Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Random Ravens Thoughts Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 77, 78, 79  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruisers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Pierce going to start splitting carries w/ Rice now or at least take a serious chunk, even more than towards the end of this year in 2013?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so Bruisers. He is a better pure runner than Rice. Rice is probably more of a home run threat and offers more as a receiver but Pierce seemed to gain yards more consistently than Rice and if he continues to do that he will see the ball more and more.

That also has the added bonus of keeping Rice fresh which makes him even more of a threat.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you Ravens guys noticed but it seemed Rice was picking the wrong direction after he hit the holes, where if he went the other way he coulda got another 10 yds or so, a lot this year. Must be nice to have 2 RBs, we bring in a new guy none of you have ever heard of each week.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Pierce is a better runner than Rice. But I do expect them to split carries. I think you need that to keep from running your superstar back into the ground. I look at all the touches Arian Foster is getting over in Houston and I think it could very well bite them in the azz soon.

Free Ray Rice
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
I don't think Pierce is a better runner than Rice. But I do expect them to split carries. I think you need that to keep from running your superstar back into the ground. I look at all the touches Arian Foster is getting over in Houston and I think it could very well bite them in the azz soon.

And I don't understand why he gets so many when they run a good quality system for RBs to have success and they have a very good backup RB at their disposal.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:

I'm interested to hear why you think Rice is a better runner than Pierce. The stats backup my observations that Pierce seems to pick up yards more consistenlty as he averages 1/2 yard more per carry than Rice. I see Rice get stopped for no gain and 1 yard gains more than Pierce who seems to be able to push the pile for 2 and 3 yard gains.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the OL springs Rice he is one of the toughest runners in the game to get on the ground. So shifty. Explosive. Ridiculous balance.

Free Ray Rice
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
If the OL springs Rice he is one of the toughest runners in the game to get on the ground. So shifty. Explosive. Ridiculous balance.
I guess it depends on what your definition of being a better runner is. I agree that Ray Rice is better in space and that when the the OL springs him, he's dominant. But to me, being the better runner means being the more productive back when the offensive line doesn't give you a tremendous hole to work with. And I think that's where Pierce outshines Rice. Whereas Rice is a guy who will get a bunch of 2-3 yard runs and then bust a 30 yard rush once in a while, Pierce is more likely to grind out 4-6 yards a pop, and is also a home run threat himself as well, though maybe not with the same kind of explosiveness that Rice is.

Pierce is more powerful and seems to diagnose his running lanes a little quicker than Rice, who often seems to pause a bit in the backfield deciding whether to cut back or to run through the designed route. That lets him hit some home runs but it also gives the defense a chance to wrap him up right there.

Rice's elusiveness and quickness still makes him the far-superior receiver out of the backfield (and the couple of screen pass 1st down plays he had these playoffs were all huge plays), but as a runner I prefer Pierce. I can say without much hesitation that throughout the playoffs I felt more comfortable on obvious run downs when Pierce was in the backfield compared to Rice.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the small sample size at the end of this year, Pierce was definitely the better runner. He was the bigger home run threat too, making big runs at a much higher rate. However, the end of this season was the worst I've ever seen Rice run. The 4th and 29 play got him some buzz, but this was definitely a down year for him. With Pierce's emergence, Rice should be very motivated to come in at top shape and shine next year.

Pierce was clearly a great pickup and is one of the most exciting players to watch run. My only concern was that he seemed to get banged up a little too easy.

Last edited by wackywabbit on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well one way you could look at it is that it's nice to see that the team can succeed without relying on Rice to tear it up. He wasn't even a big factor as a receiver after Caldwell took over as the offensive coordinator (which isn't necessarily a bad thing since there are other guys getting open now). I think Rice will be fine if/when he drops some of the weight he gained last offseason. Now that Pierce has shown he's a quality runner Rice or the team shouldn't be worried about him having to carry the bulk of the load.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
In the small sample size at the end of this year, Pierce was definitely the better runner. He was the bigger home run threat too, making big runs at a much higher rate. However, the end of this season was the worst I've ever seen Rice run. The 4th and 29 play got him some buzz, but this was definitely a down year for him. With Pierce's emergence, Rice should be very motivated to come in at top shape and shine next year.

Pierce was clearly a great pickup and is one of the most exciting players to watch run. My only concern was that he seemed to get banged up a little too easy.

It's a concern for me as well, but remember that Pierce hasn't been in an NFL conditioning program for a full offseason. Remember that Rice was also pretty banged up as a runner in his rookie season as well, but has been pretty durable ever since.

And this production from Pierce just further backs up my statement earlier in the year that I felt "comfortable" with our backup runners if Rice were to go down. Pierce is just such a great runner and I think Bobby Rainey brings a nice skillset as a pass catcher.

Like c0 mentioned, I think it'll be important for Rice to come into the next season by losing a good 5-10 lbs of that bulk and focusing more on being more explosive as a receiver and as a runner via his first step. It was clear that all that bulk really slowed him down. He probably doesn't break that tackle from Mayo without that bulk, but in most cases, it has made him less effective this year.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish they made like a $400 fan ring. DTMB wants a Super Bowl ring dammit.

If I ever get rich Ima look for one at that Pawn Stars shop.

Free Ray Rice
Go_Ravens2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone found cheap Superbowl gear anywhere? Looking to get some stuff, but don't want to pay the absurdly high prices. Idk if it is allowed to post links to sites, so if you know a good place, just PM me. Thanks

GO RAVENS!!
sp6488

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_Ravens2 wrote:
Has anyone found cheap Superbowl gear anywhere? Looking to get some stuff, but don't want to pay the absurdly high prices. Idk if it is allowed to post links to sites, so if you know a good place, just PM me. Thanks

Nfl shop doesn't have authentic raven sb jerseys!!!! Just screen prints...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
I wish they made like a $400 fan ring. DTMB wants a Super Bowl ring dammit.

If I ever get rich Ima look for one at that Pawn Stars shop.

Do you want to wear it or display it? I've seen replica's for under $200 that would look amazing in a glass case but would turn your finger green if you tried to wear it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 77, 78, 79  Next
Page 20 of 79

Jump to: