history, let alone the Packers who besides some simple draft day maneuvering are usually one of the quietest teams in the NFL. Nice draft judging by the prospects, but overall I'd probably end up making a drinking game out of an off-season like this as far as trades go.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
TT doesn't trade future picks, also I don't think an NFL teams has moved that many picks/players in 1 off-season in NFL history, let alone the Packers who besides some simple draft day maneuvering are usually one of the quietest teams in the NFL. Nice draft judging by the prospects, but overall I'd probably end up making a drinking game out of an off-season like this as far as trades go.

+1
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: KMan "Let's Get Nasty" Mock Draft Part Deux Reply with quote

[quote="KManX89"]Staff

Dom Capers fired as DC

We all knew this was coming, let's be honest. After laying a giant stinker 3 out of the last 4 years in crunch time, TT decides enough is enough and moves on.

Packers hire Romeo Crennel as new DC.

And once again, I stopped reading right here...

Thanks packerbacker87 for the sig!
I Am Rodgers wrote:
We traded MD Jennings for Julius Peppers. TT DA WHITE WIZARD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: