Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Looking Ahead: 2013 NFL Prospects Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
There's three LT prospects who are going at least top 20(Joeckel, L. Johnson, Fisher). Then there is Oday Aboushi who has 31" inch arms and got abused at the Senior Bowl. Terron Armstead is an interesting prospect. Super athletic. Has the size. Small school prospect and probably a 3rd or 4th rounder. D.J. Fluker could be a candidate to flip to LT. Monster wing span and strong as hell but he probably doesn't have the foot speed to go against speed rushers.

Menelik Watson plays RT now because I think he is fairly new to football. But he was good at RT and has reportedly ran a 4.7 and played college basketball. So he has elite athleticism and may be able to play LT when he has some more experience in the sport.

The super sleeper is Chris Faulk. A really athletic 320+ with long arms. I thought he was a top 5 pick before he got injured and now he is probably a 3rd rounder at best. I don't know the extent of his injury but he would be a monster steal if he returns to his Sophomore form.

LaAdrian Waddle could be a decent late round pick.

Yeah... I like Chris Faulk as well. I heard he was ahead of schedule in his recovery and he'd be a guy that'd interest me in the 2nd round.

I still like Aboushi. He has the pedigree coming from Virginia and looked really good as a pass protector in the regular season. One week at the senior bowl didn't lift him, but I still trust his athleticism, tenacity, and technique to prevail given more time to gel with his teammates.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
There's three LT prospects who are going at least top 20(Joeckel, L. Johnson, Fisher). Then there is Oday Aboushi who has 31" inch arms and got abused at the Senior Bowl. Terron Armstead is an interesting prospect. Super athletic. Has the size. Small school prospect and probably a 3rd or 4th rounder. D.J. Fluker could be a candidate to flip to LT. Monster wing span and strong as hell but he probably doesn't have the foot speed to go against speed rushers.

Menelik Watson plays RT now because I think he is fairly new to football. But he was good at RT and has reportedly ran a 4.7 and played college basketball. So he has elite athleticism and may be able to play LT when he has some more experience in the sport.

The super sleeper is Chris Faulk. A really athletic 320+ with long arms. I thought he was a top 5 pick before he got injured and now he is probably a 3rd rounder at best. I don't know the extent of his injury but he would be a monster steal if he returns to his Sophomore form.

Yeah... I like Chris Faulk as well. I heard he was ahead of schedule in his recovery and he'd be a guy that'd interest me in the 2nd round.

I still like Aboushi. He has the pedigree coming from Virginia and looked really good as a pass protector in the regular season. One week at the senior bowl didn't lift him, but I still trust his athleticism, tenacity, and technique to prevail given more time to gel with his teammates.

Yeah, but 31" arms is enough for me to say no to him at LT. Long arms is probably the first thing I look for in a LT prospect. I think I'd much rather take a chance on any of the other guys DTMB mentioned. Menelik Watson is probably the guy who intrigues me the most right now. The guy is a huge athlete. Give him some time and I'd imagine he could be molded into a good LT. I honestly think I'd rather see us try to move him to LT, rather than a guy like Fluker who has played RT for a longer time and has gotten comfortable there (and Fluker just fits as a RT better). Plus the switch for Watson just makes sense because he has the size and the athleticism.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
I asked a few pages ago, but nobody responded... so now that we're on the topic of safeties, thoughts on DJ Swearinger? From the film I've seen, while he's not exactly a true FS, I think he has enough skills to play FS in our system and IMO, he plays like a Raven.

I honesty haven't seen his film but I'll comment when I get a chance to.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
I asked a few pages ago, but nobody responded... so now that we're on the topic of safeties, thoughts on DJ Swearinger? From the film I've seen, while he's not exactly a true FS, I think he has enough skills to play FS in our system and IMO, he plays like a Raven.

From what I've seen he's a very good college player, but I don't know / don't think he has the long speed to play in the NFL.

Does anyone believe in Christian Thompson?
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAVINGMADD wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Yeah, but 31" arms is enough for me to say no to him at LT. Long arms is probably the first thing I look for in a LT prospect. I think I'd much rather take a chance on any of the other guys DTMB mentioned. Menelik Watson is probably the guy who intrigues me the most right now. The guy is a huge athlete. Give him some time and I'd imagine he could be molded into a good LT. I honestly think I'd rather see us try to move him to LT, rather than a guy like Fluker who has played RT for a longer time and has gotten comfortable there (and Fluker just fits as a RT better). Plus the switch for Watson just makes sense because he has the size and the athleticism.

I think you guys must be confusing Aboushi with someone else because he definitely measured in with 32 7/8" arm length. That number is about average to slightly above average for a LT. Same with his other numbers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Brian Winters and David Bakhtiari are two guys I want to see at the Combine. I think they could both be had in the 3rd round, and could be good values there.

In regard to Faulk, if he can work out for teams in Indy, I think he's probably an early-mid 2nd rounder. I'd love to see him fall to us at pick 62, and might part with a 4th to move up for him.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Brian Winters a lot to move to guard. Don't know if he has the ideal length for tackle but the dude is nasty.

Free Ray Rice
coordinator0

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:

From what I've seen he's a very good college player, but I don't know / don't think he has the long speed to play in the NFL.

Does anyone believe in Christian Thompson?

Yeah I worry about Swearinger's range in the NFL. That's not something I want to worry about when he's playing next to Pollard.

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
I like Brian Winters a lot to move to guard. Don't know if he has the ideal length for tackle but the dude is nasty.

Yep, pretty much everything I've read about Winters has him moving to guard at the next level. If the Ravens want to take an offensive lineman with a fairly high pick it needs to be a guy that can undoubtedly play LT.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This season has been so engaging, even before the playoff run, that I'm way behind on draft knowledge. I read a mock first round and most of the names sounded completely foreign.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After starting my more extensive look at the MLB prospects I've revised my opinion of Ogletree. I don't want him on the Ravens at all. He has his strengths but I really don't like his fit at the WILB position on this defense. To me he's purely a WLB in a 4-3 scheme that could maybe play MLB in a system like what Chicago runs (or used to run) where he would drop back a ton. I'm surprised he's even listed as a MLB on a lot of draft sites considering how much he lined up at OLB with Georgia. In any role that asks Ogletree to sift through traffic on the interior he's going to fail. His speed attacking the outside is superb and he's a pretty good blitzer from the edges but he's not good enough in the other aspects that are needed for any sort of ILB position in my opinion. I've wanted Baltimore to get a more coverage-oriented LB for a while but Ogletree isn't the answer. He looks like a safety playing linebacker, not a linebacker that was once a safety. Pass.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
After starting my more extensive look at the MLB prospects I've revised my opinion of Ogletree. I don't want him on the Ravens at all. He has his strengths but I really don't like his fit at the WILB position on this defense. To me he's purely a WLB in a 4-3 scheme that could maybe play MLB in a system like what Chicago runs (or used to run) where he would drop back a ton. I'm surprised he's even listed as a MLB on a lot of draft sites considering how much he lined up at OLB with Georgia. In any role that asks Ogletree to sift through traffic on the interior he's going to fail. His speed attacking the outside is superb and he's a pretty good blitzer from the edges but he's not good enough in the other aspects that are needed for any sort of ILB position in my opinion. I've wanted Baltimore to get a more coverage-oriented LB for a while but Ogletree isn't the answer. He looks like a safety playing linebacker, not a linebacker that was once a safety. Pass.

This was exactly my opinion of him... I actually think I used these same, or very similar words to describe him.

But you make a great point about him being a good fit for a team using him as a 43 WLB.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:

I still like Ogletree, though you have to consider him a project, he has great athleticism, plays violently, and is excellent against the pass. His struggles against the run can be explain one by the fact that he is a former safety, and two by the fact that with the exception of the Alabama game he played with two massive defensive tackles in front of him who occupied all blockers.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:
I still like Ogletree, though you have to consider him a project, he has great athleticism, plays violently, and is excellent against the pass.

That's another thing I forgot to mention. Ogletree does play pretty hard but he almost always hits high when he tackles. He's not a very good tackler either, although hitting high does play a part in that. I kind of got the impression he's like Bernard Pollard playing linebacker, except Pollard is more physical and knows how to tackle. Like I said Ogletree does have his strengths and intriguing qualities but overall he's not what the Ravens need.

Quote:
His struggles against the run can be explain one by the fact that he is a former safety, and two by the fact that with the exception of the Alabama game he played with two massive defensive tackles in front of him who occupied all blockers.

I don't care if Ogletree is a former safety, he's not good against the run at all. It's not just below average bad. It's terrible bad and he can't work through blockers at all. Sure Ogletree might eventually develop the instincts to do so but I'm not betting on that in the first couple of rounds where he's almost definitely going. The second point you made should only have helped him.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't get talked about as much, but we need help at NT/ DT just as much as at ILB and FS. It was the most glaring weakness on our team this year. Cody has been a disappointment and we don't know how much to expect out of Tyson.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
alfalcone wrote:
I still like Ogletree, though you have to consider him a project, he has great athleticism, plays violently, and is excellent against the pass.

That's another thing I forgot to mention. Ogletree does play pretty hard but he almost always hits high when he tackles. He's not a very good tackler either, although hitting high does play a part in that. I kind of got the impression he's like Bernard Pollard playing linebacker, except Pollard is more physical and knows how to tackle. Like I said Ogletree does have his strengths and intriguing qualities but overall he's not what the Ravens need.

Quote:
His struggles against the run can be explain one by the fact that he is a former safety, and two by the fact that with the exception of the Alabama game he played with two massive defensive tackles in front of him who occupied all blockers.

I don't care if Ogletree is a former safety, he's not good against the run at all. It's not just below average bad. It's terrible bad and he can't work through blockers at all. Sure Ogletree might eventually develop the instincts to do so but I'm not betting on that in the first couple of rounds where he's almost definitely going. The second point you made should only have helped him.

And our eyes saw the same thing again.

Man... I swear that's the EXACT thing that I thought of Ogletree. He just looked like Bernard Pollard being forced to play ILB.

And this whole notion that he's a former safety and just needs time to 'develop', etc... is how teams draft busts in the first round. No, if you're being taken in the first round as an ILB.. you need to have great instincts. To be quite frank, Tree' has the instincts of a Tavares Gooden. I swear, in EVERY film of his (I've seen them all) he consistently sits there and waits for plays to come to him. Every now and again, you'll see him attack the LOS but its not often... and you can tell that he doesn't feel comfortable doing it. He sucks at taking on blockers and shedding them.

Tree is a good pass defender, but that's about it. He has massive DTs keeping him clean. Without them, his biggest weaknesses are further exposed. He has long arms, true, but he also allows blockers to get into his chest FAR too often which simply makes his long arms useless. His tackling technique isn't Zach Brown bad (from last year), but he's also not as explosive an athlete as Brown. I honestly don't get the hype for Ogletree at all. He makes a lot of tackles 4-7 yards down the field while his huge DTs occupy blockers... and yet he's looked at as the second coming of Patrick Willis or something.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 21 of 38

Jump to: