Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Free Agency General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 87, 88, 89  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Bigby0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
PackersGuy wrote:
2Bigby0 wrote:
Quote:
i was refering to cooter22 comment on newhouse having give up 10 sacks and im very surprised he olny gave up 10enough.marshall newhouse is a piece of junk i dont care what anybody has to say...fight your own fights bro...

'Bro', do you have any facts to support your argument besides your eyes? What makes Marshall Newhouse a pile of junk? I'm not sure what's worse, your arguments or your grammar. Just sayin'.

Well exscuse me I didn't no I had to go to grammer school to post on here...

Marshall Newhouse

2011 13 starts. Allowed 11.5 sacks
2012 16 starts allowed 10.0 sacks

When he is not giving up sacks he is letting d lineman wiff by him he also 6'4 wich is below avarage just like his talent in the NFL. Enough stats for you? Is that also enough grammer?

A good chunk of those sacks credited to Newhouse are the ones actually on Rodgers

People also need to remember that we throw the ball far more than the average team. We are tossing the pill 30-40 times a game to win football games. Constantly in shotgun formation with multiple receivers. Defenses are pinning their ears back coming at Rodgers every play.

Fact is, Newhouse is consistently lining up one on one against the opposing teams number one pass rusher every Sunday. He ranked in the top 20 of pass blocking efficiency. Of course he is going to give up more sacks than guys, because we throw the ball more. Same thing goes for hurries. I like Newhouse, just not as our LT. If I have my choice between Bulaga and Newhouse, I'm putting Bulaga at LT because he's the better player. If Sherrod starts OTA's and goes through a full training camp, we might have a battle brewing between all three players.

Again, our tackle position if very far from being bad. We have two first round talents and a guy that has proven to be a solid starter. Plus, we have options with Barclay whether we keep him outside or inside, and we have the developmental project in Andrew Datko. We've got a lot of quality football players at tackle when we are completely healthy.
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackersGuy wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:
PackersGuy wrote:
2Bigby0 wrote:
PackersGuy wrote:
2Bigby0 wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
He listed OT as our 2nd biggest need. With depth like Bulaga, Sherrod, Newhouse and Barclay, I wouldn't even consider it a need at all, much less a priority.

Yet Marshall Newhouse graded out as one of the worst offensive tackles in the NFL last year, and Derek Sherrod is coming back from a major injury. Our left tackle position regardless of how people want to sugarcoat it, the left tackle position is a HUGE question mark. Bryan Bulaga, when healthy, looked like a top 5 RT. Do we want to move him from there? And while our
run game improved with Don Barclay in the lineup afterBryan Bulaga went on the IR, he's still an avera
ge lineman at best. While I wouldn't grade it as a huge
need, I wouldn't write off at all. If the right offensive lineman was on the board, I'd have no qualms about taking another offensive tackle.

Marshall isn't that bad, but he's not that good either. To me, he's your 'run of the mill' average left tackle. He'd be better suited at RT. He actually graded out OK in pass blocking effiency. Amongst all the starting tackles in the NFL he ranked 19th. That's all starting tackles, not just left tackles.

I think it's VERY likely we move Bulaga to LT. I think he'll be a natural fit and he will be quite good over there.

That sets up a competition at RT between Sherrod, Newhouse, and Barclay.

I don't think LT is a very big question because we have options moving forward. We have talent on the roster. Don't forget about Andrew Datko either. It will be interesting to see his development. I just don't think tackle is a very big need at all. If anything, we need help alongside the interior in my opinion for depth purposes.

the way i look at it left tackle is a huge concern and newhouse is a below average blocker at best. the whole offensive line is. gb gave up 51 sacks!!! bro, thats terrible. and aaron rodgers was almost decapitated in seattle where he was sacked 8 times in the first half for a record and on top of that seattle finished with 11 sacks and tied a nfl record, thank god aaron is as tough as he is. gb just couldent block worth a damn last year. still there some hope with sittion and barclay and bulaga. and jeff saterday i think is done. i dont know how he made the pro bowl after getting benched in what? week 14

I think you should look at the numbers. Newhouse was amongst the top 20 starting NFL tackles in Pass Blocking Efficiency. That's pretty solid and certainly better than 'below average at best.'

Aaron Rodgers was charged with 14 of the 51 sacks this year for holding on to the ball too long. That's a very overlooked issue of our offense. Rodgers has a tendency to hang on to the ball for a little long. Also, Rodgers was amongst the tops in the league when it comes to most time to throw the ball, averaging about 2.7 seconds per pass attempt. That's pretty solid.

As for jfinley88, I agree with your statement about Sherrod being a natural LT. I'm really hoping he is the LT, however we already know Bulaga can play RT at a Pro Bowl level, and I think there is potential for him at LT. We know Bulaga can play in this league and at a high level. To me, what's the difference? RT or LT... With how teams shuffle their pass rushers to exploit matchups, it's the same. I like Bulaga at LT because I trust him. I view Sherrod essentially as a rookie. Maybe halfway through camp he shows he's a legitimate LT. I would certainly trust our coaching staff to make the right decision. But on this day, I would project Bulaga as our LT at this very moment, and that's because we haven't seen anything from Sherrod yet. Unfortunately a terrible injury took away last season from him

Hey man. I don't care about numbers. I have eyes and my eyes seen newhouse get whipped like cream. He is not the answer. The way I feel only bulaga and sitton are safe this off season I'm sure the genius GM TT will find some one. yes Rogers is have a little trouble holding on to the ball too long but the reason why I think he does that is because the line breaks down way too fast but it could also be because the receivers are not getting open but still that's just small stuff the bigger thing that concerns me is Rogers fumbleing issues

Right there you've already destroyed your argument. The more objective #s are better than the subjective and potentially biased opinion.

i was refering to cooter22 comment on newhouse having give up 10 sacks and im very surprised he olny gave up 10.marshall newhouse is a piece of junk i dont care what anybody has to say...fight your own fights bro...

If you don't care what anyone has to say, don't post. And I'll fight the fight of objective reasoning and no one will tell me otherwise. I had no intention of getting personal, but apparently others disregard that.

Does Newhouse struggle against a certain type? Absolutely. Is he elite? Absolutely not. Is he even the projected starter for next year? That's unlikely. Sherrod is an above average pass protector and I'm perfectly comfortable going into 2013 with a Sherrod/Bulaga/Newhouse at LT and Bulaga/Barclay at RT. There's plenty of depth there, and we're in no position to get that franchise OT that everyone always wants. Joeckel, Fisher, and Johnson will be gone when we pick. Fluker is a RTO in a power scheme. We're definetely not going out in FA and signing a LT. If we spent a 1st on an OT we'd have 3 1st round OTs in the last 4 years (IIRC). That's the law of diminishing returns. Sherrod hasn't busted, he broke his leg and the medical staff and coaching staff decided it'd be best to just wait til next year since he was healed so late in the season. If after next year Sherrod turns out not to be the answer and Newhouse doesn't improve and Bulaga can't play LT, then yeah, we should probably get an OT, but to do so now is ignoring other more glaring weaknesses on this team including ILB, DE, and S. You can only do so many things in one offseason and OT should be very far down on the priority list.

Also, it's best to use efficiency and percentage stats rather than bulk count stats since they can be misleading due to oppurtunities.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you don't care what anyone has to say, don't post. And I'll fight the fight of objective reasoning and no one will tell me otherwise. I had no intention of getting personal, but apparently others disregard that.

Does Newhouse struggle against a certain type? Absolutely. Is he elite? Absolutely not. Is he even the projected starter for next year? That's unlikely. Sherrod is an above average pass protector and I'm perfectly comfortable going into 2013 with a Sherrod/Bulaga/Newhouse at LT and Bulaga/Barclay at RT. There's plenty of depth there, and we're in no position to get that franchise OT that everyone always wants. Joeckel, Fisher, and Johnson will be gone when we pick. Fluker is a RTO in a power scheme. We're definetely not going out in FA and signing a LT. If we spent a 1st on an OT we'd have 3 1st round OTs in the last 4 years (IIRC). That's the law of diminishing returns. Sherrod hasn't busted, he broke his leg and the medical staff and coaching staff decided it'd be best to just wait til next year since he was healed so late in the season. If after next year Sherrod turns out not to be the answer and Newhouse doesn't improve and Bulaga can't play LT, then yeah, we should probably get an OT, but to do so now is ignoring other more glaring weaknesses on this team including ILB, DE, and S. You can only do so many things in one offseason and OT should be very far down on the priority list.

Also, it's best to use efficiency and percentage stats rather than bulk count stats since they can be misleading due to oppurtunities.

Exactly how I vew the offensive line situation. The guys are there, plenty of options available on the outside.

Newhouse is your 'run of the mill' average offensive tackle. Nothing special about his game and he can compete in the NFL. Better suited as a RT of 'swing' tackle for sure. It's going to be Bulaga or Sherrod at LT next season anyways. Right there, we are upgrading our LT situation so you're getting your wish without even going to the draft.
Mr Green

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If newhouse is not expected to be a starter next season then he would make excellent trade bait. We can always draft another OT if we wanted.

The OL needs an upgrade somewhere. The number of sacks conceded was unacceptable and it needs to be better.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Green wrote:
If newhouse is not expected to be a starter next season then he would make excellent trade bait. We can always draft another OT if we wanted.

The OL needs an upgrade somewhere. The number of sacks conceded was unacceptable and it needs to be better.

His value to us is higher than it would be for other teams.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Green wrote:

EDS is probably going to be an upgrade over what Saturday was last year.

Bulaga was gimpy early and then hurt

Maybe Sherrod can beat out Newhouse, or at least force him to get better

That's improvement right there, without making any roster changes.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick Barnett just became available. Doubtful on the re-sign
2Bigby0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been a Nick Barnett fan and would love his return to Green Bay. I think he'd be a significant asset to the linebacking corps.

That being said, I highly doubt we would consider bringing Barnett in unless he'd be willing to be a 'role' type guy. It seems to me that we will be moving forward with the linebacking corps we have in regards to the inside. Brad Jones' situation is impending and it's something that hasn't gotten a lot of attention. The return of Bishop and Smith will help and also the development of Manning is something to keep an eye on as well.
TheGreatZepp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
Nick Barnett just became available. Doubtful on the re-sign
He'll certainly find work somewhere, though there's no spot for him in the division. Good guy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minnesota seems like a landing spot for Barnett. He lost a step or two in coverage but he would be an improvement over there.

Sig brought to you by Justo
BrettFavre004

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Green wrote:

I am expecting Newhouse to be the starter next year. I thought he finished the year better than he started it. He very rarely gets help in this offense, Mac is all about maximizing targets, not protection. He has 3 playoff starts under his belt, about regular season 30 games, and is only 24 years old. Give the kid some time to progress.

He is not and likely will never be a franchise LT, but he is also not a liability. See Alan Barbre if you want to see a liability.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=17
2Bigby0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrettFavre004 wrote:
Mr Green wrote:

I am expecting Newhouse to be the starter next year. I thought he finished the year better than he started it. He very rarely gets help in this offense, Mac is all about maximizing targets, not protection. He has 3 playoff starts under his belt, about regular season 30 games, and is only 24 years old. Give the kid some time to progress.

He is not and likely will never be a franchise LT, but he is also not a liability. See Alan Barbre if you want to see a liability.

I agree. I also think that if Newhouse is the starter, it will be at RT. Newhouse isn't that bad. The guy is young and he's been an average starter at LT the past two seasons.

I think for now, you plan on Newhouse playing RT and Bulaga at LT. Sherrod becomes the 'wildcard' in all of this. If he returns healthy, we could potentially use him at LT and then move Bulaga back to RT. We have a lot of options and flexibility at the tackle position and it's one of the farthest things we would need to draft in the first few rounds IMO.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope new house isn't the starter because that means sherrod is done or has significantly less upside than we hoped. He has an absolutely enormous skill set lean over newhouse.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
I sure hope new house isn't the starter because that means sherrod is done or has significantly less upside than we hoped. He has an absolutely enormous skill set lean over newhouse.
Newhouse has developed a bit, and Sherrod may still need to get into football shape. It's not this year, but next year where Sherrod will be starting IMO. Besides wasn't Sherrod behind Newhouse his rookie year? Sherrod was on the right side while Newhouse was trusted to take Hali on the left when he got injured.
ECPackers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bring back nick barnett!

why not?
Bucks
Badgers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Page 16 of 89

Jump to: