Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Torn - Former Vikes Earn a Shot at a Ring.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who would you like to see win their 1st ring?
Matt Birk
40%
 40%  [ 16 ]
Randy Moss
60%
 60%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 40

VikeManDan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purple Faithful wrote:
McKinney. Be funny the guy not good enough for us wins a ring while we waste a top 5 pick on an above average LT. (gave up 5.5 sacks against a last place schedule). Unfortunately, means Birk would win, too. If Birk had stayed with the vikes one more year, vikes would probably have had home field against New Orleans, resulting in a win. Smile

So Kalil is a wasted pick Rolling Eyes .....anyway glad to see Birk get one, that guy is a class act. Will be interesting to see what Moss does, would love to see him get one, clock is ticking...
PurplePeterson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikeManDan wrote:
Purple Faithful wrote:
McKinney. Be funny the guy not good enough for us wins a ring while we waste a top 5 pick on an above average LT. (gave up 5.5 sacks against a last place schedule). Unfortunately, means Birk would win, too. If Birk had stayed with the vikes one more year, vikes would probably have had home field against New Orleans, resulting in a win. Smile

So Kalil is a wasted pick Rolling Eyes .....anyway glad to see Birk get one, that guy is a class act. Will be interesting to see what Moss does, would love to see him get one, clock is ticking...

I do not see Moss returning to the 49ers since he said he does not want to be a role player so I would not be surprised if he went back to the Patriots since Moss loves the Patriots
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see him returning to the Pats as well.
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that the Patriots would want him back.
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:

The Patriots wouldn't want him back. That was clearly evident when they didn't sign him in the lockout year. If Moss wants to play next year, he'll have to take what he can get. However, unless the 49ers want to bring him back, I don't see anyone else that would. He showed yesterday that he's clearly not in it. The effort was half-hearted at best.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
PurplePeterson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

The Patriots wouldn't want him back. That was clearly evident when they didn't sign him in the lockout year. If Moss wants to play next year, he'll have to take what he can get. However, unless the 49ers want to bring him back, I don't see anyone else that would. He showed yesterday that he's clearly not in it. The effort was half-hearted at best.

I love Moss and I am grateful to have him on the Vikings but his half-hearted effort pissed me off sometimes like walking off the field on the last play of the Redskins game, I would take Carter over Moss any day, at least Carter gives 100% effort on every play
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its unlikely that Moss returns to SF, they have a number of receivers returning next year. My guess is Moss will stick around with a similar role in hopes of a ring. Its hard to name teams at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I think its unlikely that Moss returns to SF, they have a number of receivers returning next year. My guess is Moss will stick around with a similar role in hopes of a ring. Its hard to name teams at this point.

Maybe Randy will come back with the Vikings again, the Vikings do need a wide receiver Laughing
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurplePeterson wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Maybe Randy will come back with the Vikings again, the Vikings do need a wide receiver Laughing

I cant see Fraizer or Spielman signing off on that one.

I could see Moss going to the Seahawks in a similar role.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
PurplePeterson wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

I cant see Fraizer or Spielman signing off on that one.

I could see Moss going to the Seahawks in a similar role.

Depending on the price tag, I could see it. Only of we don't trade Percy though.
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Klomp wrote:
PurplePeterson wrote:

I am not sure if Birk will get in the Hall of Fame, hell Mick Tingelhoff did not get in yet!

Well Mick didn't win a ring, but I agree

Birk's not a HOFer, IMO. He's been an above-average C for his career, and he'll certainly be in the Vikings' Ring of Honor, but I can't put him in the HOF, as he's not a legendary player at the position like a Jim Otto, Jim Ringo, Mike Webster, Dwight Stephenson, or Dermontti Dawson.

I can possibly see Birk making maybe a semi-finalist list at some point, but I don't ever see him being a HOFer. The only one of this era that I see have a significant chance of making the HOF is Jeff Saturday...and even that might be difficult.

As I mentioned in the other thread (and doesn't need to be mentioned there any further), I don't understand why people even care that McKinnie got a ring. He'll probably just have to hock it anyway to get out of bankruptcy. Wink

I find it interesting that skill position guys get in because of flash and stats, and yes, winning helps. The O-line guys get into the HOF because they perform consistently well at a high level. A center getting to 6 or 7 pro-bowls, playing in 4 conference championships and winning a superbowl, may have just enough to be in the argument. In Birk's case, he is kinda smart and over the past decade and a half, has kept the media on his good side. There were several years where Olin Kruetz and Birk were trading spots on the All-pro and Pro-Bowl rosters . . . and as I recall, Birk deserved it more than Kruetz a couple times when he didn't get the nod.

Comparing Birk to a guy like Webster is a very interesting case, given the difference in time. Webster dies of brain cancer from steriod abuse and Birk offers his brain to science to study the effects of trauma on the brain. I guess that's a no-brainer . . . lol. Yet Webster, who was 6'-ish 255 lbs, pumped up on 'roids gets the nod. One other thing, I think Birk's got enough Vikes on the voting panel now . . . just like Webster did back when he was getting voted in.

I think it'd be a fitting culmination of his career, but I'm not as confident that he'll make it in as say a Cris Carter or Johnathon Ogden.
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
disaacs wrote:

As I mentioned in the other thread (and doesn't need to be mentioned there any further), I don't understand why people even care that McKinnie got a ring. He'll probably just have to hock it anyway to get out of bankruptcy. Wink

just don't like seeing the bad guys win.

VF . . . lmao Laughing I would bet in your corner on this one. Then again, considering McKinney's purported acts committed on the Love Boat (i.e. being dumb enough to perform certain minstrations on a call girl, much less in front of witnesses). I'm surprised the dude's tongue hasn't rotted off yet. Laughing After listening to him on Colin Cowherd this morning, I wish it would . . .
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcticNorseman wrote:
A center getting to 6 or 7 pro-bowls, playing in 4 conference championships and winning a superbowl, may have just enough to be in the argument. In Birk's case, he is kinda smart and over the past decade and a half, has kept the media on his good side. There were several years where Olin Kruetz and Birk were trading spots on the All-pro and Pro-Bowl rosters . . . and as I recall, Birk deserved it more than Kruetz a couple times when he didn't get the nod.

By my count, there are only 7 HOF centers in the modern era, meaning you have to be downright dominant to get in. Birk was good, but he was not close to being a Hall of Famer.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purple Faithful wrote:

Lmfao.

So wait, because Bryant McKinnie won a ring, he's obviously too good for us, and all of a sudden a great LT? where as Matt Kalil is only above average, and not good enough to win the Vikings a Superbowl?

Laughing

Please, continue to post. Laughing

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
PurplePeterson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
ArcticNorseman wrote:
A center getting to 6 or 7 pro-bowls, playing in 4 conference championships and winning a superbowl, may have just enough to be in the argument. In Birk's case, he is kinda smart and over the past decade and a half, has kept the media on his good side. There were several years where Olin Kruetz and Birk were trading spots on the All-pro and Pro-Bowl rosters . . . and as I recall, Birk deserved it more than Kruetz a couple times when he didn't get the nod.

By my count, there are only 7 HOF centers in the modern era, meaning you have to be downright dominant to get in. Birk was good, but he was not close to being a Hall of Famer.

Unfortanely you are probably right, it just seems that centers are undervalued in the Hall of Fame which is a shame

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: