Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears Prospects Draft Rankings [Mayock Bears Analysis pg17]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selkiesxx wrote:
Frederick really underwhelmed me when I watched him. He didn't look like a guy who has backed up the hype he is getting. I've heard that he's a first round prospect and while I'm sure he'll be a fine player and a great teammate; he's never going to be an impact player or anything more than adequate -- in my opinion.

He doesn't use his hands very well and he's really slow to recover. I just don't see it with him. I'm sure he has the drive but the kid is going to be a project, in my opinion. As in you won't see the final product for 4-5 years. He's not a plug-and-play unless you want to see your guy really struggle. He got bullied by some bigger Big-12 linemen, I can only imagine what guys like Brandon Mebane and Geno Atkins would do to him.

I would disagree completely…Fredrick isn’t a high ceiling development player…he is what he is and that is solid if unspectacular.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Selkiesxx wrote:
Frederick really underwhelmed me when I watched him. He didn't look like a guy who has backed up the hype he is getting. I've heard that he's a first round prospect and while I'm sure he'll be a fine player and a great teammate; he's never going to be an impact player or anything more than adequate -- in my opinion.

He doesn't use his hands very well and he's really slow to recover. I just don't see it with him. I'm sure he has the drive but the kid is going to be a project, in my opinion. As in you won't see the final product for 4-5 years. He's not a plug-and-play unless you want to see your guy really struggle. He got bullied by some bigger Big-12 linemen, I can only imagine what guys like Brandon Mebane and Geno Atkins would do to him.

I would disagree completely…Fredrick isn’t a high ceiling development player…he is what he is and that is solid if unspectacular.

I like the Frederick plan that we were bouncing around last night, but I am starting to think that he won't hit 50, let alone and trade down 10 picks.

Because of

-His rare size.
-Positional versatility.
-Barrett Jones injury.

I think he will go early then we thing right now, especially if he is a little lighter at the combine and moves well.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Selkiesxx wrote:

I like the Frederick plan that we were bouncing around last night, but I am starting to think that he won't hit 50, let alone and trade down 10 picks.

Because of

-His rare size.
-Positional versatility.
-Barrett Jones injury.

I think he will go early then we thing right now, especially if he is a little lighter at the combine and moves well.

The most important thing for this draft in general is to simply not reach on anyone at any position…If the Bears have him inside the top 50 players then grab him…if not don’t grab him out of desperation…no team has ever been built using that strategy…for me the most ideal situation would be to sign Branden Albert then draft Jonathan Cooper in the 1st…play him at LG for a year then move him to C next year if he shows the ability to do that…if not that then sign Jermon Bushrod and draft Larry Warford after a trade down…or sign an OG like Andy Levitre then draft Lane Johnson in the 1st (this is the riskiest strategy IMO since the top 3 OTs might all be gone by then)
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Selkiesxx wrote:

Because of

-His rare size.
-Positional versatility.
-Barrett Jones injury.

The most important thing for this draft in general is to simply not reach on anyone at any position…If the Bears have him inside the top 50 players then grab him…if not don’t grab him out of desperation…no team has ever been built using that strategy…for me the most ideal situation would be to sign Branden Albert then draft Jonathan Cooper in the 1st…play him at LG for a year then move him to C next year if he shows the ability to do that…if not that then sign Jermon Bushrod and draft Larry Warford after a trade down…or sign an OG like Andy Levitre then draft Lane Johnson in the 1st (this is the riskiest strategy IMO since the top 3 OTs might all be gone by then)

Agreed on the OT.

I like the Cooper plan, but part of me thinks that Emery won't see a top 20 OG/C as value. He has chances last season to grab OL, especially interior OL, and he passed. In his speech he made it seem like they didn't even start thinking OL till the 2nd round, probably because they thought they had their tackles.

If we sign an OT our primary needs are OG/C, LB and TE to me that screams a trade down. Those positions are 2nd round positions traditionally.

I wonder if we could see a trade down to the late 1st or early 2nd like the Bengals did last season and target Larry Warford or Travis Frederick to maximize value.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000136720/article/2013-nfl-draft-top-five-prospects-at-every-offensive-position

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000136720/article/2013-nfl-draft-top-five-prospects-at-every-offensive-position
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some interesting notes on two guys we might have interest in…

Quote:
NFL teams will need to keep things simple for Georgia LB Alec Ogletree, according to one anonymous scout.

"Ogletree moves like a defensive back playing linebacker," the scout said. "He’s fast, quick and athletic — he moves like a gazelle. He has run into some trouble off the field and is going to need things kept simple, but I would like to have him." Ogletree might fit as an inside linebacker in a 3-4, but likely projects to a weakside role behind a four man front.

Quote:
One anonymous scout tells Pro Football Weekly that Mississippi State CB Johnthan Banks is "a lot like Richard Sherman."

"He reminds me of the type of corners they have playing in Seattle," the scout said of Banks. "He can play off or on and is not bad off, but that’s not his deal. He is a press cover guy. Everyone wants a big man corner... For a long guy, he can come out of breaks." Banks did play some man coverage in college, but a large portion of his time was spent in a cover 3 zone, where he could break on targets underneath him.

WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to start putting together my Tea Leaves Mock Offseason and Ogeltree is seriously going to he in consideration for the 1st overall pick.

Emery likes athletes even if they have some question marks, Marshall and Jeffery.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was brought up in Pompei’s mailbag about the Bears potentially taking WR/RB/KR Tavon Austin if he is available in the 2nd round at pick #50…I would be all for it…I think it would take away much of the need for a TE if you have a player like Austin working out of multiple positions…sign a blocking TE then draft a Randall Cobb type like Austin and we could be on to a winner.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
It was brought up in Pompei’s mailbag about the Bears potentially taking WR/RB/KR Tavon Austin if he is available in the 2nd round at pick #50…I would be all for it…I think it would take away much of the need for a TE if you have a player like Austin working out of multiple positions…sign a blocking TE then draft a Randall Cobb type like Austin and we could be on to a winner.

Agreed weapons are weapons and now we have a coach who can get the most out of them.

I doubt we will see a checklist of needs covered in the draft, teams have holes and we are going to have some.

I expect Emery to take players that give us an advantage in the passing game.

What would be tricky would be what would happen with Bennett's reps.
DaMike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Some interesting notes on two guys we might have interest in…

Quote:
NFL teams will need to keep things simple for Georgia LB Alec Ogletree, according to one anonymous scout.

"Ogletree moves like a defensive back playing linebacker," the scout said. "He’s fast, quick and athletic — he moves like a gazelle. He has run into some trouble off the field and is going to need things kept simple, but I would like to have him." Ogletree might fit as an inside linebacker in a 3-4, but likely projects to a weakside role behind a four man front.
Not what you want to here for a potential MLB. I really hope we dont draft this guy in the 1st round.
blair18

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:

I would really like the Bears to take Austin. I am not a huge fan of Bennet. I just don't think he's the type of slot guy I want here and he seems to be spending a lot of time off the field of late. 11 games in '11. 12 in '12.

Austin could fill the special teams gap, open up a degree of experimentation in the offense, BUT

I have seen this guys draft spot all over the place. I don't want to go after him if we haven't addressed the Oline sufficiently. If he could be had in the second, absolutely. The only way I really see it happening is if we were to trade down to a later spot in the first, while picking up another mid rounder?

Any thoughts on scenarios where it could make sense?

Thanks to Lionsmack for the sig
blair18

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

say we traded the #20 for an early 2nd, a 3rd and a 4?

Austin with the early second, then we could maybe swing B. Jones, D. Thomas, Fluker or Long in the later 2nd?
Adress LB or TE with the 3rd...

I don't know if I like it.

chisoxguy7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blair18 wrote:
say we traded the #20 for an early 2nd, a 3rd and a 4?

Austin with the early second, then we could maybe swing B. Jones, D. Thomas, Fluker or Long in the later 2nd?
Adress LB or TE with the 3rd...

I don't know if I like it.

These are two scenarios I posted in a different thread yesterday:

The Chicago Bears trade 1.20 to the Arizona Cardinals for 2.38, 3.69, and their 2014 3rd round pick.

OR

The Chicago Bears trade 1.20 to the St. Louis Rams for 1.22 and 4.110 | St. Louis selects D.J. Fluker.
The Chicago Bears trade 1.22 to the Buffalo Bills for 2.41, 3.71 and a 2014 4th round selection. | Buffalo selects Mike Glennon.
blair18

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you see happening with those hypotheticals?

also, see any way we could snag austin, I know he'd be a luxury for us and it would only be doable if we had made a significant improvement to the Oline through Free Agency.

chisoxguy7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blair18 wrote:
what do you see happening with those hypotheticals?

also, see any way we could snag austin, I know he'd be a luxury for us and it would only be doable if we had made a significant improvement to the Oline through Free Agency.

I think the second round is a little early to make a luxury pick like Austin.

I'll preface this by saying I'm terrible with contracts, so you'll have to let me know if I'm way off.
Assuming the second scenario above, I would be thrilled to see:

Cuts:
Kellen Davis
Matt Spaeth
Roberto Garza

The Chicago Bears trade Devin Hester to the Kansas City Chiefs for 6.160

Free Agency:

Jermon Bushrod-[5m] He strikes me as a second tier type of guy, and I can see him wanting to continue to work with Kromer.
Louis Vasquez- [5m]- This is the biggest longshot, but I can see us bringing in 2 OL through FA.
Brandon Myers-[2.5m] He had a good season last year, but I think he's still got something to prove. He'll make less than Owen Daniels.

Draft:

The Chicago Bears trade 1.20 to the St. Louis Rams for 1.22 and 4.110 | St. Louis selects D.J. Fluker.
The Chicago Bears trade 1.22 to the Buffalo Bills for 2.41, 3.71 and a 2014 4th round selection. | Buffalo selects Mike Glennon.

2.41 - Kevin Minter, LB, LSU / Khaseem Greene, LB, Rutgers
2.50 - Barret Jones, C, Alabama
3.71 - Stedman Bailey, WR, West Virginia
4.110- Jordan Mills, OT, Louisiana Tech
4.114-Rod Sweeting, CB, Georgia Tech
5.146-Tyrann Mathieu,S, (Ex-)LSU
6.160- Matt Scott, QB, Arizona
6.178-David Bass, DE, Missouri Western State

I think we'd be in great shape should our offseason turn out like this. We would also have Buffalo's 2014 4th rounder.

LT Bushrod
LG Vasquez
C Jones
RG Louis/Carimi
RT Webb/Mills/Scott

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 12 of 20

Jump to: