Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

KG's Mock Off-season #2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: KG's Mock Off-season #2 Reply with quote

Key Resigns:

DE William Hayes
SS Darian Stewart

Key Cuts:
RB Steven Jackson
OT Wayne Hunter

Free Agents:

DT Corey Williams (6’3 / 319) – Detroit

*Strictly a rotational player at this point. He’ll add veteran depth and another big body.

PR/KR Ted Ginn Jr. (5’11 / 180) – San Francisco

*Won’t offer much in the receiving game, but he’s still a good return man. Something we desperately need.

FB Greg Jones (6’1 / 263) – Jacksonville

* Very good lead blocker, something we’ll need with two young RBs.

Trade:

WR Kenny Britt (6’3 / 217) – Titans

*We send the Titans our 2013 4th round pick to reunite Fisher and Britt. No one questions his ability to be a #1 option, just his health and questionable off field behavior. It’s a risk the Rams should be willing to take.

Draft:

*Rams trade 2013 1st to Texans for 2013 1st, 3rd and 2014 6th

1. LB Jarvis Jones (6’3 / 244) – Georgia

*One of the best pure talents’ in the draft. He’s a dynamic pass rusher with scheme flexibility. Complete package you look for in a LB (coverage and tackling). He could fall to us with the medicals.

1. TE Zach Ertz (6’6 / 252) – Stanford

*Another weapon for Sam. He has good athleticism for the position and above average hands. He could become a nightmare matchup for defenses. He needs some refining as a blocker, but he has the ability. One of the better “complete” TE prospects to come out.

2. FS Jonathan Cyprien (6’0 / 209) – Florida International

*This guy is flying up draft boards after his showing. He’s from a small school with limited exposure, but he has immense talent. Versatile, secure tackles, athletic, big hitter, above average range, diagnoses well. The best safety in the draft IMO.

3. OT Chris Faulk (6’4 / 322) – LSU

*Injury really derailed him this past season, as he was thought to be potential 1st round prospect. He is a mauler in the run game. Doesn’t possess the frame most look for in a LT, but he can play there. Will be a good swing tackle and insurance to Saffold. Easily could develop into a high end starter at either OT spot with right coaching.

3. OG Jordan Mills (6’5 / 315) – Louisiana Tech

*Relentless motor and good size/strength. Offers versatility across the line (has played OG,LT and RT). I think he’s better off inside. Seems like a good fit at LG-as he excels in pass blocking roles.

5. OT Ricky Wagner (6’5 / 323) – Wisconsin

* Snead likes to double dip in the draft and here it is. We take another OT with this pick to further sure up our O-line. Not the most athletic guy, which will relegate him to the RT spot. He’s excellent in the run game, as he locks on and it’s over. Very heady as well; he can be a starter from day one.

6. CB Trey Wilson (5’11 / 193) – Vanderbilt

* Adds depth to the secondary. Pretty decent in coverage and has a good frame to match-up with NFL receivers.

7. RB Montel Harris (5’10 / 207) – Boston College

* Powerful, compact back that can also catch the ball out of the backfield. He’s had injuries and a lot of use already. One has one gear, could stick on the roster if needed.

2013 Key Depth Chart:

* BOLD denotes new additions

QB: Sam Bradford / Austin Davis
RB: Daryl Richardson / Isaiah Pead
FB: Greg Jones
TE: Zach Ertz / Lance Kendricks
WR: Kenny Britt / Brian Quick / Austin Pettis
WR: Chris Givens / Titus Young Sr. / Ted Ginn Jr.
OT: Rodger Saffold / Chris Faulk
LG: Jordan Mills / Joe Barksdale
C: Scott Wells
RG: Harvey Dahl / Rok Watkins
RT: Ricky Wagner

DE: Robert Quinn / Eugene Sims
DT: Mike Brockers / Corey Williams
DT: Kendall Langford
DE: Chris Long / William Hayes
WLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SLB: Jarvis Jones
CB: Cortland Finnegan / Trumaine Johnson
CB: Janoris Jenkins / Trey Wilson
FS: Jonathan Cyprien
SS: Quintin Mikell / Darian Stewart

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: John Heckert
KR: Tedd Ginn Jr.
PR: Ted Ginn Jr.

TommyC376 on the sig...
holt_bruce81

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the Jarvis Jones pick obviously, a top 5 player at #16 is a steal. And I really love Zach Ertz in this draft, my favorite TE in this draft by far. And Cyprien is a guy obviously on everyone's radar now and the more I learn about him the more I like him.

Not sure how I feel about selecting three straight offensive lineman, but I understand why. Fix the line once and for all. And I do think Rick Wagner is a bit underrated.

And talk about taking risk....Young Sr and Britt on the same team Laughing
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the direction as its fairly innovative, but i just dont like Faulk and Wagner as prospects.
nodefense

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it Very Happy
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
I like the direction as its fairly innovative, but i just dont like Faulk and Wagner as prospects.
Wagner i get, but as far as purely a prospect Faulk is a damn good option. He was once thought to be the best OT prospect who could come out this year, and even though his stock had stared to settle lower in the first, he was still a Top 20 guy, and its only his injury that has really dropped him.
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the whole mock;

Dont think we even get to sniff Jarvis. He is a Top 10 lock to me, I actually dont think there is amuch of a chance he gets past Cleveland at #7. And the only way he is down at #16 is because the Spinal Stenosis is a major concern for every team (i.e. the medical doesnt check out and they think hes only got like 3 years to play). If thats the case I cant see us grabbing him there. I really love him as a prospect, but there is still a question of how he would fit into a 4-3, and if you throw health concerns ontop of that then there is little chance he is a Ram.

Love Ertz, actually was thinking about him in my next mock. He is a special kind of weapon at TE, which is something Sam could really use. Last season I didnt see the point of getting another TE, mostly because Schotty never used his 2nd TE as anything other than a Blocker, much less his 3rd TE going out in routes in NY. But this year he had Mulligan & McNiell out on routes all the time. If thats going to be a new wringle in his philosophy, then an investment in a Special TE is a great idea. That allowed Kendricks to continue to be the Blocker, but also be the "other TE" who teams often forget about. Lance is a much more potent weapon in those situations that the 2 we were using this year, while lance was stuck blocking.

not sure how I feel about Cyprien. Yes he is an impressive prospect, and I love how he flies around and delivers big hits but there are 2 major concerns. First is his level of competition he was good against it, but didnt dominate it like I would have much rather seen for who he was playing. While he helped himself out at the Senior Bowl, he is just such an instinctive player I think he over matched alot of guys who were thinking too much and not comfortable in the situation. Still a plus for him, but not a massive shift. The other is that he is much more of a true Strong Safety, which is where we have Mikell playing right now. That was the bane of this defense last year, that we didnt have an semblince of a free safety on the field. If we would move on from Mikell, and get a FS prospect also, this is a pick I would really like.

Love the Faulk pick too. He is the perfect type of OT that I think we should draft. A guy who can step right in at RT for 2013, but also has the skills to grow into a LT. This not only gives us insurance for an injury to Saffold but this also is a move for 2014 as well, encase Saffold bombs and isnt back, or he blows up and is looking for a major deal. If Faulk ends up in the middle of the 3rd he would be a massive steal. I think post Combine/workouts if he can get full ones in he could push himself into the 3th OT taken in the first. But if he cant, the 3rd is possible.

While what you say about Mills is correct in terms of his skills (motor/strength) I have always seen him more as an OT than a Guard. He doesnt look like he can pull very well for kickout blocks. He is more of a RT prospect, who could possibly fit in at Guard if you need to get him in there. There are many more true Guard prospects I would rather have, and even other Tackle prospects who could be better guards than him. I like the idea tho.

Bleh on Ricky Wagner. He is steadily falling for a reason, he is completely maxed out as a prospect. What you see is what you will get, which at this point is a mediocre/replacement level RT in the NFL. He has made his name by dominating Bigger/slower DEs who he can just overpower, but in the NFL those bigger DEs are also quick and are just as strong as you. If he is ever more than a swing tackle I will be surprised.

Always like secondary depth late in the draft, but unless we are getting a potential "game changer" RB in this draft, I dont think we are taking one at all. With both Pead & Richardson there is no reason to.
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holt_bruce81 wrote:
Love the Jarvis Jones pick obviously, a top 5 player at #16 is a steal. And I really love Zach Ertz in this draft, my favorite TE in this draft by far. And Cyprien is a guy obviously on everyone's radar now and the more I learn about him the more I like him.

Not sure how I feel about selecting three straight offensive lineman, but I understand why. Fix the line once and for all. And I do think Rick Wagner is a bit underrated.

And talk about taking risk....Young Sr and Britt on the same team Laughing

Yah, I understand it might be extreme to take 3 O-Line picks back to back, but I think we have the pick flexibilty to do this. Plus, like you said it would go a long way toward shoring up our O-line situation in a cost effective way....

As for Britt and Young, I'd like to see the Rams take a similair approach with these two as they did Jenkins. Really laid things out for him and helped him to get his head straight. These two just add immense talent to the roster if they can keep it together...

TommyC376 on the sig...
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
Dont think we even get to sniff Jarvis. He is a Top 10 lock to me, I actually dont think there is amuch of a chance he gets past Cleveland at #7. And the only way he is down at #16 is because the Spinal Stenosis is a major concern for every team (i.e. the medical doesnt check out and they think hes only got like 3 years to play). If thats the case I cant see us grabbing him there. I really love him as a prospect, but there is still a question of how he would fit into a 4-3, and if you throw health concerns ontop of that then there is little chance he is a Ram.

I realize it's a slim chance that he drops out of the top ten, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. The health issue is really the only shot we have, as top ten teams tend to shy away from these guys and some teams will just drop him from their board all together. Personally, I think a lot of people are overly worried. They see a recent guy like Marcus McNeill and think everyone will be like him. Truth is, there have been several players with this issue who have had long and productive careers before the issue made them call it quits. Perfect example is Michael Irvin...

He's just too good of a talnet to pass on if he made it to us. I think he'd transition well to a 4-3 SLB and situational pass-rusher. I know our next DC could find a way to get the most out of his talent...

StLunatic88 wrote:
Love Ertz, actually was thinking about him in my next mock. He is a special kind of weapon at TE, which is something Sam could really use. Last season I didnt see the point of getting another TE, mostly because Schotty never used his 2nd TE as anything other than a Blocker, much less his 3rd TE going out in routes in NY. But this year he had Mulligan & McNiell out on routes all the time. If thats going to be a new wringle in his philosophy, then an investment in a Special TE is a great idea. That allowed Kendricks to continue to be the Blocker, but also be the "other TE" who teams often forget about. Lance is a much more potent weapon in those situations that the 2 we were using this year, while lance was stuck blocking.

Agree with your entire post. Ertz just screams Jason Witten to me...

StLunatic88 wrote:
not sure how I feel about Cyprien. Yes he is an impressive prospect, and I love how he flies around and delivers big hits but there are 2 major concerns. First is his level of competition he was good against it, but didnt dominate it like I would have much rather seen for who he was playing. While he helped himself out at the Senior Bowl, he is just such an instinctive player I think he over matched alot of guys who were thinking too much and not comfortable in the situation. Still a plus for him, but not a massive shift. The other is that he is much more of a true Strong Safety, which is where we have Mikell playing right now. That was the bane of this defense last year, that we didnt have an semblince of a free safety on the field. If we would move on from Mikell, and get a FS prospect also, this is a pick I would really like

Just love what he brings to the table, lot of the other safeties in this draft have glaring holes in one or more aspects of their game. I really see him as a guy who is well-rounded in almost everything he's asked to do. He also seems very cerebrial to the game, with great anticipation. Which is somewhat of a surprise for the level of competition he faced, as a lot of small school guys need to adjust to higher competition and then again to the NFL level...

I agree though, long-term I think he'd be a bigger impact at SS. I'd eventually like to move him to that role (as soon as next off-season), but I just don't see it happening this year. I don't think Fisher is gonna roll out two rookie safeties and I don't think a lot of these quality, starting calibur FS free agents will make it to the market. Like you know, can't fix everything in one off-season...

StLunatic88 wrote:
Love the Faulk pick too. He is the perfect type of OT that I think we should draft. A guy who can step right in at RT for 2013, but also has the skills to grow into a LT. This not only gives us insurance for an injury to Saffold but this also is a move for 2014 as well, encase Saffold bombs and isnt back, or he blows up and is looking for a major deal. If Faulk ends up in the middle of the 3rd he would be a massive steal. I think post Combine/workouts if he can get full ones in he could push himself into the 3th OT taken in the first. But if he cant, the 3rd is possible.

Yah, I think whatever teams gets him in the 2nd-3rd round is gonna get an absolute steal. Hopefuuly, he makes it that far as you've eluded too...

StLunatic88 wrote:
While what you say about Mills is correct in terms of his skills (motor/strength) I have always seen him more as an OT than a Guard. He doesnt look like he can pull very well for kickout blocks. He is more of a RT prospect, who could possibly fit in at Guard if you need to get him in there. There are many more true Guard prospects I would rather have, and even other Tackle prospects who could be better guards than him. I like the idea tho.

Fair enough, I still believe he could be very good from the LG spot...

StLunatic88 wrote:
Bleh on Ricky Wagner. He is steadily falling for a reason, he is completely maxed out as a prospect. What you see is what you will get, which at this point is a mediocre/replacement level RT in the NFL. He has made his name by dominating Bigger/slower DEs who he can just overpower, but in the NFL those bigger DEs are also quick and are just as strong as you. If he is ever more than a swing tackle I will be surprised.

I'm higher than most on Wagner. I know he's pretty much maxed out physically, but I don't see any real issue with it. He's got plenty of size/strength to be successful at RT. Just need some coaching to refine his technique. I think he could shock a lot of people and become an effective starter right away. Either way though, if he ends up as just a back-up swing tackle, I'd take it from a mid 5th round pick...

StLunatic88 wrote:
Always like secondary depth late in the draft, but unless we are getting a potential "game changer" RB in this draft, I dont think we are taking one at all. With both Pead & Richardson there is no reason to.

Agreed on the DB depth. It's always needed. Yah, I kinda agree with you on taking a RB late. Probably not gonna happen. I originally had a QB in this spot, but changed it for some random reason. Doing it again I'd probably mock someone else in...

TommyC376 on the sig...
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm a big fan of Jarvis Jones and if he happened to slip to #16 (which I find to be highly unlikely), I'd be very excited to take him.

I'm not a fan of a TE in the first this year. Your reasoning is sound, but I just do not think that is the best use of our 1st rounder.

I do like Cyprien, however, I don't like him over some safeties that could also be had in the 2nd, namely Swearinger. I'd much prefer him personally and think he transitions into the FS position much more smoothly then Cyprien and performs at a higher level.

LOVE the Faulk pick. I too have him in my mock I started as he could be the steal of the draft. Also like Mills and the versatility he offers.

I'm down on Wagner, but, in the 5th, I don't really have any issues with him. Like secondary depth and actually like the Harris pick.
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatlyner wrote:
I'm not a fan of a TE in the first this year. Your reasoning is sound, but I just do not think that is the best use of our 1st rounder.

Fair enough, I can see why people have doubts. However, I'm not taking any TE that isn't named Zach Ertz in rounds 1-2. Ertz is just an immense prospect at the psotion IMO...

Flatlyner wrote:
I do like Cyprien, however, I don't like him over some safeties that could also be had in the 2nd, namely Swearinger. I'd much prefer him personally and think he transitions into the FS position much more smoothly then Cyprien and performs at a higher level.
[/quote]

Yah, like I stated in a response earlier. I'd like to eventually move Cyprien to the SS role. I see that as a position he can thrive in for the long-term. Right now though, I think we're not gonna see two rookie safeties starting in 2013. Cypren's versatility allows us to evaluate and possibly get a better player at the FS spot in 2014...

TommyC376 on the sig...
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgarrett12486 wrote:
Flatlyner wrote:

Fair enough, I can see why people have doubts. However, I'm not taking any TE that isn't named Zach Ertz in rounds 1-2. Ertz is just an immense prospect at the psotion IMO...

Flatlyner wrote:

Yah, like I stated in a response earlier. I'd like to eventually move Cyprien to the SS role. I see that as a position he can thrive in for the long-term. Right now though, I think we're not gonna see two rookie safeties starting in 2013. Cypren's versatility allows us to evaluate and possibly get a better player at the FS spot in 2014...

The thing is, Mikell is a SS first. So, given that info, should we not be doing whatever we can to get a FS that can start this season, rather then moving Mikell to a position he is not best utilized in? I like Cyrien, but, I like Swearinger starting at FS next season more IMO.
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason

Last edited by Flatlyner on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatlyner wrote:
The thing is, Mikell is a SS first. So, given that info, should we not be doing whatever we can to get a FS that can start this season, rather then moving Mikell to a position he is not best utilized in? I like Cyrien, but, I like Swearinger starting at FS next season more IMO.

I think you misunderstood what I'm saying. I know Mikell is the SS in our system. Cyprien has the versatility to play in the FS role at the current. Eventually, (as soon as next season when Mikell's deal is up) he should be moved back to SS where he'll be better suited and have more impact. We can look re-assess and look at potential options again for the FS spot. Don't see us fixing both safety spots long-term in one off-season...

I know you keep mentioning Swearinger, but I'm not convinced he'll be there with our 2nd round pick...

TommyC376 on the sig...
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgarrett12486 wrote:
Flatlyner wrote:

I think you misunderstood what I'm saying. I know Mikell is the SS in our system. Cyprien has the versatility to play in the FS role at the current. Eventually, (as soon as next season when Mikell's deal is up) he should be moved back to SS where he'll be better suited and have more impact. We can look re-assess and look at potential options again for the FS spot. Don't see us fixing both safety spots long-term in one off-season...

I know you keep mentioning Swearinger, but I'm not convinced he'll be there with our 2nd round pick...

Ok, was not aware you were doing this with the thought that he would be already gone.
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: