Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens Mock Offseason

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ihoxhaj23

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Ravens Mock Offseason Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
So this is my first crack at a mock offseason. These are what I think will happen or at least hope happen.

Retire:

Ray Lewis - Already happened, very sad to see him go.
Matt Birk - Don't think Matt will want another go after getting his ring. Going out on top like Ray.
Ma'ake Kemoeatu - Definitely older, will want to go out on top. Don't see him coming back.

Restructure - I'm not saying they will restructure, just think the front office will at least ask.

Terrell Suggs - I think they ask him to take less for the good of the team. I don't necessarily think he will. But they will ask nonetheless.
Anquan Boldin - They will see that he is integral part of our offense and honestly they haven't seen enough out of David Reed/ Tandon Doss to think that they can take over his spot. They will ask him to restructure and maybe he does with the right bonus or addition of years.
Jacoby Jones - I think they try to sign Jacoby to a more long-term cap friendly deal and he will like the security of that and do it.
Vonta Leach - I think they ask and he says no and they let him walk. I love him as a player, one of my favorites, but almost 5 million for a player that sees 25 snaps a game, doesn't help much. I really hope he says yes but he has no reason to since he is the best in the league.

Restricted Free Agents -
I think they put reasonable tenders on everyone and a 1st for Pitta and a 2nd round tender on Dickson. I think Art Jones gets a 2nd round as well, maybe a 1st but that might be too much.

Exclusive Rights Free Agents -
All role players and all will come back. Of them McClellan, Omar Brown, Bryan Hall, Josh Bynes, and Adrian Hamilton are the most important to retain.

Unrestricted Free Agents
Ed Reed - I'm praying he comes back and I honestly seem him test the market like Ray did 4 years ago and come back to us. Yes tackling wasn't great, but his mere presence makes our secondary formidable.
Joe Flacco - No brainer, he will be with us. Whether it is franchise tag, 20 million, or new deal he will be happy either way.
McKinnie, Bryant - I think the other tackles in Free Agency are way too expensive for us and we have to bring him back. I'm thinking 2 or 3 years and lots of incentives.
Ellerbe, Dannell - I think one of the most important. Jameel didn't look that great this year. He was a rock for us.
Williams, Cary - No way he comes back. Wants way too much, and too cocky for his skill set.
McBean, Ryan - Broke his foot, but I think will be back and will be a great rotational player.
Kruger, Paul - Had a great year and hoping he comes back. With the lack of pass-rushing I think we make a fair offer but someone overpays and he signs somewhere else.
Considine, Sean - Supposed special teams ace was mediocre at best, can sign a better player in free agency.
Kemoeatu, Ma'ake - Retire.
Ihedigbo, James - Definitely think he comes back.
Brown, Ricky - Who?
Bajema, Billy - I think we find a cheaper option, but he was great for us and will be sad to see him go.
Johnson, Chris - mostly hurt and don't think he is back. 6th corner at best.

Free Agents -
QB - none maybe some competition as a third string seeing as Dennis Dixon is as good as gone.
RB - absolutely no one, we are loaded, especially with Bobby Rainey, Lonye Miller, and other backups
WR - Top3/4 are set with boldin, torrey, jones, doss, and then some competition for the others.
TE - Maybe a blocking/red-zone threat type. But I see us drafting someone here.
OL - Again the Tackles will be too pricey, no needs at guard, unless we want some veteran backups again, center will be addressed in the draft
DE - Maybe a savvy vet like VandenBosch looking for a ring, or someone coming off an injury looking to prove themselves, like antwan odom.
DT - Maybe a Sedrick Ellis, Shaun Cody, Amobi Okoye, Justin Bannan, or Aubrayo Franklin would be good options
ILB - Brad Jones would be ideal here. But probably an expensive option.
OLB - Maybe a backup to serve as depth.
CB - position of strength here, no need really, unless we sign someone on the cheap like corey last year.
S - I would love OJ Atogwe or Tanard Jackson. Both High Risk/High Reward. But I really like Tanard Jackson especially with the leadership on our team.

Draft
Round 1 - Trade down. We like to do it and still get an extra pick and good value. 1 for early 2 and 4th
Round 2(top 7 picks) - Barret Jones OL Alabama - I hope he lasts this long. He can definitely be the replacement to Matt and will provide great competition for Gino.
Round 2 - Arthur Brown LB Kansas State - This dude is an absolute stud. I know i'm a bit delusional thinking he will last this long. But i'm hoping he stinks up the combine so that we can snatch him up. This dude reminds me of Ray. I know they say that he has motivation problems, but they said the same thing about Haloti and we know how that turned out. He has great speed and instincts and will help in coverage.
Round 3 - Tony Jefferson FS Oklahoma - Definite replacement for Ed. Will provide competition for Christian Thompson. Safeties of the future.
Round 4 - AJ Klein LB Iowa - Dude is a stud. Great instincts and will definitely be an asset to this team.
Round 4 - Joseph Fauria TE UCLA - Huge guy, Red zone Target, and great blocker.
Round 5 - Aaron Hester CB UCLA - Great Depth Pick. Good player, quick study.
Round 6 - Aaron Mellette WR Elon - Dude was great. Small School and has a lot of potential.
Round 7 - TJ Barnes DT Georgia Tech - Depth pick-up and could be an under the radar pick.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your offseason looks pretty good. I think we restructure Suggs deal as well

And while you called it a restructure, we'd be extending the deals for both Boldin and Jacoby.

I'm not exactly sure what will come of Leach, but I think he'll realize that his best chance to win in the future is with the Ravens and understand what this league is transitioning into. He doesn't see as many snaps and that should help save his body.

So I think he could also be a guy that signs an extension that lowers his cap number this season.

I think we bring Flacco and Reed back. I think Kruger is as good as gone... and we won't have much of a shot for him. Someone is going to pay him 8-10m/year... and with him being an average to below average player against the run... I don't think he's worth that amount to us. I think Ellerbe has a shot, but ultimately, I think some team is going to make him an offer that he can't refuse. If he stays here, we're going to go right player, right price... but another team looking for an upgrade at ILB will be willing to pay him bank. So I don't think he returns.

Draft
I LOVE your draft, but disagree with your reasoning on some of the picks.

1. Jones- I love Jones as a player, he's a beast, he's technically sound, plays nasty and with passion, and he's as intelligent as they come on and off the field. Not to mention his versatility along the OL.

That being said, I don't think we select Jones to play center. Gino Gradkowski looked pretty darn good against the Bengals starters and I see no reason to basically have wasted an early 4th round pick on him. He's going to see his chance. Barrett Jones versatility should instead be used to shore up our LT spot. He's not very tall, but he has nice agility and quickness to battle and a stoutness to him. He's actually taller than Duane Brown, so I see no reason why his college dominance against the best pass rushers the SEC could throw at him wouldn't translate to the NFL. IMO, LT, is our biggest need heading into this draft because when Flacco has a pocket, he's looked like a top 5 caliber QB, whereas when he doesn't... and with pocket presence being his weakest point as a player, he looks much more like a 13-17 type of QB. I trust Jones intelligence to also keep Joe from getting killed.

2. Arthur Brown is my top rated ILB in this class. I just think he's going to be special at the next level. You can't teach his speed. He has it in every aspect of his game and its just blazing. I've seen him falling in mocks to around that slot that you have him going. That probably won't last after the combine when he probably blazes a 4.38 forty with some other elite measurements, but until then... I like the spot where you took him. Maybe use that 4th round pick to trade back up higher into the 4th and secure him... that could make some sense.

3. From what I understand, he's supposed to go higher in the draft. So I doubt we'd be able to get him here. But I think if you replace this pick with the AJ Klein pick, I love it still. Now we suddenly have two ILBs on this squad that I think are big time playmakers and would instantly form a top 5 ILB duo, heck I think they'd be top 3 by the end of their rookie seasons.

4. Joseph Fauria is a guy I haven't seen a lot of, but he's huge, has soft hands and if he checks out medically would be a great option for this team. I might've taken him in the 5th as opposed to the 4th, but he's got a skillset that I think could compete with Ed Dickson for the backup TE spot.

5. Not familiar with the guy. But I've heard his name mentioned before. CB and pass rushers are positions where you can never have enough guys at, so it's not a pick that I would hate. Hester could replace Jimmy Smith on special teams now that he - hopefully- can win the starting job and make waves enough to be taken off the special teams units.

6. Never watched his tape, but I've heard some good things. Adding a late round receiver however probably isn't the best bet knowing that player would have to compete with the likes of Deonte Thompson, Tommy Streeter, perhaps David Reed (we might sign him back for the minimum), and a few other guys who could sign cheap.

7. TJ Barnes is an interesting pick. If he works out we've got a guy with a lot of beef on the DL. If not, it was only a 7th round pick to spend on a risk/reward option.

Last edited by diamondbull424 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total
mcdni

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with all those free agents you mentioned is we are not going to have the cap room to sign them. We are going to be tight against the cap especially if we are throwing around 1st and 2nd round tenders to all our RFAs.

Joe's contract could be a struggle but we need his cap hit to be less than $10m to give us some wiggle room to get a few guys signed. We might end up making the choice between Ellerbe and Reed but we might be able to make it work for both.

Kruger is gone. Someone is going to pay him $10m+ per season and it won't be us.

This offseason is going to be about signing are own guys, picking up vet minimum FAs to fill holes and then the draft. It's going to be boring outside of the drama of getting Joe, Ed and Dannell resigned.

The draft should be fun. We are projected to get a 4th,5th,6th and 7th round compensation picks so that should give us room to trade some of our normal picks to move around a little and target guys that can really help.

As for your draft. I like what you have done. I don't think we automatically trade down out of the 1st because we have done that in the past. We normally do that when we have traded away picks to get a player during the season and need to get those picks back. As we have so many compensation picks this year and have our full compliment of normal picks I could actually see us trade up this year if someone we really want starts to fall like what happened with Michael Oher a few years back.

I'm not convinced about taking Barret with our 1st pick. Really I think we need to be targeting a pass rusher or LT with our 1st pick if you are going ILB later.

I don't know if Arthur Brown lasts to the end of the 2nd. I like the pick but we might have to move around to get him.

Jefferson could be a realistic and good pick in the 3rd.

Joseph Fauria is a nice option at TE but with big athletic TEs being the flavor of the month in the NFL I think a premium will be placed on his type of player and he goes as high as the 2nd round.

The only thing your draft really lacks is a pass rusher and I really think we need to add another 1 in this draft.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcdni wrote:
The problem with all those free agents you mentioned is we are not going to have the cap room to sign them. We are going to be tight against the cap especially if we are throwing around 1st and 2nd round tenders to all our RFAs.

Joe's contract could be a struggle but we need his cap hit to be less than $10m to give us some wiggle room to get a few guys signed. We might end up making the choice between Ellerbe and Reed but we might be able to make it work for both.

Kruger is gone. Someone is going to pay him $10m+ per season and it won't be us.

This offseason is going to be about signing are own guys, picking up vet minimum FAs to fill holes and then the draft. It's going to be boring outside of the drama of getting Joe, Ed and Dannell resigned.

The draft should be fun. We are projected to get a 4th,5th,6th and 7th round compensation picks so that should give us room to trade some of our normal picks to move around a little and target guys that can really help.

As for your draft. I like what you have done. I don't think we automatically trade down out of the 1st because we have done that in the past. We normally do that when we have traded away picks to get a player during the season and need to get those picks back. As we have so many compensation picks this year and have our full compliment of normal picks I could actually see us trade up this year if someone we really want starts to fall like what happened with Michael Oher a few years back.

I'm not convinced about taking Barret with our 1st pick. Really I think we need to be targeting a pass rusher or LT with our 1st pick if you are going ILB later.

I don't know if Arthur Brown lasts to the end of the 2nd. I like the pick but we might have to move around to get him.

Jefferson could be a realistic and good pick in the 3rd.

Joseph Fauria is a nice option at TE but with big athletic TEs being the flavor of the month in the NFL I think a premium will be placed on his type of player and he goes as high as the 2nd round.

The only thing your draft really lacks is a pass rusher and I really think we need to add another 1 in this draft.

1. Were you referring to his wishlist at the bottom where he named Sedrick Ellis and a few other guys? Or were you referring to the top part where he listed our UFAs? I didn't think the UFA part was off, looked pretty good to me. Looked like we only make a serious run at Flacco, Reed, Ellerbe and resign some of the cheap depth guys like Ihedigbo and maybe McBean (though this one probably would be a long shot).

2. I agree with your point here... only I think Jones is a LT as well. The guy one the Outland trophy playing LT. He held those LSU twins sackless there when playing them. The only thing that's not to like about him there is his length. I think his arm measurements will be play a big role in where teams might feel comfortable putting him at the next level- if his arms measure at 33" or more, I definitely would trust him to play LT at a high level. I've said this before but I think BJ75 reminds me of Marshal Yanda... versatility wise... and remember Yanda actually looked like a better RT than Oher looks right now... the only thing is, he's an elite RG and serves our line better at that spot. Conversely while I think Jones would be an elite OG in the NFL... potentially an elite center... I think no question he would also be a very good LT. The difference between him and Yanda though is that I think he has a more foot quickness than Yanda.

3. Almost forgot this point. Fauria was injured this season, that usually lowers a players draft 'stock'. Some sites actually list him as a 6th/7th rounder IIRC. So taking him in the 4th certainly looks like its not something that we'd be getting him much later than expected.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:

1. Were you referring to his wishlist at the bottom where he named Sedrick Ellis and a few other guys? Or were you referring to the top part where he listed our UFAs? I didn't think the UFA part was off, looked pretty good to me. Looked like we only make a serious run at Flacco, Reed, Ellerbe and resign some of the cheap depth guys like Ihedigbo and maybe McBean (though this one probably would be a long shot).

2. I agree with your point here... only I think Jones is a LT as well. The guy one the Outland trophy playing LT. He held those LSU twins sackless there when playing them. The only thing that's not to like about him there is his length. I think his arm measurements will be play a big role in where teams might feel comfortable putting him at the next level- if his arms measure at 33" or more, I definitely would trust him to play LT at a high level. I've said this before but I think BJ75 reminds me of Marshal Yanda... versatility wise... and remember Yanda actually looked like a better RT than Oher looks right now... the only thing is, he's an elite RG and serves our line better at that spot. Conversely while I think Jones would be an elite OG in the NFL... potentially an elite center... I think no question he would also be a very good LT. The difference between him and Yanda though is that I think he has a more foot quickness than Yanda.

3. Almost forgot this point. Fauria was injured this season, that usually lowers a players draft 'stock'. Some sites actually list him as a 6th/7th rounder IIRC. So taking him in the 4th certainly looks like its not something that we'd be getting him much later than expected.

1. It was a combo of everything but yeah it really came from the wishlist of FAs.

2. His point was he was drafting Jones to be the C. I don't see us drafting a C early as I believe we like Gradkowski and a year in the system and working with Birk can only help him learn the calls required of an NFL C. However, Jones versatility does make him valuable but I don't think he is a LT in the NFL.

3. I'm only judging Fauria by what I have seen although I didn't realise he was injured during the year. I watched a lot of PAC-12 ball this season and I came away thinking Fauria would go somewhere in day 2 of the draft. If he falls to the 4th and I would love for us to pick him up. I think he would be a great fit and allow us to move on from Dickson after 2013.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcdni wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

1. It was a combo of everything but yeah it really came from the wishlist of FAs.

2. His point was he was drafting Jones to be the C. I don't see us drafting a C early as I believe we like Gradkowski and a year in the system and working with Birk can only help him learn the calls required of an NFL C. However, Jones versatility does make him valuable but I don't think he is a LT in the NFL.

3. I'm only judging Fauria by what I have seen although I didn't realise he was injured during the year. I watched a lot of PAC-12 ball this season and I came away thinking Fauria would go somewhere in day 2 of the draft. If he falls to the 4th and I would love for us to pick him up. I think he would be a great fit and allow us to move on from Dickson after 2013.

What makes you say this? Watching him play and hold speed and strength pass rushers at bay consistently at Alabama... I don't see why he's not a LT at the next level. Similar to Cordy Glenn from last year, I said that Cordy Glenn would be a great LT and was a guy that I was high on the whole year... he went to the NFL and was a very good LT. He had the length and enough foot quickness and would stop pass rushers on contact and just swallow them. But draftniks didn't like him at LT because he didn't have the prototypical size (was too big), his feet weren't lightning quick, and he was never a converted TE (okay, I made this one up). But his length was an asset for him in college and is the same in the NFL. And his foot quickness was always very good for his size. I said back then that if he could lose about 10-15 more lbs, he'd have enough quickness that his length could account for in most any circumstance... and he very rarely ever got beat on a double move back to the inside either.

Well, it appears to me that Barrett Jones is fighting a similar uphill battle- as a LT at least. He doesn't have the body that NFL talent evaluators dream of when they dream up a LT. It's because everyone is fighting to grab a guy with a body similar to Jonathan Ogden (6'9" 345 lbs) or at least Joe Thomas that talents can fall. Jones did nothing with his play that should make on automatically question his fit IMO. He's not the dominant option that Glenn could be, that's for sure... but Barrett is so consistent and just does his job. Two guys he reminds me of are Marshal Yanda and Kevin Zeitler. They just go out there... and they do their job, no matter how effortless or dominant it looks in the process (which isn't to say that they can't dominate).

Not saying that you're wrong or anything, It's just most people aren't even giving Jones a chance. If there's something on tape about him where his limitations expose him, I'll be the first to say that I'd like to know about it. To say that I was wrong and didn't notice. Maybe he's not as consistently solidly good as I think he can be, but he at least deserves to have a chance IMO. Like Glenn did (I mean Glenn dominated the senior bowl at LT and still didn't get a chance- it was crazy).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The free agency moves are pretty good. Maybe a bit hopeful in terms of who Baltimore will be able to retain but they could pull off a lot of cap-saving moves and surprise us. I will say that we want no part of Vanden Bosch though. He's done and has nothing left in the tank. Trust me, as a native Michigander I've watched quite a few Lions games and even playing next to a line consisting of (at times) Suh, Fairley, and Avril he did absolutely nothing. It would be hard to find a cheaper option than Bajema as a blocking TE too seeing as he was on a veterans minimum deal but now I'm just nitpicking. Wink

I kind of like the draft too except for a couple of things. They don't need an interior offensive lineman even if Birk retires. After taking Gradkowski with a fairly high pick last year it would be foolish to waste another valuable resource on the position. I guess you could draft Jones (or another C) with a higher pick and keep Gradkowski as the versatile depth along the interior but I'd rather they see what Gino can do as a starter and address other needs. If the Ravens take an offensive lineman in the first few rounds I think it needs to be a guy that can undoubtedly play LT (at least eventually if you take developmental guys into consideration).

Taking Jefferson when Reed is back on the team in this scenario irks me too. You just won't be getting a lot of value out of him while Ed is on the team and I think he would be back for at least two years. I'm not a fan of taking a TE with a higher pick either if both Pitta and Dickson are back. This isn't New England.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: