Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Joe Robbie Sta...uh Pro-Player sta...I mean Sun Life Stadium
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
Jaytotha wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
JCool333 wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
I love the way the Upgrades look and I have No Doubt they would improve the Stadium.....However I can't agree with EVER having tax dollars go towards an NFL Stadium......it just flat out disgusts me. It's just ridiculous in this day and age that a tax increase is even an option to improve an Entertainment Venue.

At least that money goes back to the community. Just saying I'll leave it at that due to sight rules

I can't agree that any money goes back to the community. Perhaps money goes back to Hotels and Restaraunts for an 8 measly home games a year, but I don't buy into that upgrading Stadiums helps Community / Area Economy......I do buy into the Politicians giving favors to interest groups, like wealthy and powerful NFL Owners.....simple quid pro quo IMO.

Thank you for speaking some sense.

The difference this upgrade will have on the economy in south Florida is not worth 200M in tax dollars. Find some way other than using the money that should be going to making the world a better place. I'd love an upgraded stadium as much as the next guy, but we all know that whatever upgrade there is will be outdated in within ten years and they'll be asking for more money. If you can't find a way to afford the upgrade by charging only those who benefit from it (those who attend games, nearby businesses, the team itself, etc.), then don't upgrade the stadium. That is not what tax money is meant for.

Agreed. Also I have to mention that it's equally disgusting that when games don't sell out the people that paid the tax increase for the Upgrades get to be "Blacked Out" and can't even watch the game on TV. How's that for a Slap in the Face?

Equally back though to Ross. He has ate up tickets for a ton of games so that people can watch at home. Hes also looking at paying the majority. I don't live in Miami so I can just speak from what has happened here in my local city. The canopy would help keep people cool from the sun during games. I think that the payoff would be worth it over time. If Ross doesn't get much love from Miami do you see him keeping the team there?

No way the Dolphins leave Miami anytime in the forseeable future. None. The stadium is actually pretty decent by NFL standards. What Ross wants is to attract the Superbowl. Big money in that and lots of lime light which he clearly loves.

While I am all for improving the stadium, I just wish the sole focus, right now, was on improving the product ON the field. Until that happens, Ross will have trouble giving those seats away.

Let him focus on the stadium....keeps him away from the product on the field. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we seriously attacking Ross for marketing? I am behind him on this 100%. That stadium needs some serious updating. Its not as if he is asking for a new stadium. He is trying to improve the one already present. I would have been ok had he even asked for a retractable dome.
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
Jaytotha wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
JCool333 wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
I love the way the Upgrades look and I have No Doubt they would improve the Stadium.....However I can't agree with EVER having tax dollars go towards an NFL Stadium......it just flat out disgusts me. It's just ridiculous in this day and age that a tax increase is even an option to improve an Entertainment Venue.

At least that money goes back to the community. Just saying I'll leave it at that due to sight rules

I can't agree that any money goes back to the community. Perhaps money goes back to Hotels and Restaraunts for an 8 measly home games a year, but I don't buy into that upgrading Stadiums helps Community / Area Economy......I do buy into the Politicians giving favors to interest groups, like wealthy and powerful NFL Owners.....simple quid pro quo IMO.

Thank you for speaking some sense.

The difference this upgrade will have on the economy in south Florida is not worth 200M in tax dollars. Find some way other than using the money that should be going to making the world a better place. I'd love an upgraded stadium as much as the next guy, but we all know that whatever upgrade there is will be outdated in within ten years and they'll be asking for more money. If you can't find a way to afford the upgrade by charging only those who benefit from it (those who attend games, nearby businesses, the team itself, etc.), then don't upgrade the stadium. That is not what tax money is meant for.

Agreed. Also I have to mention that it's equally disgusting that when games don't sell out the people that paid the tax increase for the Upgrades get to be "Blacked Out" and can't even watch the game on TV. How's that for a Slap in the Face?

Equally back though to Ross. He has ate up tickets for a ton of games so that people can watch at home. Hes also looking at paying the majority. I don't live in Miami so I can just speak from what has happened here in my local city. The canopy would help keep people cool from the sun during games. I think that the payoff would be worth it over time. If Ross doesn't get much love from Miami do you see him keeping the team there?

No way the Dolphins leave Miami anytime in the forseeable future. None. The stadium is actually pretty decent by NFL standards. What Ross wants is to attract the Superbowl. Big money in that and lots of lime light which he clearly loves.

While I am all for improving the stadium, I just wish the sole focus, right now, was on improving the product ON the field. Until that happens, Ross will have trouble giving those seats away.

Let him focus on the stadium....keeps him away from the product on the field. Wink

Ha! Ha! Great point!
Pickle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just there for the Orange Bowl and the only real updates that Sun Life needs are moving the seats closer to the field. I was a couple rows back from the first row and I felt as if I was really far away.
DoLFaN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green4gulf wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:
green4gulf wrote:

gona have to disagree

when they built the new Marlins stadium, ALOT of ppl went to the games just to check out the stadium, me being 1 of them.. it actually does help generate revenue the community
green4gulf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoLFaN wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:
green4gulf wrote:

gona have to disagree

when they built the new Marlins stadium, ALOT of ppl went to the games just to check out the stadium, me being 1 of them.. it actually does help generate revenue the community

Since you're part of the Miami Community.....How much money have you gotten from the new Marlins Stadium?
Maddogg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest lie since girlfriend saying shes not cheating on you.....this pro sports team will be a great boost to the local economy!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/23/3194638/dolphins-hit-braman-and-marlins.html

It seems Ross is pushing hard for local taxation to pay for the stadium and has taken out a few newspaper ads, has some big names backing him and is attacking his critics.

I guess the more I think about it, the more outrageous it is to ask for support from the public for a private venue. When Target comes to town, they don't get the tax payers to pay for the building because the company will bring jobs. Why should the public fund a profit maker for Ross.

Look I love the Dolphins as much as anyone and would LOVE for them to get a state of the art stadium that is the pride of the NFL, but watching a BILLIONAIRE ask for a handout is embarrassing and annoying. In my opinion, he should either foot the entire bill and reap the benefits of that deal, or ask for funding with a split of all profits from the stadium equal to the percentage kicked in by tax payers. I don't see why the risk of the cost should be passed onto the public, while they get no share of the take when profits roll in. Does ANYONE in Florida think taxation for the stadium is appropriate?
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/23/3194638/dolphins-hit-braman-and-marlins.html

It seems Ross is pushing hard for local taxation to pay for the stadium and has taken out a few newspaper ads, has some big names backing him and is attacking his critics.

I guess the more I think about it, the more outrageous it is to ask for support from the public for a private venue. When Target comes to town, they don't get the tax payers to pay for the building because the company will bring jobs. Why should the public fund a profit maker for Ross.

Look I love the Dolphins as much as anyone and would LOVE for them to get a state of the art stadium that is the pride of the NFL, but watching a BILLIONAIRE ask for a handout is embarrassing and annoying. In my opinion, he should either foot the entire bill and reap the benefits of that deal, or ask for funding with a split of all profits from the stadium equal to the percentage kicked in by tax payers. I don't see why the risk of the cost should be passed onto the public, while they get no share of the take when profits roll in. Does ANYONE in Florida think taxation for the stadium is appropriate?

No, I said this earlier, but I believe that he's doing what he can to increase the value of the team to sell in a few years. Having someone else foot the investment only works for him. I'm not sure how the improvements bring in more revenue for the city, unless he is able to bring in a larger number of destination events that will increase travel to the region. I know several years ago Miami put in a bid to host the Super Bowl every year....I could see that indirectly helping the community with the week of events and visitors bolstering the economy, but I doubt it would be enough to justify the 200 million he is asking for....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

No, I said this earlier, but I believe that he's doing what he can to increase the value of the team to sell in a few years. Having someone else foot the investment only works for him. I'm not sure how the improvements bring in more revenue for the city, unless he is able to bring in a larger number of destination events that will increase travel to the region. I know several years ago Miami put in a bid to host the Super Bowl every year....I could see that indirectly helping the community with the week of events and visitors bolstering the economy, but I doubt it would be enough to justify the 200 million he is asking for....

Exactly. And you are right, there will be a benefit to the community, but that is beside the point in many ways. A mom and pop hardware store will also benefit the community. It will provide tax revenue for the city and possibly jobs, but that doesn't mean mom and pop are asking for tax payers to pay for the construction of their store. The benefits are mutual, but the risk is taken by the entrepreneur and as a result he/she is given the largest slice of the financial pie. Ross seems to be asking for the risk to be socialized and the profit to be privatized. If I were a Floridian I think I would be calling my local politicians to make sure they don't take that bait.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

Exactly. And you are right, there will be a benefit to the community, but that is beside the point in many ways. A mom and pop hardware store will also benefit the community. It will provide tax revenue for the city and possibly jobs, but that doesn't mean mom and pop are asking for tax payers to pay for the construction of their store. The benefits are mutual, but the risk is taken by the entrepreneur and as a result he/she is given the largest slice of the financial pie. Ross seems to be asking for the risk to be socialized and the profit to be privatized. If I were a Floridian I think I would be calling my local politicians to make sure they don't take that bait.

There is no reason why he can't recruit private investors to help foot the bill for the renovations in exchange for a nice return on their investments. I don't know how the taxes work in dealing with stadium building/remodeling as I live a small community that will never engage in such a project (sales tax/property tax?), but a Billionaire (over 3 I think) should be able to pay for his own investments or offer opportunities to other entrepreneurs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to say once again, that the biggest Slap in the Face with the local public paying for an NFL franchise's Stadium / Stadium upgrade ( in this case ) is that when a game doesn't sell out, who is it that doesn't get to watch the game on TV.........The locals that just got robbed to pay for the Stadium Upgrade.

For anyone that feels it's OK for tax dollars to pay for this type of BS......I can only come to the conclusions that either you haven't thought about this very much or you just don't pay taxes.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the upgrades are closer to reality...

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/article-1/Unanimous-Committee-Vote-Allows-Stadium-Modernization-Bill-To-Move-Forward/261a0e61-77e1-40ab-b952-5b861ad1eefb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stadium needs to be updated, for those of you who have never been in it, it is hot like bad hot, I also think that Ross is making it known he doesnt want a whole new stadium just to update the one that is their, Hats off to him for trying to make our team better.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: