Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rodgers feels it's time to welcome back Favre
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Rodgers feels it's time to welcome back Favre Reply with quote

On Saturday night, at the NFLs second annual postseason awards show, current Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers and former Packers quarterback Brett Favre made a joint appearance. Rodgers said Tuesday that he hopes its the first step in a new era between Rodgers, Favre, and the franchise.

Rodgers: As the face of the franchise now, it's a role that I take very seriously. I have the responsibility and enjoy having the opportunity to represent my team. I think its important to realize that it is probably time to move forward. Brett is two years removed from the game. Hes going to obviously be in the Packers Hall of Fame. Hell get his number retired, and hell be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in the next few years. Its important, I think, to make sure that hes recognized for all the accomplishments that hes achieved in our organization especially. Hes still very dear to many of our fans for the things that hes done for the Packers on the field. You can never take that away.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/05/aaron-rodgers-thinks-its-time-for-favre-to-re-enter-packers-family/

good to see that Rodgers is able to move on and see the bigger picture. hopefully others will follow his lead.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Kiei7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't really seem like news.

Yes, but he won the super bowl.

Seriously I've never seen anyone as wrong as you all the time. The fact that you have knocked Skip Bayless off that perch has brought great shame upon this website.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its Packers news nonetheless.

but what did you expect Rodgers to say, that Favre isn't welcomed back?

In fact, I'd love Favre a lot more if he told Rodgers to get lost. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiei7 wrote:
Doesn't really seem like news.

are you kidding?

with the animosity and polarized feelings concerning Favre, now attempts are being made by Rodgers, and obviously with the knowledge and permission of the Packer organization, to heal old wounds.

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:

that's a dumb comment that didn't need to be expressed. it's a GOOD thing that the Packers are making moves to retire Favre's jersey number in a public ceremony. we'll probably see it this coming season.

Webmaster wrote:
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:

that's a dumb comment that didn't need to be expressed. it's a GOOD thing that the Packers are making moves to retire Favre's jersey number in a public ceremony. we'll probably see it this coming season.

there is a difference between dumb and ignorant. What I said wasn't dumb. Favre doesn't owe them anything.

sure, they can retire his number and add them to their Hall of Fame, but I would see nothing wrong if Favre decided to just ignore that team in all.

but will he? I don't know.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favre? Like the guy who declined to come to Mike Holmgren's Packer HOF induction? Yeah, Rodgers can say all the nice things he wants but that won't change Favre.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to hear someone from the Packers organization show some common sense in this whole thing. It's about time they welcome Favre back. Next to Vince Lombardi, he's the greatest Packer in the history of their team. It's about time they are starting to get over the whole thing.

A big thanks to gopherwrestler for this awesome sig! ^ ^

Boltstrikes wrote:
Being the best quarterback of 2014 does not make you the GOAT.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Buck wrote:
It's nice to hear someone from the Packers organization show some common sense in this whole thing. It's about time they welcome Favre back. Next to Vince Lombardi, he's the greatest Packer in the history of their team. It's about time they are starting to get over the whole thing.
None of this is true at all. We invited him back for Holmgren's induction and he declined. This is all on him. Plus hehe is not the 2nd greatest ever. Bart Starr, Jim Taylor, Don Hutson, Ray Nitschke, Curly Lambeau and a host of others would disagree.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
Uncle Buck wrote:
None of this is true at all. We invited him back for Holmgren's induction and he declined. This is all on him. Plus hehe is not the 2nd greatest ever. Bart Starr, Jim Taylor, Don Hutson, Ray Nitschke, Curly Lambeau and a host of others would disagree.
They can disagree all they'd like. Prior to all the retirement drama, most Packers fan considered him the greatest Packer of all-time. And for good reason.

It's time for Packers fans to move on and go back to loving and appreciating that guy that played a huge role in returning them to relevance for the first time in nearly three decades. Obviously Holmgren, Wolf and White also share in the credit, but Favre played just as much into their return to greatness.

And yes, he declined to go to Holmgren's induction. Frankly, that was probably for the best. He didn't need to overshadow a day that was deservedly about Holmgren and, as someone living in GB, I can confidently tell you that so many Packers fans still hold hard feelings for him that his appearance may not have been fully welcome.
Riverman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
Uncle Buck wrote:

Agree with your list 100%. Favre is up there, but there are others in front of him.

Glad to see our current QB act with some class and attempt to get the ball rolling on bringing Favre and the Packers back together. Having Rodgers speaking on the topic will help bring some fans around. If Rogers continues his career with projected stats but still only ends up with 1 ring and 1 MVP his class still puts him ahead of Favre in my book.
Malik

But aren't we all enjoying NOT seeing Favre?
Uncle Buck

MNPackfan32 wrote:
Uncle Buck wrote:

They can disagree all they want. Even if you are still made at the guy, Favre's greatness is undeniable. None of the others sustained such a long period of excellence. Can you honestly say that if you had a chance to draft any of them knowing what you know now that you wouldn't take Favre? I know I sure wouldn't. That would be an easy choice for me, and most other people whose mind isn't stained with bitterness.

As far as the Holmgren ceremony, I can't answer that. Maybe he didn't want to be a distraction and/or steal the show from the coach he has a lot of respect for? Maybe he didn't feel welcomed by the fan base yet? I have no idea. One thing I'm pretty sure of is that he wouldn't want to do anything to insult Mike Holmgren.

A big thanks to gopherwrestler for this awesome sig! ^ ^

Boltstrikes wrote:
Being the best quarterback of 2014 does not make you the GOAT.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant fault Favre for not going to holmgren's ceremony. Too many are looking into this as it being Favre taking a shot at the Packers organization. That couldnt be further from the truth, just consider the attention Favre would have drawn. I am sure Holmgren did not care at all and probably felt good that the day was about him as it should have been.

I will never understand how so many Packer fans cant let go, i see it personally. Both sides decided to move on, Favre wasnt done playing he should be able to play as long as he physically and mentally can. Favre doesnt owe anything to Packer fans to retire peacefully and not play for another team or a rival.

The Packers organization and Favre would be smart to mend fences. Favre is a Packer legend and played a huge role in there revival in the 1990s.
Badger75

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something in the icy waters up there. In 1950, the Packers executive committee unceremoniously fired Curly Lambeau. It was messy and personal. He wasn't ready to retire, coaching the Chicago Cardinals and then the Redskins for two years each. He then lobbied the players to "bring back Curly".

Vince Lombardi won two SB's, was GM one more season and went to the Redskins for a year.

The manner by which GM Thompson and HC McCarthy pushed him out was an echo.

It is the organization that needs to wake up. Bad for business. The temperamental traits that saw Brett Favre through so much over the years are making him back up on them like a Georgia mule.

It isn't nice guy Rogers who needs to say something. It's an apology from the brass.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: