Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

reggie bush days over?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fender

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we ready to make a playoff push? Are we that far off that we, again, jettison our best players in the off-season?

Last season we had very low expectations (Garrard, Moore or Tannehill at starting QB). So trading away Brandon Marshall and Vontae Davis was somewhat palatable because we didnt expect to compete. But actually we DID compete, and fought for a playoff spot deep into the season with a rookie QB.

Philbin has worked some magic (and I trust him to build this team) and had this team competing in the majority of our games. I think his second year we can see some growth and expect to be fighting for a wildcard spot again, I think that would be much easier with Reggie Bush onboard - for both reasons stated above: he is our only playmaker, he is a team leader.

If this is Philbins plan then I will get onboard if he believes Miller can replace his production - but if this is Irelands doing then I will just keep wishing he gets lost in the Everglades...
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion on all RB's (with only one current exception) is they are a product of the system and the line play. It is one of the reason we see so many later round RB draft picks become successful in the NFL. Reggie is a human highlight reel and I love what he can do in space, but he also puts the team in a ton of 2nd and 12s or 3rd and 9s (after the team was 2nd and 4) because he tries to make the big play too often.

I'm not even sure Bush fits the ZBS. the running plays are based off the notion that the RB will recognize the hole, make one cut, hit the hole hard and get up field and too often we saw miss that opportunity.

Reggie is a dynamic players, but Miller is a faster, bigger and younger player, plus the Dolphins have Thigpen to slip into the slot or run the screen that Reggie ran.

In the end it comes down to money....Reggie will most likely ask for about 4 million a year....I'm pretty sure the Dolphins can find a 100 yard rusher (hopefully Miller) for a fraction of that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great news. Finally my Fins are getting the picture. Reggie its been real but unless you are willing to take less pay, good luck.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the right move by Ireland. If he puts the resources (FA, draft picks) to get offensive linemen that are ideal for a ZBS (at least 1 tackle and 1 guard) then it won't matter whether it's Bush or Miller carrying the rock.

Pass on paying an older RB who had 2 - 3 good games this season $5 - 6 million per year when I'd bet Miller could put up just as good numbers on a much cheaper contract.
Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel Thomas and Miller were drafted for this, Bush was a short fix, they arent going to pay top money for a HB, wouldnt be surprised if we brought in a FA to short term deal as insurance, but make no mistakes JP is trying to mirror what GB has, a pass attack happy offense, with a good back not a star back, Reggie wont be in training camp this year, not in south beach.

Adopt a Phins 2014, 1st Pick Ryan Tannehill
Tannehill (2014 Season stats Week-6)
60.8% CMP - 1133 yards -8 TD's - 5 INT's - 81.2 Rat
Miami2DaMax

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought we'd see more of Bush and Miller out there looking for some screens, Miller's got some speed.
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miami2DaMax wrote:
I thought we'd see more of Bush and Miller out there looking for some screens, Miller's got some speed.

They seem to have been asked to stay in and protect the passer because the line, particularly the right side, was gawd awful at protection this year. Bush was under-utilized all season if you ask me.

Funny enough, after this report came out another came out suggesting that Miami may still be interested in signing Bush. They "won't rule out a return".

Its pretty clear the Dolphins don't want to pay 4 million or more a season for Bush. The question is, will he be wanted elsewhere for that amount? I suspect he will, but if not, he could still return to the fold.

Daniel Thomas has been awful for a 2nd round pick. Just awful. Miller showed some flash, but the sample size was very small, and I was extremely surprise the coaching staff didn't have faith that he could step in when they, stupidly, benched Bush in the middle of the season. Thomas filled in and was less than pedestrian. If Bush doesn't resign the Dolphins could look elsewhere. Philbin seemed content in GB to have absolute crap at RB. Sherman has a history of using the RB more than Philbin. Sherman, when coach of the Pack, used Ahman Green and made him a star. Philbin used guys like James Starks, Ryan Grant and Brandon Jackson. I hope we lean more towards Sherman's offensive history and less towards Philbin's.
Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
Miami2DaMax wrote:

They seem to have been asked to stay in and protect the passer because the line, particularly the right side, was gawd awful at protection this year. Bush was under-utilized all season if you ask me.

Funny enough, after this report came out another came out suggesting that Miami may still be interested in signing Bush. They "won't rule out a return".

Its pretty clear the Dolphins don't want to pay 4 million or more a season for Bush. The question is, will he be wanted elsewhere for that amount? I suspect he will, but if not, he could still return to the fold.

Daniel Thomas has been awful for a 2nd round pick. Just awful. Miller showed some flash, but the sample size was very small, and I was extremely surprise the coaching staff didn't have faith that he could step in when they, stupidly, benched Bush in the middle of the season. Thomas filled in and was less than pedestrian. If Bush doesn't resign the Dolphins could look elsewhere. Philbin seemed content in GB to have absolute crap at RB. Sherman has a history of using the RB more than Philbin. Sherman, when coach of the Pack, used Ahman Green and made him a star. Philbin used guys like James Starks, Ryan Grant and Brandon Jackson. I hope we lean more towards Sherman's offensive history and less towards Philbin's.

I would love to get Reggie back he is our one true play maker, I think he is worth the money, I just dont see them coming up with the cash to get him back, maybe I am wrong.

ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Phins do let Bush go would anyone be willing to give Lattimore a shot if they can pick him up in the 4th? Seeing how Peterson recovered from his leg injury and going under the assumption that the former Gamecock would have been a top 20 pick before the injury he could be a great value in the 4th....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
If the Phins do let Bush go would anyone be willing to give Lattimore a shot if they can pick him up in the 4th? Seeing how Peterson recovered from his leg injury and going under the assumption that the former Gamecock would have been a top 20 pick before the injury he could be a great value in the 4th....

My problem with Lattimore is that he has had injuries to both knees. I don't see him having a long career. I wouldn't touch him unless it was for a 6th at the very earliest or 7th but would rather take him as a UDFA.

NFL - Miami Dolphins
College - THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Maddogg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatewood2 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

My problem with Lattimore is that he has had injuries to both knees. I don't see him having a long career. I wouldn't touch him unless it was for a 6th at the very earliest or 7th but would rather take him as a UDFA.

I agree with Skate on Lattimore, as far as Reggie coming back its still a possibility. Most rhetoric at this point is agent driven to help gauge market interest, see if current team may possibly tip its hand and give the pretense that the athlete is controlling where he lands.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 6, Tackles 7 Assists 2 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1

Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 7 : Death 24 Joe 21
skatewood2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
skatewood2 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

I agree with Skate on Lattimore, as far as Reggie coming back its still a possibility. Most rhetoric at this point is agent driven to help gauge market interest, see if current team may possibly tip its hand and give the pretense that the athlete is controlling where he lands.

I don't know if I see Bush coming back either. I agree that he is not quite the type of back that fits out needs unfortunately. The article that came out recently made a great point about Bush being the type of RB that makes his own holes and doesn't hit the hole at the right time and this offense needs a RB to follow the script. I think Bush is a decent back, just not the superstar that some people here make him out to be. I think Miller will fill in just fine for Bush, we just need to know if we have a compliment RB on the roster for Miller or if we need to go get one late in the draft.

NFL - Miami Dolphins
College - THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions might be interested in Bush

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3600/reggie-bush

Quote:
It's an asset the Lions have been sorely missing ever since Jahvid Best went down in Week 6 of the 2011 season.

Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolphinemidget wrote:
Lions might be interested in Bush

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3600/reggie-bush

Quote:
It's an asset the Lions have been sorely missing ever since Jahvid Best went down in Week 6 of the 2011 season.

He'll kick rear end in Detroit if they land him. Much like Brandon Marshall went on to kill it this season in Chicago, we'll be watching Reggie destroy the league in Detroit if he lands there.
phins72

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could bush be used like cobb in GB?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: